Tree devastation in Sheffield

On Rustlings Road for example, where there is a campaign to save 12 trees, there are no access issues: double buggies, pushchairs, prams, wheelchairs can all use the pavement fine. Hundreds of runners use the pavement every saturday, again with no issue...

Ah, but what about the cyclists? :huh:

The real test that a footpath is safe is normally measured by the number of cyclists that use it! ;)

Hello. There is a great deal of misinformation and generalisation currently being posted on here with regard to trees. It seems prudent to give people some access to facts. Here is a document by the National Tree Safety Group on Common Sense Risk Management of Trees:

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?cid=CF774754B345CE1A&resid=cf774754b345ce1a!640&app=WordPdf

I hope people find it useful and that it allows them to challenge the misconceptions that people hold.

Please sign the petition: http://chn.ge/1dtg74B. :)

Hello. There is a great deal of misinformation and generalisation currently being posted on here with regard to trees. It seems prudent to give people some access to facts. Here is a document by the National Tree Safety Group on Common Sense Risk Management of Trees:

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?cid=CF774754B345CE1A&resid=cf774754b345ce1a!640&app=WordPdf

I hope people find it useful and that it allows them to challenge the misconceptions that people hold.

Please sign the petition: http://chn.ge/1dtg74B. :)

... and you think a patronising post with a link that doesn't work is going to get more people to sign your petition? :huh:

Ahh sorry. Is anyone else having problems accessing it? I'm sharing this document from Onedrive. If people have any suggestions on how else to allow access - would be very grateful! And FYI my previous post was not in response to you, it was started as a whole separate thread on the common sense risk management of trees - which is why it doesn't really make sense in that spot.

Edited by Mindfulness

A bit more common sense might have led one to this:

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/FCMS024.pdf/$FILE/FCMS024.pdf

Edited by cgksheff

The trees on Psalter lane could also do with thinning out, alternate ones and ones close to junctions need removing to ensure clearer views for pedestrians, drivers and cyclists.

If a Street Tree Strategy was in place, the ecosystem goods and services of such large crowned trees would be valued on a cost:benefit analysis. The monetary worth of the services they provide in terms of pollution control, flood prevention, temperature regulation, biodiversity, habitat, health and well being should be weighed up against any perceived cost. This would be in accordance with best practice, national policies for th preservation of Green Infrastructure and current European directives.

The trees on Psalter lane could also do with thinning out, alternate ones and ones close to junctions need removing to ensure clearer views for pedestrians, drivers and cyclists.

I live there and I don't want them felled. Better managed yes but felling no! Also gven the leaf canopy is quite a way off the ground and I manage to cross the road to get the bus every day with clear line of sight in either direction as do others not sure what you're on about. I also have no visibility problems driving on our road. Never have had in the 23 years we've been here.

Edited by annbaker

I live there and I don't want them felled. Better managed yes but felling no! Also gven the leaf canopy is quite a way off the ground and I manage to cross the road to get the bus every day with clear line of sight in either direction as do others not sure what you're on about. I also have no visibility problems driving on our road. Never have had in the 23 years we've been here.

I understand that Psalter Lane is next on Amey's list, after Nether Edge. You'll get 2 weeks notice and then they'll fell with impunity. If you don't want that to happen Ann, I would politely suggest that you support our campaign here: http://chn.ge/1dtg74B and hope that we win before your felling date. Start a petition, leaflet all your neighbours and tell them what's coming, if they don't already know. You need a strong, united, community in order to take them on. Start building it now. :)

I understand that Psalter Lane is next on Amey's list, after Nether Edge. You'll get 2 weeks notice and then they'll fell with impunity. If you don't want that to happen Ann, I would politely suggest that you support our campaign here: http://chn.ge/1dtg74B and hope that we win before your felling date. Start a petition, leaflet all your neighbours and tell them what's coming, if they don't already know. You need a strong, united, community in order to take them on. Start building it now. :)

I already have but are you saying we're on their hit list? I have been wondering about that given what's been going on in other roads around here but haven't been able to find out. We're likely to chain ourselves to them round here! They're not having our trees because there's nothing wrong with them. They're not causing pavement problems or problems with the road so they can't use that one as an excuse.

I already have but are you saying we're on their hit list? I have been wondering about that given what's been going on in other roads around here but haven't been able to find out. We're likely to chain ourselves to them round here! They're not having our trees because there's nothing wrong with them. They're not causing pavement problems or problems with the road so they can't use that one as an excuse.

Yes, you are on their hitlist Ann, like every other tree-lined street in Sheffield. There are no real pavement issues and the trees are all healthy on Rustlings Road also. That's why we're putting up a fight this end of town! Amey have been doing a 'peppered' approach to felling. One street here and there, 2weeks notice period - there's no time to mount a campaign and people don't get the opportunity to unite. Very stealthy. And completely against TDAG guidance, which counsels full community involvement in the decision making process of managing the urban forest in a sustainable way.