Tree devastation in Sheffield

Don't you live in a building? I do.

There are many different types of buildings including those in trees-Tree houses.

Slightly idiotic to have bought such a house, don't you think, especially when it's main asset is wasted on you?

This is nature and we are part of it

I did post a much angrier comment - but pure, blind ignorance cannot be dispelled with my judgement or incredulity

I bet you perfume your arse though :hihi:

Even if you bought a house with a tree near it, it's not unreasonable to expect the person whose land the tree grows on to carry out a reasonable level of maintenance is it?

Even if you bought a house with a tree near it, it's not unreasonable to expect the person whose land the tree grows on to carry out a reasonable level of maintenance is it?

Maintenance, no

However, wingeing about birds and leaves and other such obvious tree-related, natural occurrences

IS

JUST

PLAIN

STUPID

It is quite clear that these trees need to be cut down for the benefit of the environment (pavements, roads, local housing and the network of underground works etc.) I am in full support of the cutting down these trees and planting smaller replacements. In order to stop all the whinging could the cutting down be phased, cut down and replace trhree trees every three years, this way there would be a balance of new and old.

The problem is that Sheffield City Council do not have a Street Tree Strategy that makes a cost:benefit analysis of trees, on the basis of the ecosystem goods and services that they provide. It is the larger crowned trees that provide the most benefit in terms of pollution control, flood prevention, temperature regulation, biodiversity, habitat, health and well being. SCC should have such a Street Tree Strategy in operation, in order to comply with current national and international best practice. But they don't.

Large trees are the most significant at filtering out air pollutants. This alone gives them a monetary worth and fiscal value that can be quantified with the use of software such as i-tree.

http://www.itreetools.org/

---------- Post added 13-06-2015 at 23:05 ----------

Sheffield's Urban Forest and Green Infrastructure is seriously under threat by Amey.

Please sign the petition here: http://chn.ge/1dtg74B.

Edited by Mindfulness

Maintenance, no

However, wingeing about birds and leaves and other such obvious tree-related, natural occurrences

IS

JUST

PLAIN

STUPID

Why would it be stupid if your home was being damaged?

Edited by Olive

If the tree roots are damaging the footpath they need to be felled. Not to mention safety of the public. My drains were recently damaged by tree roots. An expensive repair. If Amey require some tree felling practice, come to my place.

Again, statutory bodies such as the National Tree Safety group (NTSG) and Trees and Design Action Group (TDAG) counsel against a disproportionate response. A copy of their document can be accessed here: http://1drv.ms/1GEOTEV.

Amey is feeding the public much in the way of misinformation. On Rustlings Road for example, where there is a campaign to save 12 trees, there are no access issues: double buggies, pushchairs, prams, wheelchairs can all use the pavement fine. Hundreds of runners use the pavement every saturday, again with no issue - all of them in overwhelming support of our campaign. This is a Highways Specifications issue, which Amey draw up themselves. SCC should be drawing up these specs, in order to comply with current european directives on conserving green infrastructure and the urban forest. All the trees on Rustlings Road are healthy. SCC should have a Street Tree Strategy that values these large crowned trees in terms of the ecosystem goods and services that they provide.

Edited by Mindfulness

Magpies are considered to be vermin, they kill other birds.

Verminousness is in the eye of the beholder.

Magpies are amongst the most intelligent of all animals, and excellent opportunists, highly adaptable to changing surroundings. They don't destroy crops or carry significant diseases. The fact that they 'kill other birds' doesn't even make them vermin.

Obviously.

Magpies are considered to be vermin, they kill other birds.

So do peregrines. Kestrels. Sparrowhawks. Should they be considered "vermin" because they do what are naturally meant to do?

Are blue tits vermin because they kill caterpillars?

Give over.

I'm not the one who creates the definition of vermin.