Tree devastation in Sheffield

I hope they don't replace the grand old trees with crappy cherry blossoms and other feeble species that never grow more than 10ft tall

Stop our grand old trees from going in the first place lil minx!!!!

1.Sign the petition http://chn.ge/1dtg74B.

2. Write to your councillors https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/roles-who/councillors.html

3. Write to the Star http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/letters-opinion/disgusted-to-lose-beloved-mature-trees-1-7281828

4. Write to your MP https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/roles-who/mps.html

---------- Post added 30-05-2015 at 16:09 ----------

Over 900 supporters now. Wow!! Thankyou

---------- Post added 30-05-2015 at 16:12 ----------

Now the pigeons and magpies have to fight over branches because there just isn't enough space. It's a depressing sight

"Two birds, next to two trees, a Rustlings Road street sign, and one bird is saying to the other bird: ‘I know they’re beautiful and look healthy, I know they clean the air, and I know they’re our home, but doesn’t it make you feel good knowing Amey are going to make the pavement a little less bumpy?"

Please keep signing and sharing this petition, before its too late.

https://www.change.org/p/david-wain-sheffield-city-council-streetsahead-sheffield-gov-uk-save-the-12-trees-on-rustlings-road-sheffield?just_created=true

---------- Post added 02-06-2015 at 14:06 ----------

For those wanting to take more action, there is now a template letter, and some email addresses to send it to, lower down on the petition, at the top of the comments.

Good to see the petition numbers going up, please keep signing and sharing.

Hardly - it is evidently plain that plenty of trees are removed because they cause damage to roads, pavements, drainage systems and property.

If the tree is not causing such issues there is no reason to fell it unless it is diseased.

well dont destroy beautiful mature trees but make the pavement safe

The trees are damaging the pavement with their roots because they are inappropriate for where they are planted...

Feel torn about this issue. Was handed a leaflet in the park on Saturday for the campaign to save the trees on Rustings Road, would be a real shame to lose them and I would like to know what practical measures, if any, can be taken to avoid this.

I've just completed a short course on Mental Health, during which I learned of the link between urban environments and mental illness, specifically increased chances of psychosis. So to a person saying "forget a stupid bunch of trees, what about real issues like the NHS", I would point to that.

I understand why people are concerned about insurance and maintenance costs and health and safety... but you have to wonder what a city would be like to live in were we to always prioritise these things. Surely it would become a sanitised and oppressive place where no-one will want to live. And for how long can Sheffield claim to be one of the greenest cities with an approach of "we've got loads of trees, losing a couple more won't make a difference".

On the other side, I don't think hyperbole like 'tree murder' helps a cause. And why did they plant lime trees of all things, with their famously destructive roots, down an inner city road!?

On balance I'm inclined to sign the petition, in the hope that the decision will be slowed down and options considered, rather than some corporate company bulldozing through it's agenda without consultation or consideration of alternatives.

Feel torn about this issue. Was handed a leaflet in the park on Saturday for the campaign to save the trees on Rustings Road, would be a real shame to lose them and I would like to know what practical measures, if any, can be taken to avoid this.

I've just completed a short course on Mental Health, during which I learned of the link between urban environments and mental illness, specifically increased chances of psychosis. So to a person saying "forget a stupid bunch of trees, what about real issues like the NHS", I would point to that.

I understand why people are concerned about insurance and maintenance costs and health and safety... but you have to wonder what a city would be like to live in were we to always prioritise these things. Surely it would become a sanitised and oppressive place where no-one will want to live. And for how long can Sheffield claim to be one of the greenest cities with an approach of "we've got loads of trees, losing a couple more won't make a difference".

On the other side, I don't think hyperbole like 'tree murder' helps a cause. And why did they plant lime trees of all things, with their famously destructive roots, down an inner city road!?

On balance I'm inclined to sign the petition, in the hope that the decision will be slowed down and options considered, rather than some corporate company bulldozing through it's agenda without consultation or consideration of alternatives.

Trees will be replaced. It wont be long before they will become established. I sawn the past I've noticed the odd tree being removed (typically following it being hit) and no real placement. In this more systematic and organised approach, at least they propose replacements nearby.

Having now walked past the marked trees on Rustlings Road, some clearly have started to force the pavement and kerbs tones upward and further into the road. However, some other marked ones do not seem to have moved the kerbs, and have done less damage than some of the other trees that are being spared. So I presume some different trees have different reasons for their removal.

---------- Post added 09-06-2015 at 09:04 ----------

Re Lime Trees. There are a couple on a thin strip of land between our front garden and the pavement (and about 8 or 9 in total in front of our neighbours'). They were not affected by the recent resurfacing, although other trees on the pavement itself were removed. From a purely selfish point of view I would have preferred it if they had left the kerbside ones and chopped down the Limes. We have long lime tree roots running just along the surface of our front lawn (half buried) heading towards our house (so don't know what if any damage they may be doing to its foundations).

The footpath and drive are sticky underfoot, and the car needs extra cleaning (first world problem, I know), but it just strikes me that there are a lot of other trees which would be more suitable than Limes in an urban environment. The ones near us shed a lot of decaying branches, as well. I don't know If that is normal for Limes, or if there is something wrong with "ours", or if it is a by-product of old council pruning. Extensive low level shoots also, which require regular pruning (by us, so they don't block our footpath).

Still on Limes. I noticed that a tree preservation order has been placed on a large Lime near St Marks at Broomhill (in the garden of 442 Glossop Rd). Fair enough, but it seems incongruous that SCC would strongly "defend" one tree (I don't know if/why anyone wants to cut it down and why it must be preserved) yet push for others to go.

From my point of view, I don't understand why people get so het up about trees! Thank goodness None on my road. The very old ones, make houses dark, the roots run under the foundations of nearby homes, the mess as the leaves fall, clogging up drains/gutters etc. Sheffield is reported to be the greenest city in the country, there are plenty of places for the birds to roost. In fact, the fewer the trees there are for the dratted magpies, jays and pigeons the more I like would like it!! It wouldn't be so bad if the council kept them in check, locally, huge trees have been removed and replaced with trees that will be much more managable.

The title of this thread is a little over top, don't you think? Try going to the Amazon or Borneo and then you will see the true meaning of tree devastation.

From my point of view, I don't understand why people get so het up about trees! Thank goodness None on my road. The very old ones, make houses dark, the roots run under the foundations of nearby homes, the mess as the leaves fall, clogging up drains/gutters etc. Sheffield is reported to be the greenest city in the country, there are plenty of places for the birds to roost. In fact, the fewer the trees there are for the dratted magpies, jays and pigeons the more I like would like it!! It wouldn't be so bad if the council kept them in check, locally, huge trees have been removed and replaced with trees that will be much more managable.

Totally agree.I've got a giant sycamore at the front of my house,it towers above the house,blocks the daylight out,there are that many birds that use it my car looks like Nelsons' column.and cannot get a good reception with my t.v.or my laptop.Asked for it to be taken down twice but they refuse,saying it is healthy.I wonder if these people who campaign to save the trees have one directly in front of their houses?Like to bet there arn't many.Plus,you should see the leaves that drop in the autumn,bet I could fill a skip with em,

Took a walk to my local shops today,first noticed a healthy beautiful cherry tree had been chopped down. When I got to shopping centre I saw the council had chopped down 3 more trees . 2 of these were comparatively young trees. WHAT IS THE COUNCIL PLAYING AT?????.

Totally agree.I've got a giant sycamore at the front of my house,it towers above the house,blocks the daylight out,there are that many birds that use it my car looks like Nelsons' column.and cannot get a good reception with my t.v.or my laptop.Asked for it to be taken down twice but they refuse,saying it is healthy.I wonder if these people who campaign to save the trees have one directly in front of their houses?Like to bet there arn't many.Plus,you should see the leaves that drop in the autumn,bet I could fill a skip with em,

Slightly idiotic to have bought such a house, don't you think, especially when it's main asset is wasted on you?

This is nature and we are part of it

I did post a much angrier comment - but pure, blind ignorance cannot be dispelled with my judgement or incredulity

I bet you perfume your arse though :hihi:

With the attitude of some people you'd think they don't NEED oxygen. They certainly forget that without the trees their garden may become boggy, and the foundations of the house sink, as some houses (like mine) were built on natural springs.

We have lots of trees and bushes around our house. Yes it blocks some light, but it makes living with asthma a lot more pleasant (rather than breathing in fumes from the road), a good wind-break and WAY more pleasant watching the birds than a big empty garden.

Unfortunately the selfish neighbours have put up fences that have killed off a lot of the main hedge. Which was here before the estate was built.

Edited by AlexAtkin