Tree devastation in Sheffield

Is there anything anyone can do to stop the tree murdering which is happening throughout Sheffield? They are now killing beautifu trees in Nether Edge it is so depressing and to be honest taking big absolutely awesome trees at nesting time and replacing them with twigs is horrendous, I'm so upset about this and worried where they will strike next

There was an issue with leaves being a problem in Nether Edge is the council solving this problem?

Rustlings Road online petition signed - although many of Sheffield's street trees were planted with apparently little forethought regarding their suitability and eventual size, I don't accept that these 12 particular trees meet any of the usual criteria for felling (excessive size, disease, or infrastructure damage.)

Much as I love our many trees, and it’s great to see that every felled tree in Walkley has been replaced with a new one, there is another side to this emotive issue.

My 80 year old parents down in the Midlands have endured 5 years of legal wrangling with their local council and housing insurers over subsidence and sewer damage caused to their house. This has finally been traced to a mature tree on the council highway front of their property.

Initially it was blamed on my dad’s apple trees but after felling them and replastering the house walls cracks appeared again. The insurers then installed gauges on the wall and found the land was shifting by 1cm / year.

The amount of money need to repin the house foundations and rebuild the house wall is now approaching £200K all over a set of tree roots.

As of last month the council have finally admitted they’re own liability for the mismanagement of trees and have now agreed to fell this old tree. We then face a wait of several years until its root structure finally dies off.

One small crumb of comfort is that contractors have finally managed to clear tree roots from their sewer and mum and dad can at last use the ground floor toilet that’s been out of commission as long as I can remember.

As it stands they still don’t know if or when they will have to move out to allow repairs to be completed, or even if this will happen in their own lifetime.

You wouldn't be saying that if the trees' roots were destroying the services to or foundations of your home.

I've personal experience of this (not here in Sheff but back home in liverpool) and it's not fun.... unfortunately someone had planted a lovely little sycamore way back when that had grown into a massive destructive behemoth. It had to go.

Surely it's better to remove the over-large trees before they rip up roads and sewage pipes not after?

I'm with you on this.

It appears to be those with not much else in their lives who have the time and energy to worry about a few trees being cut down to benefit the area.

All that excess time and energy could be better channelled into making a difference to real social problems such as the destruction of our NHS, the homeless and vulnerable, cruelty to children and supporting those with mental illness.

Just a thought and my opinion and not meant to offend.

Ps., I love trees too.

Edited by Daven

I only found about about the doomed trees on Rustlings Rd recently, and from that realise this is happening city wide to many, how many, I'm unsure, mature trees in Sheffield, as Amey improve the high ways they are cost cutting sabataging our trees. Please sign petition, and protect Sheffield from unscrupulous contractors. It was clear from attending the meeting yesterday, that proper consultation between residents, hasn't been considered, they ate doing this on mass scale, and we have to stop this, Sheffield mature trees that line the pavements are one of its great charms, it also saddened me to hear the old gas lamps are due to go too!

Improve the pathways, but preserve our nature, history, beauty and heritage. Rather than let greedy contractors just get on with it!!

https://www.change.org/p/david-wain-sheffield-city-council-streetsahead-sheffield-gov-uk-save-the-12-trees-on-rustlings-road-sheffield?just_created=true

Edited by peakma

I have not been in favour of this PFI contract since its inception.

However, now that it is here, it is important to understand that all the operations have been agreed and sanctioned by Sheffield Council in its various guises.

There is no point in giving me a contract to replace a pavement that must be guaranteed for the next 25 years and not allow me to say that it is not possible with those trees growing alongside.

Every tree is being replaced.

Younger, fast-growing trees, are of greater benefit to the environment than older, slower-growing trees.

Trees that do not rip up the roads and pavements are better suited to the urban environment.

I only found about about the doomed trees on Rustlings Rd recently, and from that realise this is happening city wide to many, how many, I'm unsure, mature trees in Sheffield, as Amey improve the high ways they are cost cutting sabataging our trees. Please sign petition, and protect Sheffield from unscrupulous contractors. It was clear from attending the meeting yesterday, that proper consultation between residents, hasn't been considered, they ate doing this on mass scale, and we have to stop this, Sheffield mature trees that line the pavements are one of its great charms, it also saddened me to hear the old gas lamps are due to go too!

Improve the pathways, but preserve our nature, history, beauty and heritage. Rather than let greedy contractors just get on with it!!

https://www.change.org/p/david-wain-sheffield-city-council-streetsahead-sheffield-gov-uk-save-the-12-trees-on-rustlings-road-sheffield?just_created=true

The mature trees around me, have been such a tremendous source of comfort and joy. I don't want to be the generation that looks at saplings! What is happening in Sheffield is a travesity and the contract with Amey is a joke - I'd love to know who set it up. If we want our trees to stay, we're going to have to fight for them, and it looks like direct action might be on the cards. If Amey don't see that 100 yr old trees are more valuable to us than kerb stones - then that's what will be done.

---------- Post added 28-05-2015 at 20:19 ----------

Younger, fast-growing trees, are of greater benefit to the environment than older, slower-growing trees.

Trees that do not rip up the roads and pavements are better suited to the urban environment.

Sorry, but you're wrong. Saplings are not a replacement for heritage trees. They do not provide climate regulation, surface water regulation, improve air quality - or provide the benefits to health and well being that mature trees afford. Best practice does require valuation of ecosystem goods and services and adopting suitable and appropriate policies and practice for the retention of current trees in tree-lined streets. Amey appears to be a little out of touch.

This isn't true is it.

Is there anything anyone can do to stop the tree murdering which is happening throughout Sheffield? They are now killing beautifu trees in Nether Edge it is so depressing and to be honest taking big absolutely awesome trees at nesting time and replacing them with twigs is horrendous, I'm so upset about this and worried where they will strike next
They murdered all the trees on Carterknowle Road too. And not only that, but they shredded their dead bodies into tiny pieces in front of our eyes.

Now the pigeons and magpies have to fight over branches because there just isn't enough space. It's a depressing sight.

---------- Post added 29-05-2015 at 16:29 ----------

less bird excrement all over people's vehicles
Yeah let's socially cleanse the city of birds because they defecate on our cars. Great idea.

I hope they don't replace the grand old trees with crappy cherry blossoms and other feeble species that never grow more than 10ft tall