More homeless now vulnerable, councils cannot just say, "go away, die"

I wonder if this to make tenants look after the property and garden plus pay what is owed and act in a responsible way. otherwise the tenancy agreement would not be renewed.

Ask yourself this question. When you last set foot in a social housing estate, how did you feel? Did the area look tidy and a nice place to live? Usually not.

I remember one estate (I think in Barnsley) where the local council, in an effort to spruce up the place, installed new wooden fencing for all social housing tenants in the summer. By the end of the winter a council worker noticed the fences almost all gone. They couldn't work out why until the spoke to a few people and realised they had ripped up the fencing and used them as fire wood.

---------- Post added 14-05-2015 at 10:20 ----------

Many homeless start to abuse substances after becoming homeless. Alcohol is used as a way to deal with the extreme cold.

I think you have read too much into the article you quote. It clearly states:

Problems with drugs and alcohol are often a contributing factor to someone becoming homeless, conversely problems with drugs and alcohol can develop as a response to homelessness, as people use drink and drugs as a coping mechanism to deal with the harsh realities of being homeless. Four out of five people start using at least one new drug since becoming homeless.

I presume "Boomer" in his post was bemoaning the fact that it was 5 years and not less therefore helping to avoid the above happening and nip any problems in the bud.

Ask yourself this question. When you last set foot in a social housing estate, how did you feel? Did the area look tidy and a nice place to live? Usually not.

I remember one estate (I think in Barnsley) where the local council, in an effort to spruce up the place, installed new wooden fencing for all social housing tenants in the summer. By the end of the winter a council worker noticed the fences almost all gone. They couldn't work out why until the spoke to a few people and realised they had ripped up the fencing and used them as fire wood.

You vote liberal but actually believe this?

I doubt there are any housing estates that are purely council housing these days, the right to buy has existed for 30 years.

But I can think of plenty that are perfectly pleasant, clean and populated with nice people.

What's not good new is the government is planning maximum council tenancies of 5 years

Do you mean you have to be a tenant of five years before you can buy your council house?

Anyhow, how are the homeless tret?

It depends. Are you vulnerable?

If a homeless person presents to their council they are asked a lot of questions and the questions determine if a person is 'vulnerable' and in need of help.

Single? GTFO and go and die on the streets.

Absolute rubbish. Its true to say that single people are the lowest priority but thats because parents are a higher priority but single people are provided accomodation where there is some but there is only so much allocation to go around.

Source: I work for sheff council in the housing dept and liase with homeless all the time

You vote liberal but actually believe this?

I doubt there are any housing estates that are purely council housing these days, the right to buy has existed for 30 years.

But I can think of plenty that are perfectly pleasant, clean and populated with nice people.

I didn't say it happened yesterday nor did I say every house did the same thing.

I didn't say it happened yesterday nor did I say every house did the same thing.

You said that they are not "usually" not a nice place to live or tidy.

You said that they are not "usually" not a nice place to live or tidy.

They aren't. Of all the worst places to live in Sheffield. All had large numbers of social housing. Some were so bad they demolished them (manor top for example)

Evidence please. Or I will assume you just made that up as part of your usual propaganda. (As will anybody else who is familiar with the Mecky/Boomer agenda)

Why do you just lie on the internet? Does it make you feel good about yourself? Genuine question.

Do you mean you have to be a tenant of five years before you can buy your council house?

I await your apologies

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2010/aug/03/lifetime-council-tenancies-contracts-cameron

First thing I saw...

I'm guessing its not this government then

Why isn't it this government then?

Why isn't it this government then?
Because this government wasn't in power in 2010 when the article was written a different government was