Rail strike on the cards

It's all a big game on both sides. The unions need to appear to have a purpose (they do on an individual level and I'm recommend joining for that) to justify the pay for the senior negotiators, and the government negotiators are on the same gravy train so it's in neither side's interest to simply sit down chat through option sensibly and come to a fair agreement on both sides. The governments offers far less than it expects to pay, the union demands far more than it knows is fair and achievable and the game of brinkmanship starts. Absolutely pathetic on both sides. Get staff on remuneration boards so they can understand logic behind pay decisions (both government and private companies). It's not as clear cut as the company made 10% more profit than last year so staff should get a 10% pay rise. Involve good staff in those conversations and you'll have their buy in and if you treat them badly and do not give a fair and reasonable pay rise then you'll lose the staff as the representative will make sure word gets around. It would hold boards more to account to their own staff, but would also (I hope) educate lower level staff that profit does not equal affordability for pay rise etc. This them and us culture is bad for both sides and collaboration and transparency is the way forward. Unless of course your company is totally shafting it's staff then I can see why they'd not be in favour.

remind us again who privatised the railways

---------- Post added 26-05-2015 at 17:21 ----------

you said you would like a pay rise how would you go about achieving that ? and the workers voted to strike and the unions went ahead with their wishes and got the required result :hihi:

Remind us again who could have stopped it or at the very least renationalised in 13 years of government with a decent economy and a huge majority? Blair fell over himself to rubber stamp rail privatisation.

Looks like the strikes back on with a vengeance. RMT throwing their dummies out of the pram.

Are there any specifics on what is wrong with the pay offer now??

Last time they wanted a larger than £500 single payment, the strike was called off so I assume they got it.

Was that offer then taken back or something??

Wonder how many won't bother to go to work Friday and make an early finish Thursday!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32920794

I've just everyone here to do an extra hour the four days before and take Friday off.

I'm sure it has, particularly with folk who work in the private sector and who do not benefit from index linked final salary pensions and retirement at 55. I'm pretty sure many of them have little sympathy with folks who do but still expect the rest of us to dig deeper so that they can have a little more.

Bring on the driverless trains.

If you had a clue what you were talking about, you would know that this dispute is not about train drivers at all.

Train drivers' union is ASLEF not RMT.

---------- Post added 01-06-2015 at 00:55 ----------

Why not? I imagine a proportion of all workers would like a pay rise but we're not all in a position to hold the country to ransom.

How many of the employees voted to strike? A little under half?

Edited by mancmart
Grammer error

Are there any specifics on what is wrong with the pay offer now??

Last time they wanted a larger than £500 single payment, the strike was called off so I assume they got it.

Was that offer then taken back or something??

Nope the unions took the offer to their members and they voted no they wanted more money. Its off again now. So who knows weather the greedy folk will say no again and ask for more.

You would have thought they'd know how much money to ask for before starting negotiations :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

So the strike is now back off again??

I for one am glad that the strike is off. I'have quite a fair bit of travelling to do and didn't fancy going by coach

remind us again who privatised the railways:

Network Rail is privatized, in all but name. So a Government organisation will be getting an above inflation pay rise.

Just wait until the next public sector union is wanting a pay rise, is this Network Rail pay rise the bench mark for everyone else?

Network Rail is privatized, in all but name. So a Government organisation will be getting an above inflation pay rise.

Just wait until the next public sector union is wanting a pay rise, is this Network Rail pay rise the bench mark for everyone else?

I thought only labour did that :hihi: