Should Labour move right or left?

Should Labour move right or left?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Should Labour move right or left?

• Left
    • Right
    • Stay where they are

Well aware of the rate as I do a lot of transactions in Euro. It's been painful and only significantly improved in recent months. Pound/Euro chart for you:

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=EUR&view=5Y

Stocks are in a bubble. Watch out it could pop. Can't tell you enough.

If the Labour Party won an election after a sizeable shift to the left do you think the pound/euro exchange would be impacted and if so positively or negatively?

If the Labour Party won an election after a sizeable shift to the left do you think the pound/euro exchange would be impacted and if so positively or negatively?

I don't think the people involved in the markets care ultimately. They want stability and if a shift to the left offered greater stability the markets would be OK with it.

Are you arguing that a right wing government is the only type of government the markets want? And if we did have a shift to the left how do you think the markets would react? And why?

Well aware of the rate as I do a lot of transactions in Euro. It's been painful and only significantly improved in recent months. Pound/Euro chart for you:

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=EUR&view=5Y

Stocks are in a bubble. Watch out it could pop. Can't tell you enough.

I'm not really sure what you think your link has proved. The rate of Sterling against the Euro has increased over the last 5 years from 1.1` Euros to the Pound to 1.4 Euros to the Pound. That's in sharp contrast to the 13 years under Labour which saw the Pound freefall from almost 1.5 Euros to 1.1 Euros.

I'm pretty good on the stockmarket and probably won't take advice from you. I deal through Hargreaves Lansdown and had a 400% gain between 1980 and 1997, followed by a 35% gain between 1997 and 2010. Things have looked up in the last 5 years with 35% gain in that period too. But thanks for the advice.

I hpe you will be giving your advice to the Labour Party about choice of leader and policy direction. I'm looking foward to them being in opposition for the next decade or so.

Edited by Bigthumb

I'm not really sure what you think your link has proved. The rate of Sterling against the Euro has increased over the last 5 years from 1.1` Euros to the Pound to 1.4 Euros to the Pound. That's in sharp contrast to the 13 years under Labour which saw the Pound freefall from almost 1.5 Euros to 1.1 Euros.

I'm pretty good on the stockmarket and probably won't take advice from you. I deal through Hargreaves Lansdown and had a 400% gain between 1980 and 1997, followed by a 35% gain between 1997 and 2010. Things have looked up in the last 5 years with 35% gain in that period too. But thanks for the advice.

I hpe you will be giving your advice to the Labour Party about choice of leader and policy direction. I'm looking foward to them being in opposition for the next decade or so.

Er, it proves that you are telling porkies. There is no steady progression of 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4..... What it shows is the rate flatlining between 1.15 and 1.25 for most of the last 5 years before improving markedly in the past few months.

Good luck with the stocks and shares.

Er, it proves that you are telling porkies. There is no steady progression of 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4..... What it shows is the rate flatlining between 1.15 and 1.25 for most of the last 5 years before improving markedly in the past few months.

Good luck with the stocks and shares.

If it makes you happy to spin the truth you go ahead. Pound has increased in value from 1.1 Euros to 1.4 Euros during the last Parliament. It went down from 1.5 to 1.1 during Labour's term in office. TBH I don't really care if you actually believe what you post or not. The fact is the electorate clearly know who to trust with the UK economy. The latest growth forcast just reinforces their trust.

Come 2020 the boundary changes will have been implemented. Labour's mess cleared up, and very likely Scotland will have left the union.

I don't think it matters whether Labour moves to the left, the right or moves to Belgium. It isn't going to alter their election prospects. :hihi::hihi:

I shall invest in some more UK stock.

That is precisely the line the Miliband and Balls trotted out for 5 years, and no one believed them. Even the Labour Party have dropped that fable since the election. It is good to see that 5 years of efficient management of the economy has allowed the government to sell large parts of the nationalised banks and actually generate a profit at the same time.

You're wrong - Even the permanent secretary to the Treasury, Sir Nicholas Macpherson, recently rubbished the idea, and admitted the economic disaster was “a banking crisis pure and simple”.

You're wrong - Even the permanent secretary to the Treasury, Sir Nicholas Macpherson, recently rubbished the idea, and admitted the economic disaster was “a banking crisis pure and simple”.

You can believe what you want. What isn't in dispute is the crisis was compounded by Labour overspending in the times of plenty so there was nothing to tide us over the crisis that occured when the wheels came off on their shift.

That is their legacy and it is why the electorate won't trust them on the economy. It was interesting to hear Andy Burnham saying folk should not assume that the Labour Party has reached the bottom of the slope. There is still a distance to fall, followed by a long time when they get there.

You can believe what you want. What isn't in dispute is the crisis was compounded by Labour overspending in the times of plenty so there was nothing to tide us over the crisis that occured when the wheels came off on their shift.

That is their legacy and it is why the electorate won't trust them on the economy. It was interesting to hear Andy Burnham saying folk should not assume that the Labour Party has reached the bottom of the slope. There is still a distance to fall, followed by a long time when they get there.

There's no evidence that Labour overspent. Spending accelerated when the crisis hit. I can get you another chart if you like.

---------- Post added 31-05-2015 at 17:44 ----------

If it makes you happy to spin the truth you go ahead. Pound has increased in value from 1.1 Euros to 1.4 Euros during the last Parliament. It went down from 1.5 to 1.1 during Labour's term in office. TBH I don't really care if you actually believe what you post or not. The fact is the electorate clearly know who to trust with the UK economy. The latest growth forcast just reinforces their trust.

Come 2020 the boundary changes will have been implemented. Labour's mess cleared up, and very likely Scotland will have left the union.

I don't think it matters whether Labour moves to the left, the right or moves to Belgium. It isn't going to alter their election prospects. :hihi::hihi:

I shall invest in some more UK stock.

I'm not spinning anything. Cold hard facts prove that you were telling lies.

Very interesting piece in Saturday's Mirror, almost praising Andy Burnham for adopting and supporting Tory policies on clamping down on benefits.

The Guardian reported this:

Andy Burnham rules out union funding in bid for Labour leadership

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/21/andy-burnham-no-union-funding-labour-leadership-bid

But sadly other news sources on Sunday reported this:

REVEALED: UNIONS’ £20,000 FOR LABOUR HOPE ANDY BURNHAM

http://www.sunnation.co.uk/revealed-unions-20000-for-labour-hope-andy-burnham/

There's no evidence that Labour overspent. Spending accelerated when the crisis hit. I can get you another chart if you like.

---------- Post added 31-05-2015 at 17:44 ----------

I'm not spinning anything. Cold hard facts prove that you were telling lies.

Hey that's fine. The Tories won the election because of Labour's mismanagement of the economy. You can believe what you like, but the majority of the electorate had a different view. A defining moment just before polling day occured when a blustering Miliband tried to sell your line. It clearly didn't wash with the electorate. The damage done to Labour is immesurable, but it is good viewing. :hihi::hihi::hihi:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/04/milibands-refusal-to-admit-that-labour-overspent-could-cost-him-dear/

http://labourlist.org/2015/05/to-regain-trust-labour-must-admit-we-spent-too-much-says-burnham/

The spending deficit was too high in the years before the 2008 financial crash, Andy Burnham will say today. In a major speech this morning, the leadership candidate will say that Labour must make this admission in order to regain trust on the economy:

“If we are to win back trust we have to start by admitting that we should not have been running a significant deficit in the years before the crash.”

Edited by Bigthumb

Well, with the rise of Jeremy Corbyn, (now ahead in the polls,) it looks like Labour might be moving left.

I've been surprised at the vehement opposition to him, from Labour itself, which mostly comprises insults and calling people 'morons.' Hardly parliamentary behaviour. Nobody seems to have asked themselves the question 'Why is he gaining support, and what does that say?'

Well, with the rise of Jeremy Corbyn, (now ahead in the polls,) it looks like Labour might be moving left.

I've been surprised at the vehement opposition to him, from Labour itself, which mostly comprises insults and calling people 'morons.' Hardly parliamentary behaviour. Nobody seems to have asked themselves the question 'Why is he gaining support, and what does that say?'

i think it says that an opinion poll amongst those who get to vote on the labour leadership is rather different from an opinion poll amongst those who get to vote for a government.