What do you do with your 'grass clippings' ?

Hello I was wondering what you did with your grass clippings.

I recently moved house before we had a compost heap at the bottom of the garden which was in an area of no mans land if you want to call it that anyway I don't have a compost heap or bin the amount of grass I cut is too much to just throw in the black bin I was considering getting a green bin because I don't want a compost bin that sits at the bottom of your garden

Just wondering what you do with yours ?

I recently moved house before we had a compost heap at the bottom of the garden which was in an area of no mans land if you want to call it that anyway I don't have a compost heap or bin the amount of grass I cut is too much to just throw in the black bin I was considering getting a green bin because I don't want a compost bin that sits at the bottom of your garden

Mowed my lawn this afternoon and put the clippings in the black wheelie bin then just tipped a load of kitchen rubbish on top of it. If Veolia want to make a bob or two by recycling it into xanthrophyll and chlorophyll, then all's well and good. ;)

I use it as a mulch around the borders as it saves the once a year compost bin emptying session.

I have a compost bin for grass clippings and it's about the size of a green bin so I can't see why you wouldn't want one.

The clippings are high in nitrogen so are a good mulch for plants. We save ours for that reason :)

Ive spread it about the borders and turned it into the soil abit before but I find it smells after a couple of weeks not very nice

Ive spread it about the borders and turned it into the soil abit before but I find it smells after a couple of weeks not very nice

You need to compost with dryer material and material that is a bit more woody and takes longer to break down. It goes slimy and smelly if its just wet grass clippings.

As fresh material breaks down it initially removes nitrogen from the soil so it needs to be composted first before applying around plants.

sure theres compost bins which look like beehives now also you can buy like a lime base product to help it break down faster in the bin