Should you ever forgive an infidelity?

Yesterday it was revealed that Sally Bercow, the wife of the Speaker in the House of Commons, allegedly had an affair with her husband’s cousin. Sally has reportedly taken all responsibility for the infidelity and wants to remain friends. Joining us today are two women who’ve experienced cheating from both sides of the situation, author Marina Pearson, who cheated on her newly wedded husband , and private detective Rebecca Jane, who was cheated on and managed to find it in her heart to forgive.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3076663/Heartbroken-Sally-Bercow-s-tears-affair-husband-s-cousin.html

a cheat is always a cheat.

Crumbs, she looks rough in those pics.

She sure does :-) lol

Long years ago, this was discussed on a TV show after the Society of Friends (Quakers) had released a paper saying that one act of adultery did not necessarily mean the end of a marriage.

Lady Isobel Barnet said "It seems these Quakers think you can commit adultery till you go blue in the face!"

"What a way to go!" said Gilbert Harding.

The angel fish came on screen; apparently a riot had broken out in the studio, and "normal service" was not restored for ten minutes!

Does anyone else remember the angel fish that appeared when the studio broke down?

I don't believe infidelity is a "forgivable offence".

If they'll cheat once, there's every chance they will cheat again.

Also, if his "whatnot" has been near someone else's "whatsit", I would not want it anywhere near mine, you don't know what he might have picked up. ugh!

Based on what evidence?

How about if there were certain circumstances that led someone to cheat and they regretted it and never did it again?

How many years ago you talking about?

I described the angel fish screen saver shown when there was a break in the studio. Since we saw the program in either Sheffield or Birmingham it must have been after 1951. It was before most programs went to air pre-recorded.

I can't be sure of the program on which Gilbert Harding and Lady Isobel had their disagreement -- have been trying to find a reference to it.

Isobel Barnett and Gilbert Harding used to appear on "Whats my Line?"

I don't believe infidelity is a "forgivable offence".

Also, if his "whatnot" has been near someone else's "whatsit", I would not want it anywhere near mine, you don't know what he might have picked up. ugh!

Why should that not apply to all forms of deceit?

If someone lies,will they stop lying.Lots of people raise children on "white" lies and then wonder why they turn into liars and deceivers.

I think its a personal decision dependent upon the circumstances at the time.

I think the circumstances are more important than the offence.

It depends on the circumstances and the personalities involved. If one partner couldn't have sex any more because of a medical condition for instance, it may be understandable but also maybe still hurtful.

Also in some cases people are married in name only and hate each other, and don't care what they get up to just so long as they don't have to be in the same room as their partner.

But yes, I've known men cheat on their wives and usually they cheat more than once.

Sally Bercow's life is a bit of a car smash. I never thought I'd feel sorry for her but looking at the state of her, you can't but be a bit sympathetic.

Why should that not apply to all forms of deceit?

If someone lies,will they stop lying.Lots of people raise children on "white" lies and then wonder why they turn into liars and deceivers.

I think its a personal decision dependent upon the circumstances at the time.

I think the circumstances are more important than the offence.

well, there may be some truth in that, Willman.

My mother (who had many "sayings") used to say "You can get to the bottom of a theif, but you'll never get to the bottom of a liar"

and I wholeheartedly accept that cheating on your partner is similar to lying, as, yes, they are both deceit.