Why do people object to Call to Prayer?

Freedom with limitations isn't really freedom.

Where'd you get that one? Christmas cracker? Fortune cookie?

It's the "if i'm not free to fiddle with kids" then my freedoms are limited logic.

-Pure Smiffy -

I didn't get it from anywhere, if there are limitations to the freedom of religion then freedom of religion doesn't apply to everyone. Some can follow every aspect of their religion and some can't.

Church bells have rung out over this country for a thousand years, they invoke Englishness, democracy, peace, honesty, prosperity.

The Muslim Call to prayer is alien, it invokes thoughts of suicide bombers, burning pilots, beheaded taxi drivers, intolerance, unfairness and death.

It has no place in this country.

I concur.

If this wailing disturbed me in any way, I would be contacting the Council noise abatement department in double quick time. Thankfully out here in S35 we only get the gentle peel of Church bells around 10.30 on a Sunday morning. I like the sound of the bell, serves as a reminder that my old Mum and Dad are together in the Kirk yard for eternity.

Angel1.

I didn't get it from anywhere, if there are limitations to the freedom of religion then freedom of religion doesn't apply to everyone. Some can follow every aspect of their religion and some can't.

Examples of that please.

---------- Post added 12-05-2015 at 18:53 ----------

Church bells have rung out over this country for a thousand years, they invoke Englishness, democracy, peace, honesty, prosperity.

The Muslim Call to prayer is alien, it invokes thoughts of suicide bombers, burning pilots, beheaded taxi drivers, intolerance, unfairness and death.

It has no place in this country.

Only among those narrow minded enough or brainwashed enough into thinking so.

It reminds me of a very pleasant time spent sleeping on the roof of a hotel in Istanbul.

There isn't an audible call to prayer where I live now, but I can see the mosque over the valley from us and I like the look of it against the sky. It reminds me I live in a free and tolerant society too (yourself excepted of course).

No one can follow every aspect of their religion.

Cricket on the village green.

What if you don't live in a village?

A pint of English beer with friends in the local pub or club.

I like this one. Doesn't have to be English beer though, there are some very fine beers from other countries.

Roses growing around a door.

:huh:

Lovers underneath a sycamore tree.

:confused:

Freedom from religious fanatics.

I don't have a problem with religious fanatics. What people want to be fanatical about is entirely up to them. I certainly do not need emancipating from somebody with a passion for something.

Islam is not part of our culture, its an import. Its free to operate within the confines of our law and society, but to broadcast the call the prayer is wrong in my opinion and will cause people to resent Islam even more.

I assume this is not something being called for by the majority of Muslims either, but more a tiny minority that enjoys berating the majority none Muslim population helped by do gooders who have nothing better to do.

It's a none story.

An import? You mean like those other middle-eastern religious imports, Judaism and Christianity...?

---------- Post added 12-05-2015 at 21:29 ----------

(1)Cricket on the village green.

(2)A pint of English beer with friends in the local pub or club.

(3)Roses growing around a door.

(4)Lovers underneath a sycamore tree.

(5)Freedom from religious fanatics.

1) Football hooliganism?

2) drunken yobs fighting and spewing all over the street, and young women falling over showing next week's dirty laundry

3) the lovely newly-planted trees on Devonshire green etc, either snapped in half by mindless idiots, or standing folornly, with branches ripped off.

4) being unable to sit beneath a tree for fear of getting splattered by bird poop.

5) shaven-headed neo-nazi nasties, trying to tell ordinary people what religion they can or cannot follow, whilst waving swastika- strewn flags.

An import? You mean like those other middle-eastern religious imports, Judaism and Christianity...?

They are the traditional religions of this Country[Although now on the way out along with fairy stories].

But they were around centuries before some one decided we needed another one to cause more trouble,wars and untold misery for mankind.

As John Lennon said Imagine!!!!!

It's just a discordant din. I don't have that much of a problem with it on special occasion, but not five times a day. People have watches, phones and other devices with the time on. They don't need shouting to remind them to go and pray.

It's just a discordant din. I don't have that much of a problem with it on special occasion, but not five times a day. People have watches, phones and other devices with the time on. They don't need shouting to remind them to go and pray.

Mmmm, maybe, but heard live, rather than recorded, at 5 in the morning in the predawn light of a soon to be swelteringly hot Istanbul on the rooftop where you slept and with the faint whiff of sewerage mixing in with other exotic scents, it can be quite lovely.

Besides, I don't know of any mosques that are broadcasting it five times a day anyway.

---------- Post added 12-05-2015 at 21:29 ----------

1) Football hooliganism?

2) drunken yobs fighting and spewing all over the street, and young women falling over showing next week's dirty laundry

3) the lovely newly-planted trees on Devonshire green etc, either snapped in half by mindless idiots, or standing folornly, with branches ripped off.

4) being unable to sit beneath a tree for fear of getting splattered by bird poop.

5) shaven-headed neo-nazi nasties, trying to tell ordinary people what religion they can or cannot follow, whilst waving swastika- strewn flags.

You missed child grooming in Rotherham.

Forced Marriage between cousins that are little more than children [with all the health problems that brings.

Mobs mocking our troops returning from trying to free Afghanistan from the Taliban or Isis .

That lot make football supporters and street drinkers look like angels.