Why do people object to Call to Prayer?

Church bells don't normally call people to church. Church's near to me don't sound anything.

Unless on special occasions I don't think I've heard bells ringing in a long while, other than my local church in Ranmoor, which would probably take a miracle to stop.

---------- Post added 12-05-2015 at 11:24 ----------

Is it any different to Church bells ringing?

Wailing 5 times a day I would say it is different.

Islam is not part of our culture, its an import. Its free to operate within the confines of our law and society, but to broadcast the call the prayer is wrong in my opinion and will cause people to resent Islam even more.

I assume this is not something being called for by the majority of Muslims either, but more a tiny minority that enjoys berating the majority none Muslim population helped by do gooders who have nothing better to do.

It's a none story.

What is wrong with being a do gooder? Do you have a problem with people who do good?

Do you do bad?

Is it any different to Church bells ringing?

Of course it is ................... it's awful.

Even church bells can get on your nerves ............ but that wailing through a microphone is enough to send you insane. :gag:

What is wrong with being a do gooder? Do you have a problem with people who do good?

Do you do bad?

You are assuming the literal term and not the actual definition. The term is interchangeable with Bleeding Heart Liberal's.

A do-gooder is someone who champions a cause usually for no reason other than they want to be seen to be helping.

You are assuming the literal term and not the actual definition. The term is interchangeable with Bleeding Heart Liberal's.

A do-gooder is someone who champions a cause usually for no reason other than they want to be seen to be helping.

As a term, 'do-gooder' is a negative, not a positive.

What did a Quaker teacher, a Methodist preacher, a former slave, a former slaver, a ship's doctor, a businessman, an African composer, a Baron, a scholar, an outspoken widow, a lawyer and a wealthy politician have in common?

'Do-gooders'?

The bells sound appealing (no pun) the awful call to prayer sounds, well awful and alien

To you. Personally I dislike the sound of church bells as they sound like clattery metal things being rolled down stairs.

In contrast, to me, the sound of the muslim call to prayer is quite appealing and has a strong feel of 'holiness' that, to me, bells lack (I'm not a muslim, by the way).

It also doesn't go on for very long, unlike the bells, which can often be clanging away for hours.

I consider a 'do gooder' to be somebody who has peoples best interests at heart.

What a pity this is not a trait you particularly like in a person.

---------- Post added 12-05-2015 at 12:20 ----------

As a term, 'do-gooder' is a negative, not a positive.

What did a Quaker teacher, a Methodist preacher, a former slave, a former slaver, a ship's doctor, a businessman, an African composer, a Baron, a scholar, an outspoken widow, a lawyer and a wealthy politician have in common?

'Do-gooders'?

Right...:confused:

I consider a 'do gooder' to be somebody who has peoples best interests at heart.

This is true - but they are also misguided and quite often do more harm than good

---------- Post added 12-05-2015 at 12:33 ----------

To you. Personally I dislike the sound of church bells as they sound like clattery metal things being rolled down stairs.

In contrast, to me, the sound of the muslim call to prayer is quite appealing and has a strong feel of 'holiness' that, to me, bells lack (I'm not a muslim, by the way).

It also doesn't go on for very long, unlike the bells, which can often be clanging away for hours.

You can only be saying that for effect. Or you haven't had to put up with the awful wailing for very long

What a pity this is not a trait you particularly like in a person.

I can see where you are getting confused. Do-Gooder is a slang term, unlike such similar terms/words as anti-establishment etc.

You seem to think it means "do good", but it does not. The general consensus is a well-meaning but unrealistic or interfering philanthropist or reformer.

They may mean well, in their heart, but in reality they are just interfering for own selfish means.

Its generally used a pejorative term aimed at those that are apologists or give sucker to people and things that the majority of society find unacceptable, such as wanting prisoners to be allowed to vote, not wanting to deport foreign criminals etc.

Its generally used a pejorative term aimed at those that are apologists or give sucker to people and things that the majority of society find unacceptable, such as wanting prisoners to be allowed to vote, not wanting to deport foreign criminals etc.

The majority once thought homosexuality, womens rights, darkies, sexism, racism was just dandy and acceptable, then what happens, the minority do-gooders came along and shoved their patronizing self opinionated rock the boat noses in it. Without them we'd still have the Black n White Minstrels on a Sunday.