Fly fishing in Sheffield and surrounding areas

Greetings everyone!

I am wanting to try my hand at fly fishing and finally getting down to doing something about it as opposed to thinking about it.

Can anyone recommend any good places to fish? There are a few in Sheffield but Derbyshire seems to be the place. Any fisherman out there with stories to tell of 14lb rainbow trout that nearly pulled them over the boat please let's have them!!!

Dam Flask? I know it is stocked with trout but is is any good for fly fishing?

Please let me know your thoughts!

Thank you.

they stopped stocking damflask with trout years ago, when the Stillwater closed season was abolished

probably very few left in there now

River Don - free fishing and very good for both trout and grayling. Otherwise yes, probably Derbyshire is your best bet; Ladybower, big reservoir with rainbows and browns, Barlow, small fishery with both fly and coarse pools. Further afield, Carsington - brilliant fishing but boat only and hence expensive.

Wharncliffe trout fishery is off the stocksbridge by pass. Tickets are about £15 which can be bought online.

As a starter to fly fishing i would recommend Barlow fisheries four small ponds/lakes to try your hand at, not to overpowering and you will catch.