The Scottish Question.

Both Cameron and Churchill were/are both members of the Conservative and Unionist Party. It's their official name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_Party_%28UK%29

Just in case you don't bother to look it up. They took the name when . . .

"The widening of the electoral franchise in the 19th century forced the Conservative Party to popularise its approach."

Good old tory's, Divide and Rule, they will do whatever they need to to stay on top of the pile and damn the consequences. Always have and always will.

You sound bigoted and bitter. You do know you can change.

On the subject of the real name of the conservatives, I assumed that you where referring to the DUP or other Unions parties in the UK. It was an easy mistake to make, but I was wrong.

I don't see how your opinion becomes fact about how Cameron is going to deal with the SNP. The fact that he has said he is the PM of the entire nation, would suggest to me and most sane people he is not interested in seeing Scotland leave the union.

It seems to me that the Scottish referendum voted to stay united with England was mainly because they were promised the earth by all the other parties. Which as far as I can see has not come to fruition. In a word, they were duped.

The general election and the total dominance by the SNP is purely and simply a realisation that they were duped and so didn't vote for anyone else (with one exception) except the SNP. It's a backlash at being made to feel fools in the referendum....Remember the Queen 'Purring' quote by Cameron?

Edited by PeteMorris

It seems to me that the Scottish referendum voted to stay united with England was mainly because they were promised the earth by all the other parties. Which as far as I can see has not come to fruition. In a word, they were duped.

The general election and the total dominance by the SNP is purely and simply a realisation that they were duped and so didn't vote for anyone else (with one exception) except the SNP. It's a backlash at being made to feel fools in the referendum....Remember the Queen 'Purring' quote by Cameron?

How much do you reckon could have been done in the 6 months or so since the referendum? Genuine question..

You sound bigoted and bitter. You do know you can change.

On the subject of the real name of the conservatives, I assumed that you where referring to the DUP or other Unions parties in the UK. It was an easy mistake to make, but I was wrong.

I don't see how your opinion becomes fact about how Cameron is going to deal with the SNP. The fact that he has said he is the PM of the entire nation, would suggest to me and most sane people he is not interested in seeing Scotland leave the union.

I havn't an opinion about how Cameron is going to deal with the SNP, but he hasn't started very well. What I have said is that he has demonised the Scottish people in the election campaign which is not a good starting point for uniting the UK.

Of course he is the PM of the entire nation (bleedin' obvious). What he 'suggests' is a classic smoke and mirrors politicians quote. Even if your interpretation is right just because Cameron says something don't mean he is going to achieve it.

"Where there is discord, may we bring harmony. Where there is error, may we bring truth. Where there is doubt, may we bring faith. And where there is despair, may we bring hope." Paraphrased quote of St. Francis of Assisi, after Thatcher won election in 1979

......................................what a joke that was.

Scotland would be like Ireland

Seperated into a sectarian divide?

I havn't an opinion about how Cameron is going to deal with the SNP, but he hasn't started very well. What I have said is that he has demonised the Scottish people in the election campaign which is not a good starting point for uniting the UK.

Do you have any examples of this demonisation? Genuine question

and they weren't promised the moon on a stick by Salmond??

How ****** off do you think they would be when the realised he was completely full of sh*t????

Now that the SNP has won 56/59 seats comments about them are comments about Scotland. See my bold some Scottish Torys could see it coming too.

Sir John Major used a speech in the Midlands to say a Labour government would be subjected to a "daily dose of blackmail" from the nationalists.

But the line of attack has led to disquiet among some Scottish Conservatives, with former Scottish Secretary Lord Forsyth telling the Guardian the party's "short-term" focus on the SNP could backfire, boosting support for the nationalists and threatening the "integrity" of the union.

And former Conservative chairman Lord Tebbit told the BBC's Newsnight Mr Cameron's repeated warnings about the SNP were "puzzling", "pointless" and might even push Scots to vote tactically for Labour.

Full article = http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32390121

The below is not exactly demonisation but let Fleet Street headline writers get hold of these and it may not be far off.

Cameron:-

“This would be the first time in our history that a group of nationalists from one part of our country would be involved in altering the direction of our country, and I think that is a frightening prospect.”

The Scottish National party “do not even want our country to succeed, that is why it is so calamitous”.

“Frankly this is a group of people that would not care what happened in the rest of the country. The rest of the United Kingdom – Wales, Northern Ireland and England – would not get a look-in, and that is the prospect we face if we don’t get the majority Conservative government that is within our reach.”

“The SNP do not want to come to Westminster to contribute to a government. They want to come to Westminster to break up our country.”

Edited by Flanker7

It must be an interesting interpretation of demonising as it clearly didn't upset the Scots. The Tories got almost exactly the same number of votes in Scotland as they did in 2010. Labour on the other hand didn't.

It must be an interesting interpretation of demonising as it clearly didn't upset the Scots. The Tories got almost exactly the same number of votes in Scotland as they did in 2010. Labour on the other hand didn't.

The slogan "Vote Labour get the SNP" was for the English voters, Doh! and it worked. Its the back-lash from Scotland that will stay with the UK for decades.

How much do you reckon could have been done in the 6 months or so since the referendum? Genuine question..

I can't remember the precise details, but weren't they promised something or other to be decided and in place 'prior' to the general election? Which didn't happen!

If the timescale was too tight, they shouldn't have promised it...It's pretty simple. But of course, if they had been honest, and said it's not going to happen for 'x' amount of months they probably wouldn't have got a 'no' vote.

I expect that's what galls the Scots.

The slogan "Vote Labour get the SNP" was for the English voters, Doh! and it worked. Its the back-lash from Scotland that will stay with the UK for decades.

You seem to read rather too much into similarities between a referendum and the UK elections.

Scotland had a referendum a few months ago in which around 45% of the voters voted to go for independence. 55% voted against.

That is nothing much to do with voting in a General Election where there is a multi choice question of who the voter would like to represent them in the UK parliament.

In that election 50% of those who voted voted SNP. 50% voted for other alternatives. Some may well have voted SNP hoping for independence. Others voted SNP because they thought they would ring a better deal out of theUK government for their constituency.

Ironically the better the deal the SNP do get for Scotland the worse is their case for independence. I also suspect there are a few in Scotland who are hoping to extract more for themselves from Westminster, but would be terrified of over stepping the mark and actually being cast adrift from the UK. That can't happen in a General Election.

Edited by evil woman