Proper pasty company, minimum spend £3 on cards

Went in this shop quite a while ago are the pasties still as good ? Can't see a problem with the minimum spend.

What the bloody hell is wrong with CASH? In that time, you could have gone to one of many nearby cash points and got some NOTES! It is like these bloody hipsters in Wetherspoons, each paying for their own pint of shandy by card.

i was just gonna post use cash, i go nowhere without cash

i was just gonna post use cash, i go nowhere without cash

I rarely carry cash these days but the Op made a good point in saying the pasties are high priced anyway so no doubt the shop could afford to pay the 10p its better than loosing business and also the card readers bring business in so there charging YOU for the pleasure of something that benefits the company

Gregg's used to have the same £3 policy (How do you spend £3 at Gregg's?) Anyway, since they abolished it I eat there almost exclusively on my dinner break.

Vote with your feet, eat somewhere else, card is the future, and the sooner they realise that the better.

I didn't have any cash on me and had to be back at work 15 minutes later so no time to go to a machine.

People still seem to be missing the point about the minimum being just a few pence more than a lot of the pasties they sell. It's the main thing they sell so why put the minimum at that point. It must cost them a fair few customers every week which they could avoid if they put the minimum slightly lower, say to £2.75. And maybe put a sign in the window too warning people.

---------- Post added 09-05-2015 at 16:06 ----------

Most smaller shops are like this? I'm not sure what the problem is? You could have just bought something extra to make the price up?

You can't be from Yorkshire.

Edited by I1L2T3

Popped in this week to the one by the peace gardens. Chose a pasty (£2.95), tried to pay with my debit card and got told I had to spend £3 minimum. Told them I didn't want the pasty. How much business do they lose doing that. People pay by card all the time for much smaller amounts in other shops and it's not like there isn't a big mark-up on their pasties to begin with.

How much business do they lose? Probably none apart from yours.

If it cost them business, they wouldn't do it.

The last time I went in there (about 4 or more years ago?) it was a £5 spend.

As I was meeting my other half in town, I decided to get him a snack and yeah.. I had to buy a coke and crisps or something, as I didnt have cash on me and there was no bank nearby at the time.

Its quite common in smaller places.. just be glad you werent trying to use an American Express card, as some places are allowed to pass the fee onto you.

Having worked in a shop in the past they used to charge for under a fiver. Any less than that and there was a 20p charge. Card transactions can eat into the operating costs of small businesses so it's fair enough for me.

The shop in the OP should have just rounded up the price of the pasty to £3 really. Would have solved the problem and I'm sure the OP wouldn't have minded paying 5p more for it.

Having worked in a shop in the past they used to charge for under a fiver. Any less than that and there was a 20p charge. Card transactions can eat into the operating costs of small businesses so it's fair enough for me.

The shop in the OP should have just rounded up the price of the pasty to £3 really. Would have solved the problem and I'm sure the OP wouldn't have minded paying 5p more for it.

That's the sales gimmick gone though. I was once reading an article in a trade mag a few years back, something to do with Woolworths i think, and they had proven that people would purchase an item if it was marked up at £9.99, but they tried the same tack a week later and put the price up to £10 and sales fell, kinda like when they advertise a sofa for under £600 and then you notice it is actually £599.99 saving you one whole penny, I know we are talking different prices, but the principle is still the same, but, as the article stated, people tend to shop at the first number of the price. I will see if i can find the article online..

They will be breaking the T&C's of the contract with their card provider by imposing a minimum spend or imposing a surcharge to pay by card.

It's annoying isn't it! The best thing you can do is vote with your feet and shop elsewhere. :)

The best thing you can do is vote with your feet and shop elsewhere. :)

Like the Pound Bakery!