2015 Election night discussion.

If you can't beat em....

Anyway, where else am I supposed to stash my bloated, public sector, fat cat salary?

And your gold plated (the mail told me) pension? I don't know. But you should pay 90% tax on your giant bloated public sector salary. It's only fair.

I'm intrigued, what's your alternative system?

I think the digital currencies have huge potential :nod:

PS - I1 can answer on your behalf but tell him/her not to get upset if someone replies to the posts.:)

Ok bossy :)

Now we're getting somewhere and hopefully I can help you understand the folly of your argument.

If you walk away from one bank to another then you most likely don't escape the first one. They are all interconnected either directly or indirectly through a multitude of different markets trading a multitude of products: wholesale credit, debt obligations, credit swaps etc... The chances are very high that your new bank is trading heavily with your old one.

So that brings us back to your suggestion of not using a bank if you feel the need to criticise the banking sector. Can you explain to everybody just how that would work? Not using a bank that is.

Building societies exist, owned by their members.

I believe theres also something called cash, accepted widely throughout the nation.

Cash can be used to buy groceries, petrol etc and to pay all utility bills at the post office.

But then I accept that banks, for all their faults, are necessary in the modern world and do not demonise them.

Of course, if you despise the banking sector so much you can show them how unhappy you are by continuing to use them.

---------- Post added 10-05-2015 at 19:10 ----------

I think the digital currencies have huge potential :nod:

:)

Damn, I was expecting return to bartering.

I don't use a bank.

My cash is in a mutual. My investments are done by a fund manager.

You could argue that the latter is pretty much like a bank, but for everyday stuff there are plenty of options out there.

Sorry but building societies can get 50% of their funding from non-members, sources like wholesale credit markets - the big bad banks.

If you chose your mutual wisely you might be ok..........

---------- Post added 10-05-2015 at 19:20 ----------

Building societies exist, owned by their members.

I believe theres also something called cash, accepted widely throughout the nation.

Cash can be used to buy groceries, petrol etc and to pay all utility bills at the post office.

But then I accept that banks, for all their faults, are necessary in the modern world and do not demonise them.

Of course, if you despise the banking sector so much you can show them how unhappy you are by continuing to use them.

---------- Post added 10-05-2015 at 19:10 ----------

Damn, I was expecting return to bartering.

I don't despise the sector. I just want it to work better. Given that the banks cost us thousands for every citizen that is entirely reasonable.

Sorry but building societies can get 50% of their funding from non-members, sources like wholesale credit markets - the big bad banks.

If you chose your mutual wisely you might be ok..........

---------- Post added 10-05-2015 at 19:20 ----------

I don't despise the sector. I just want it to work better. Given that the banks cost us thousands for every citizen that is entirely reasonable.

If only there was an oppotunity, maybe a once in lifetime chance to have the banks over a barrel begging for our help, we could have had them dancing to a different tune.

That's why I didn't vote labour. Utter failure to spot a chance and take it. Chance has gone.

JTories and Lib Dems tell the biggest lie constantly over and over again during the last five years, and in doing so they created the myth that Labour caused the world wide banking crash that led to one of the longest recessions ever seen in this country.

They did not. The Bank of England recognised this with the official indepth report on the financial sector crash of 2008 Which said "That no single party was to blame"

You conveniently omit to also mention that Blair and Brown ( who are IMHO both war criminals and traitors) got us into an illegal war under false pretences, after announcing to the world they were going to (presumably to force the price even lower than it was) sold off a huge chunk of our gold reserves as we did not need them, then because there was supposedly too much money in the pension pot raided that to fund labour's spending.

Labour also not only failed to even try to slow the flow of immigrants into the country and they also (presumably to get more labour voters) encouraged and even recruited foriegn workers to not just come and work here but to come and live here permanently.

Don't forget the rest of their mis-management which you also fail to mention whilst blair's wife (nothing to do with blair. of course) was feathering their nest by buying very expensive properties all over the place whilst the country and most of rest of us were getting into a the position we were in when labour (allegedly deliberately) got kicked out. It appears to be quite obvious to some of us that Blair himself saw the writing on the wall and bailed out before all the blame could be attributed to himself, leaving the oaf brown to run things down and carry the can for it.

Despite all you wrote UK voters have chosen to twice reject labour and it is not difficult to see why. Do you honestly think most of like the measures we have had to endure for the last 5 and presumably the next 5 too? Of course not but those of us with sense can see its the only way we'll get things turned around properly.

Labour know this too and I'm convinced that in 5 or 10 years time when the economy is straightened out they will make a proper effort to win a general election so they can start mis-spending get themselves back into the good books of the loony left and get us back into trouble again .... like they have always done.

But you continue to blame the rest of the world solomon ...if it eases your mind in some way.

Blair and Brown ( who are IMHO both war criminals and traitors) got us into an illegal war.

No. There is no 'crime' involved, and there was no 'war'- and the hostilities were not unlawful.

But I agree that the escapade proved wholly pointless and in fact can now be seen as making things only worse

No. There is no 'crime' involved, and there was no 'war'- and the hostilities were not unlawful.

But I agree that the escapade proved wholly pointless and in fact can now be seen as making things only worse

The lawfulness of the war (or not) is the subject of the Chilcott enquiry isn't it?

There's also the strange and convenient death of Dr. David Kelly to consider.

And the 'pointless' deaths of several thousands of people.

But we digress...

If only there was an oppotunity, maybe a once in lifetime chance to have the banks over a barrel begging for our help, we could have had them dancing to a different tune.

Yes, totally agree.

I guess the media and people the world over all calling it a war; all our armed forces sending people over there that were both killing and injuring people as the same was happening to them does not necessarily make it war unless of course the lawyers tell us it was one.

Now, who was it that said the law is an ass?

Worth a watch :nod:

---------- Post added 11-05-2015 at 16:19 ----------

"UK living standards fell for all but the richest under coalition"

---------- Post added 11-05-2015 at 16:20 ----------

"Only the rich did very well under this coalition, and the poor did very badly. And yet they still voted against their economic interest"

---------- Post added 11-05-2015 at 16:21 ----------

"Yes, the Tories are great at playing the fear card"

Edited by Solomon1

Worth a watch :nod:

---------- Post added 11-05-2015 at 16:19 ----------

"UK living standards fell for all but the richest under coalition"

---------- Post added 11-05-2015 at 16:20 ----------

"Only the rich did very well under this coalition, and the poor did very badly. And yet they still voted against their economic interest"

---------- Post added 11-05-2015 at 16:21 ----------

"Yes, the Tories are great at playing the fear card"

Why are absolving Nick clegg of any blame? He and his lib dem MPs could have bailed at any time. For every policy brought in by the Tories in the last 5 years it required the lib dems to carry it through.