The Plough-sandygate

Well even the Shiney up the road with a lot of money spent on it and in a better position appears to be only just about keeping its head above water (sorry for the pun) so would take a brave individual to put money in this.

Probably better to be a Supermarket or flats than left empty.

I think if I lived in the houses or cottages around it, I wouldn't want it to be a supermarket. It'd probably do well though.

It'll be a shame if it gets demolished, conversion to flats is probably only viable option for it.

Guest makapaka

The group behind the save the plough campaign have already prevented Sainsbury's planning application - convincing the planners that it is viable as a pub.

.....The point is that you just can't get the staff these days!,....but wait!

Look at the "Crown & Glove" at Stannington across the valley.Run into the ground for a number of years by chancers and dreamers,when behold! a new Landlord and partner arrive from down South somewhere and have now turned it into one of the best little pubs in the land,just ask the locals!

So it can be done with the right management.........but so hard to find!

Edited by mossdog

The group behind the save the plough campaign have already prevented Sainsbury's planning application - convincing the planners that it is viable as a pub.

I hope it is. I don't like to see the demise of the pub (even though I only go a couple of times a year now).

Look at the "Crown & Glove" at Stannington across the valley.Run into the ground for a number of years by chancers and dreamers,when behold! a new Landlord and partner arrive from down South somewhere and have now turned it into one of the best little pubs in the land,just ask the locals!

Perhaps the people like the ones that have seemed to a good job with the Horse Jockey Wadsley.

True.

Have no doubt if you got an amazing landlord and team in who made it a place people from around the city would want to visit it would work but what would make them take on a place like this sure they would have much better offers elsewhere.

Yes, I don't get this. Failed as a pub as the locals didn't use it enough. Now closed and falling into disrepair and vulnerable to vandalism. Sainsburys want to come and invest and improve the building and provide a service. Locals up in arms as they would be losing a community asset they didn't use in the first place.:loopy:

Unless that's too simplistic?

Yes, I don't get this. Failed as a pub as the locals didn't use it enough. Now closed and falling into disrepair and vulnerable to vandalism. Sainsburys want to come and invest and improve the building and provide a service. Locals up in arms as they would be losing a community asset they didn't use in the first place.:loopy:

Unless that's too simplistic?

Pub was badly run for a long time and aimed at the wrong market in relation to the local demographic

The area is desperately in need of a more upmarket real ale pub - like the Rising Sun or Ranmoor Inn but without the long walk back up the hill.

People in Crosspool are fiercely loyal to small independant traders, hence the mix of thriving small community shops in the centre. That's also part of the reason for the hostility towards a big multinational like Sainsburys

Pub was badly run for a long time and aimed at the wrong market in relation to the local demographic

The area is desperately in need of a more upmarket real ale pub - like the Rising Sun or Ranmoor Inn but without the long walk back up the hill.

People in Crosspool are fiercely loyal to small independant traders, hence the mix of thriving small community shops in the centre. That's also part of the reason for the hostility towards a big multinational like Sainsburys

Most suburbs of Sheffield do not have 2 excellent pubs like that for miles let alone on their doorstep!

Good post, totally agree about the need for an upmarket real ale pub. Shiny, sportsman and three merrys not a patch on the excellent rising sun.

Have you actually spoken to any of the locals who live at Sandygate? Lots of people who live in the area, a good proportion of who are elderly want a mini supermarket which they will use rather than a pub which they won't.

Edited by Zaphod

Have you actually spoken to any of the locals who live at Sandygate? Lots of people who live in the area, a good proportion of who are elderly want a mini supermarket which they will use rather than a pub which they won't.

No I haven't but have you misunderstood my post? I agree with you that now it can't be what many would have found useful in a local supermarket, it has to stay as a 'community resource' that nobody can run profitably or so it seemed.

The plough pub building isn't as old as it would seem, it's a re build as per the date above the door. I really hope it's a success as a pub again but in truth not many locals used it so it died. I really think the building would have been better converted into a Sainsbury's local, it would have been well used I am sure. That said the decision has been made and as a person

that has lived in the area for over 50 years and has seen the Plough refurbished quite a few times I hope it's successful again . Use it or lose it.