Jump to content

The Plough-sandygate

Recommended Posts

obviously not been viable as a pub for a while, but it is a shame it's being knocked down.

 

(unless rebuild has stone fronts - which I would doubt unless forced to)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not being knocked down.  Hopefully it won't get permission for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Bilge said:

It's not being knocked down.  Hopefully it won't get permission for that.

oh good stuff :)

 

I don't open Star links. They **** my computer up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/06/2019 at 21:45, makapaka said:

It wasn’t a bad pub though.

 

it wasn’t a rough hole or dirty or anything like that and no one went in - hardly encouraging for a prospective pub if the locals let it shut down.

It was the nearest pub to me and it was a nice pub but I stopped going in because they weren't looking after the beer and hadn't been for some time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes but you cant just leave it as an empty building which is slowly deteriorating for ever.Surely if it was viable to invest in it and turn it into a decent pub it would have been done by now.Something has to change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bilge said:

The Crosspool  Tavern isn't very good either but I hope one day it becomes a decent pub. I go in every now and then just to check if it's improved. It never has, but I don't want it turning into a block of flats or a care home.  I want it to stay as  a pub that might be some good one day. It does at least have the football on.

 

So should I (a) go in all the time? or (b) hardly ever go in?  How do we as consumers collectively affect the pub market? It's not in our control. We're at the mercy of pubcos and property developers. A busy pub will still turn into flats if the profit to be had dictates that.

 

 

I agree you’re at their mercy.

 

The thing is the Crosspool tavern won’t shut because it’s not really a pub - it’s a cheap restaurant with a bar.

 

 

Edited by makapaka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Fudbeer said:

Yes but you cant just leave it as an empty building which is slowly deteriorating for ever.Surely if it was viable to invest in it and turn it into a decent pub it would have been done by now.Something has to change.

It's been deteriorating because the current owner has deliberately been encouraging it - stripping out the fittings and smashing a window (which was amateurish, because it was so clearly done from the inside).

 

The pub was never any good because it was owned by Enterprise Inns - the worst of the PubCos.  With a decent brewery behind it, it could rival the Rising Sun.

 

And the plan is definitely to demolish it by the way.  This big eyesore is planned for its place:

64480147_2333242840055038_60367726856844

64358591_2333237653388890_17954607367811

Edited by Dan_Ashcroft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh dear, that is horrific. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it get's approved there's probably going to be locals lying in front of the JCBs.

 

I'm surprised they didn't just turn up in the dead of night like what happened to the King's Head, although wasn't that listed so would never have got approval for demolition.

Edited by Colin Foster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dan_Ashcroft said:

It's been deteriorating because the current owner has deliberately been encouraging it - stripping out the fittings and smashing a window (which was amateurish, because it was so clearly done from the inside).

 

The pub was never any good because it was owned by Enterprise Inns - the worst of the PubCos.  With a decent brewery behind it, it could rival the Rising Sun.

 

And the plan is definitely to demolish it by the way.  This big eyesore is planned for its place:

64480147_2333242840055038_60367726856844

64358591_2333237653388890_17954607367811

So whats the answer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fudbeer said:

So whats the answer?

For non-listed buildings, would a petition to the council wishing for the current building be integrated do anything? It's it the council who approve? (might have already been approved though)

4 hours ago, Bilge said:

Oh dear, that is horrific. 

Yes, I wouldn't be impressed if I lived on there. That block next to it is bad enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Fudbeer said:

So whats the answer?

The Council reject the application, make it very clear that it's listed status will be preserved long term, forcing Platts to give up and sell it to one of the multiple parties who wanted to buy it and re-open it as a pub when Enterprise sold it 2 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.