The Plough-sandygate

Next to no chance of it being a pub again imo. Nobody wanted to invest before but now with many existing pubs struggling to survive cant see anyone wanting to spend the huge investment needed here, the place is a mess.

11 hours ago, Fudbeer said:

Next to no chance of it being a pub again imo. Nobody wanted to invest before but now with many existing pubs struggling to survive cant see anyone wanting to spend the huge investment needed here, the place is a mess.

Yes, I think you're right.  It needs a hell of a lot of money spending on it and no guarantee at all the pub would survive. Would be interesting to see a cash flow projection.

The developer certainly won't be happy that permission for demolition  wasn't granted. Especially as there us a good chance house prices will drop substantially next year, reducing their profits...

Am surprised neighbours are happy having a mess like that on their doorstep would not be over the moon if it was me.Its hardly like it’s been a few months it’s been years now.

make it a food/family pub ,with a childrens area and a community room for various activitys in the area and then i think it would be okay,bet witherspoons would make it pay,not saying thats the answer though.

23 hours ago, Fudbeer said:

You mean apart from the community group who raised money to buy it?

12 minutes ago, Grappler said:

You mean apart from the community group who raised money to buy it?

I dont think they've raised the money to buy it have they? I assumed they'd raised money to maybe lease the pub or perhaps only do a feasibility study on bringing it back into use. They will also need a large sum of money to renovate it, I'd imagine at least £300k, probably more. 

Correct me if I'm wrong.

2 minutes ago, bungleboy69 said:

I dont think they've raised the money to buy it have they? I assumed they'd raised money to maybe lease the pub or perhaps only do a feasibility study on bringing it back into use. They will also need a large sum of money to renovate it, I'd imagine at least £300k, probably more. 

Correct me if I'm wrong.

As the old saying goes mate, never assume anything, in business.

They raised the money to buy it.  They put in a bid with Enterprise Inns.  They also paid to have a professional evaluator come in and tell them exactly what the building was worth, as a pub, in the current (at that time) market.  Local contractors and suppliers came in and met the community team, inside the pub, and priced up what needed doing (rewiring, plumbing, bringing the kitchen back into a usable state, etc.) this included bringing the upstairs function room back into service, as a room to rent out.

So they bid what they were advised to bid (to buy a pub, not housing development land)  and also knew what it would cost in refurbishment. 

On 05/08/2020 at 13:35, Fudbeer said:

Am surprised neighbours are happy having a mess like that on their doorstep would not be over the moon if it was me.Its hardly like it’s been a few months it’s been years now.

The neighbours are far from happy with the mess created in the last 3 years. It's only started deteriorating since the current owner bought it. He appears to have done zero maintenance, allows windows to stay open all year round and bits to accidentally fall off and he has builders' junk and vehicles strewn all over to make it look like a building site. The council served an enforcement order last month to make him tidy up the site and prevent its incremental change of use to a builders' yard. So far he's removed the portacabin and a couple of vehicles, but it's still a mess. 

Before that it was just a closed pub, it wasn't an eyesore. A couple of months ago all pubs were closed. Are we recommending a policy of allowing them all to fall down and be demolished? We need more housing so let's demolish 25% of all pubs and hey presto plenty of development land.

Had some fine nights in The Plough back in the mid-to-late 70s. Shame to read it's gone.

I very rarely get up to Crosspool these days, but when I do drive out onto the Snake it still looks weird to see the King's Head converted into....whatever they are. OAP accommodation?  The Bell Hagg was a marvellous place too. Great pubs and memories from a great time in my life.

It's going, the developer has got his way at last and won an appeal against last year's refusal by the council to grant permission to demolish it.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/politics/historic-sheffield-pub-where-modern-rules-of-football-were-first-drawn-up-set-for-demolition-following-appeal-3493139

The council have also apparently been ordered to pay him an undisclosed amount for all this legal wrangling has cost him. Not sure how I feel about that.

On 14/12/2021 at 00:18, Colin Foster said:

It's going, the developer has got his way at last and won an appeal against last year's refusal by the council to grant permission to demolish it.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/politics/historic-sheffield-pub-where-modern-rules-of-football-were-first-drawn-up-set-for-demolition-following-appeal-3493139

The council have also apparently been ordered to pay him an undisclosed amount for all this legal wrangling has cost him. Not sure how I feel about that.

My bold. 

Surely as this undisclosed amount will probably be funded out of yours & my council tax, the sum should be disclosed? 

Very sad and unnecessary. Could have kept the pub and built a few houses on the site too.

The planning system continues to fail to protect our heritage nationwide.