The Plough-sandygate

Sorry I know this will upset some but they might as well just convert it into something useful like flats got to be better than the eyesore it is today.Rightly or  wrongly can not see it ever being a pub again.Would have happened by now if it was going to when it would have cost less to restore it.

No. It's an eyesore because the owner has allowed it to get into that state. Presumably so that people like you can say we're not bothered about our heritage or local amenities or the views of the community so just build something, anything, on it instead.

If you read Nooks and Corners / Piloti in Private Eye it's what developers do all over the country and have done for decades.  Look at what we've lost in Sheffield alone.  Development is great in the right places. But sometimes we need to say no and keep the good buildings we have and put them to new uses or change the business model for what they do.

We, the people, can take back control of our heritage if we want. We make the rules not random builders.

Edited by Bilge

Guest makapaka
10 hours ago, Bilge said:

No. It's an eyesore because the owner has allowed it to get into that state. Presumably so that people like you can say we're not bothered about our heritage or local amenities or the views of the community so just build something, anything, on it instead.

If you read Nooks and Corners / Piloti in Private Eye it's what developers do all over the country and have done for decades.  Look at what we've lost in Sheffield alone.  Development is great in the right places. But sometimes we need to say no and keep the good buildings we have and put them to new uses or change the business model for what they do.

We, the people, can take back control of our heritage if we want. We make the rules not random builders.

I agree with a lot of what you say there.

thing is - no one went in the plough.

The York in Broomhill was garbage and often not busy despite its location before it was done up.  Rising Sun at Nether Green ditto. Both are a success now. Loads more examples.

Guest makapaka

Neither were anything like the plough.

the people up there generally don’t support the pubs.

the shiny has as struggled for years now.

the sportsman and Crosspool tavern know they can’t sustain the wet trade so are just Sunday dinner places.

I’d love it to reopen as a pub don’t get me wrong.

12 hours ago, makapaka said:

Neither were anything like the plough.

the people up there generally don’t support the pubs.

the shiny has as struggled for years now.

the sportsman and Crosspool tavern know they can’t sustain the wet trade so are just Sunday dinner places.

I’d love it to reopen as a pub don’t get me wrong.

Agree with all of that.

The Sportsman actually does surprisingly well on weekday lunchtimes, we go regularly on a Tuesday but its nearly all food trade infact many particularly older customers dont even buy a drink with their meal and drink tap water.

Clearly the food side would need to be a key thing, allied to quality ales. Something like the Rising Sun maybe.  There isn't a decent pub to walk to locally. Sportsman is the best of a bad bunch. Tavern is poor, so is Shiny Sheff.  Crookes/Broomhill/Ranmoor/Nether Green are a bit of a hike away for most people. I can't believe there is not a market for a decent pub in Crosspool. The Plough was always a bit rubbish before (like the Punch Bowl, York, Rising Sun, Highcliffe etc etc were) but it needn't be in future given a bit of investment and imagination.

Pubs are often deliberately run down to maximise profit for the building's owners by development of the site. It's nowt to do with whether the pub performs well or not, or might do in the future if run differently. It's simply about amount of profit from the site as a building plot, usually for residential use, versus profit as a pub. It may be a good business as a pub but can still get demolished if it makes more as flats.

On that basis  should we demolish all old pubs or is there a line to be drawn somewhere?

Guest makapaka
3 hours ago, Bilge said:

Clearly the food side would need to be a key thing, allied to quality ales. Something like the Rising Sun maybe.  There isn't a decent pub to walk to locally. Sportsman is the best of a bad bunch. Tavern is poor, so is Shiny Sheff.  Crookes/Broomhill/Ranmoor/Nether Green are a bit of a hike away for most people. I can't believe there is not a market for a decent pub in Crosspool. The Plough was always a bit rubbish before (like the Punch Bowl, York, Rising Sun, Highcliffe etc etc were) but it needn't be in future given a bit of investment and imagination.

Pubs are often deliberately run down to maximise profit for the building's owners by development of the site. It's nowt to do with whether the pub performs well or not, or might do in the future if run differently. It's simply about amount of profit from the site as a building plot, usually for residential use, versus profit as a pub. It may be a good business as a pub but can still get demolished if it makes more as flats.

On that basis  should we demolish all old pubs or is there a line to be drawn somewhere?

No we shouldn’t demolish all old pubs - and I hope this one doesn’t get demolished.

You just mentioned the shiny there tho - do you go in there?

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

No we shouldn’t demolish all old pubs - and I hope this one doesn’t get demolished.

You just mentioned the shiny there tho - do you go in there?

No, mainly because it's not very good but also it's not local for me. If it was any good then I would make an effort to visit more often. If I lived near it then I would go in despite it not being much cop. I sometimes go in the Sportsman and the Crosspool Tavern simply because they are near, even though I'm not a big fan of either.

Ideally I'd have several decent pubs to choose from that I could walk to in 5 minutes! I've seldom lived anywhere like that though. 

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Bilge said:

No, mainly because it's not very good but also it's not local for me. If it was any good then I would make an effort to visit more often. If I lived near it then I would go in despite it not being much cop. I sometimes go in the Sportsman and the Crosspool Tavern simply because they are near, even though I'm not a big fan of either.

Ideally I'd have several decent pubs to choose from that I could walk to in 5 minutes! I've seldom lived anywhere like that though. 

Fair enough.

im the same as you - there are pubs local to me that I’m not a massive fan of - but I go in them now and again just because I’d rather they were there than not there.