The Plough-sandygate

Saw some bags of what looked like sand or aggregate being unloaded yesterday when driving past.

The problem is Spacepad paid well over market value for it, because they were banking on building 20 flats on the site. They aren't just going to "pull out" of it and accept the price it's actually worth as a pub.

The problem is Spacepad paid well over market value for it, because they were banking on building 20 flats on the site. They aren't just going to "pull out" of it and accept the price it's actually worth as a pub.

Yes they paid over the odds, and I am not sure what they do now. They have not, as far as I am aware, submitted any planning proposals, and as the planning department and the council have twice agreed that the Plough is an asset of community value (ACV) I think t'owd Spacepad Mark has a bit of a problem.

I assume he was smart enough to agree a deal with Enterprise Inns "subject to planning approval"?

Edited by Grappler

Yes they paid over the odds, and I am not sure what they do now. They have not, as far as I am aware, submitted any planning proposals, and as the planning department and the council have twice agreed that the Plough is an asset of community value (ACV) I think t'owd Spacepad Mark has a bit of a problem.

I assume he was smart enough to agree a deal with Enterprise Inns "subject to planning approval"?

Burning down the place and blaming it on 'local vandals' is property developers' usual next step

Something going on, spacepad van there yesterday, skip being filled also.

Does it already have a flat above it (for the manager etc)? Maybe he's renovating that for rental.

Or he could be gutting the downstairs so that it looks less like a pub. Or both.

Does it already have a flat above it (for the manager etc)? Maybe he's renovating that for rental.

Or he could be gutting the downstairs so that it looks less like a pub. Or both.

Yes living quarters above, enough for a family easily.

Is there any chance it will end up to be something useful, like a Sainsburies maybe?

Is there any chance it will end up to be something useful, like a Sainsburies maybe?

No mate, Sainsbury's (note the spelling), were denied their chance with the planning department recommending that The Plough stay as a pub, putting their recommendations to the council, and the council (all councillors in attendance), 100% agreeing with the planning department. I think this was reported in the Star, with Sainsburies saying that they would not contest this further.

No mate, Sainsbury's (note the spelling), were denied their chance with the planning department recommending that The Plough stay as a pub, putting their recommendations to the council, and the council (all councillors in attendance), 100% agreeing with the planning department. I think this was reported in the Star, with Sainsburies saying that they would not contest this further.

So, Grappler. Which spelling should we note?

Star article:

"A famous footballing pub in Sheffield has been listed for rent - less than a year after campaigners failed in their attempt to buy it for the community.

The pub closed in 2016 and the vacant building was last year sold by Ei Group to Spacepad UK, which outbid the Save the Plough campaign group's £435,000 offer made in conjunction with a mystery backer after raising thousands of pounds by selling community shares.

It has now been listed to let by the estate agency Crosthwaite Commercial, with offers in the region of £50,000 being invited.

The sales brochure describes the building as being 'prominently located opposite Hallam FC', and states that until its closure it had been a 'popular public house serving the local population'. However, it describes how the property has 'suffered some vandalism' since being closed, and says the tenant will be required to refurbish the premises.

Peter Duff, chairman of the campaign group, claimed the asking price was 'unrealistic' and he feared it was an attempt to prove the building was no longer commercially viable as a pub - potentially paving the way for it to converted into flats or demolished.

The building was earlier this year re-listed as an asset of community value, which provides additional protection against it being knocked down or turned into housing, and means community groups are given six months in which to put together a bid should it go up for sale, but does not guarantee its future as a pub. Mr Duff said: "We're at a bit of an impasse because the owner won't speak to the community and has now put it up for rent at a completely unrealistic asking price."

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/famous-footballing-pub-in-sheffield-goes-up-for-rent-to-frustration-of-campaigners-fighting-to-save-piece-of-city-s-history-1-9294470

I had a quick look around the outside recently and I cant see any obvious signs of vandalism, unless someone has broken in and trashed the interior? Might be worth a look over though, but can't see it listed on Crosthwaite commercial site at present