The Plough-sandygate

Can you confirm that the Plough, Sandygate is still open. I am planning a trip to Sheffield to get back to my roots (family history) and the Plough is part of that history with Sam Lovell one of the landlords being my g.g.grandfather. Didn't the plough also give a start to Hallam FC by allowing the matches on the pubs field.

Hi,

The Plough is still open.......but things could always change.

Hi,

The Plough is still open.......but things could always change.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

---------- Post added 24-08-2015 at 15:48 ----------

Quote=Oldtrout

Looks like we are related through the same grandparents. Tried to message you privately but couldn't, I think you have to have at least 5 open messages before you can send private ones. As I only joined a couple of days ago, I need to get one or more sent.

I've been told this evening that the Plough has closed down.

Please does anyone have any information ...... Is this temporary for refurbishment or ...?

If permanent closure, does anyone know what future use, if any, is planned for the building?

Thanks.

There is a rumour I've heard that the owners of the York in Broomhill might be taking over. Let's hope it's going to be the Crosspool equivalent of the Rising Sun in Fulwood, great beer at a cheap price, good food, good variety of entertainment ... it's a lovely pub in a lovely area with lovely people ...... why couldn't it be !

Over 45 years since I went in The Plough. Two memories....a snooker table and Hallam FC using upstairs as a changing room. Can remember the players coming down the stone steps with leather studs on their boots.

Just hope this pub stays alive.

There is a rumour I've heard that the owners of the York in Broomhill might be taking over. Let's hope it's going to be the Crosspool equivalent of the Rising Sun in Fulwood, great beer at a cheap price, good food, good variety of entertainment ... it's a lovely pub in a lovely area with lovely people ...... why couldn't it be !

I hope that's true, there should be a decent pub in that area and this should be it. I call in for a half every couple of years (yes I'm a valued customer) just to see if it's still open or has even magically become a good pub. There must be loads more like me who would go more often if it was worthwhile bothering.

Guest makapaka
I hope that's true, there should be a decent pub in that area and this should be it. I call in for a half every couple of years (yes I'm a valued customer) just to see if it's still open or has even magically become a good pub. There must be loads more like me who would go more often if it was worthwhile bothering.

If everyone went more often it would be worthwhile bothering.

you didn't use it and as a consequence you will lose it.

The problem with a pub like this is its not established its not currently on anyones list pf places to visit regularly (because its shut,obviously)

So you are starting from a very low point,to get people in needs a lot of work,first you have to get them to try it,like it ,then you have to maintain high standards to keep them.

To get them to come in the first place means a lot of investment putting an under new management banner over the door will not cut it,how many times have we seen that with this pub.

You have the shiny down the road which recently had major investment and now the excellent Rising sun which I have to say they have done a great job refitting and was packed the other afternoon to compete with.

If it was my money I would not take the risk on a place that has failed so many times.

If everyone went more often it would be worthwhile bothering.

you didn't use it and as a consequence you will lose it.

Unfortunately the pub market is not as simple as that. Busy and successful pubs are closing all over the country because they are worth more to their owners as flats/supermarkets etc. No doubt this plot would be worth a lot of money to a developer. Maybe that's why it's stalled or is being run down as a pub.

Guest makapaka
Unfortunately the pub market is not as simple as that. Busy and successful pubs are closing all over the country because they are worth more to their owners as flats/supermarkets etc. No doubt this plot would be worth a lot of money to a developer. Maybe that's why it's stalled or is being run down as a pub.

I can't think of many busy and successful pubs in Sheffield that have closed to be honest.

Mostly it seems to be suburban pubs which people don't go in.

The problem with a pub like this is its not established its not currently on anyones list pf places to visit regularly (because its shut,obviously)

So you are starting from a very low point,to get people in needs a lot of work,first you have to get them to try it,like it ,then you have to maintain high standards to keep them.

To get them to come in the first place means a lot of investment putting an under new management banner over the door will not cut it,how many times have we seen that with this pub.

You have the shiny down the road which recently had major investment and now the excellent Rising sun which I have to say they have done a great job refitting and was packed the other afternoon to compete with.

If it was my money I would not take the risk on a place that has failed so many times.

And the Shiny Sheff, even with major investment, is still not doing well as it still can't get in enough people to make it a realistic ongoing business.

Shame, as the pub is nice to go in, the staff are friendly, and the beers aren't too overpriced.

And the Shiny Sheff, even with major investment, is still not doing well as it still can't get in enough people to make it a realistic ongoing business.

Shame, as the pub is nice to go in, the staff are friendly, and the beers aren't too overpriced.

Agree with above, had one meal and it was very poor, sub wetherspoons but more expensive. Beer was great when refurb was first done and quite a bargain. Price gone up significantly since refurb. Problem with sheff is that back in the 80s perhaps it was a destination pub where people would drive out from across Sheffield for a meal and a night out. It doesn't have that pull anymore and has virtually no character.

It will never compete with the excellent Rising Sun and will always be a pub in a car park on a housing estate sadly with limited pull for locals.