The Plough-sandygate

apparently this may become a convenience store....anybody heard anything? Conversion or flatten and build?

apparently this may become a convenience store....anybody heard anything? Conversion or flatten and build?

If this is true, a conversion would be most likely. It's got a decent size car-park and the inside is big too.

A rebuild would surely have thousands of objections (not to mention being unnecessary). A conversion will only have 10s or perhaps hundreds.

A convenience store is marginally better than the building becoming a derelict eyesore, but the road is extremely narrow and, in my opinion, not suitable to cope with any increase in traffic.

The pub's been dead since I lived up near there 15 odd years ago, always been an empty place for some reason. Never really understood it cos it's opposite Hallam FC, which must attract a hundred people or so a week to watch the football, as well as the church which must have a bunch of people who want food etc, and as well as all the people in nice houses nearby. I would have thought it would be a gold mine as a pub which did food.

Never went there much myself, mind. Even as a lad it always seemed a bit shabby. I also suppose that the food wasn't that good!

It's probably better off being a Tesco or something, at least local people will get to use it for something. I guess it's either that or some more flats.

Edited by lesserthan1

Sainsburys are buying it, to turn it into a convenience store. The locals have set up a facebook site, change.org petition etc. Too many pubs closing as it is, and with shops in crosspool and Lodge Moor nearby, and the petrol station set to become a convenience store, a Sainsburys is not needed.

The pub's been dead since I lived up near there 15 odd years ago, always been an empty place for some reason. Never really understood it cos it's opposite Hallam FC, which must attract a hundred people or so a week to watch the football, as well as the church which must have a bunch of people who want food etc, and as well as all the people in nice houses nearby. I would have thought it would be a gold mine as a pub which did food.

Never went there much myself, mind. Even as a lad it always seemed a bit shabby. I also suppose that the food wasn't that good!

It's probably better off being a Tesco or something, at least local people will get to use it for something. I guess it's either that or some more flats.

I went to watch Hallam FC a few weeks ago. There's very limited parking around there and I was tempted to park in the Plough car park and pop in for a drink before the game. There's a big sign up at the Hallam ground warning not to do this. So I didn't.

Meanwhile, there were just 2 cars parked in the pub car park all afternoon.

If I were the owners of that pub I wouldn't be too worried about the handful of spectators of Hallam FC taking up car parking spaces. We'd have probably spent £20 in there pre-match - and that's just one car load.

But the bigger issue is why the pub is failing. And without crossing the threshold I could guess that it doesn't offer quality in terms of food, drink, atmosphere or service?

I went to watch Hallam FC a few weeks ago. There's very limited parking around there and I was tempted to park in the Plough car park and pop in for a drink before the game. There's a big sign up at the Hallam ground warning not to do this. So I didn't.

Meanwhile, there were just 2 cars parked in the pub car park all afternoon.

If I were the owners of that pub I wouldn't be too worried about the handful of spectators of Hallam FC taking up car parking spaces. We'd have probably spent £20 in there pre-match - and that's just one car load.

But the bigger issue is why the pub is failing. And without crossing the threshold I could guess that it doesn't offer quality in terms of food, drink, atmosphere or service?

There isn't high-density population around there, AND it's quite a rich area so fewer [regular/locals] pub drinkers too, and it's a huge building to pay for. To be honest, I'm surprised it is still open. I don't know what the food is like, but even if it was good, it's still unlikely to bring enough in.

These days it's not in a good location as a [local] pub (or even real-ale pub).

However, I think it is possibly a prime location for an upmarket type restaurant, but if true it will undoubtedly succeed as a small supermarket.

The choice now is Spar with limited street parking, so with a car-park it will easily pull their 'drivers' customers.

There isn't high-density population around there, AND it's quite a rich area so fewer [regular/locals] pub drinkers too, and it's a huge building to pay for. To be honest, I'm surprised it is still open. I don't know what the food is like, but even if it was good, it's still unlikely to bring enough in.

These days it's not in a good location as a [local] pub (or even real-ale pub).

However, I think it is possibly a prime location for an upmarket type restaurant, but if true it will undoubtedly succeed as a small supermarket.

The choice now is Spar with limited street parking, so with a car-park it will easily pull their 'drivers' customers.

good points mate and I agree with most, but "upmarket restaurant" in Sheffield? They aren't so popular are they? It's a good area for such a venture but it would be more of a gamble than a Premier Inn grocery store I suspect.

good points mate and I agree with most, but "upmarket restaurant" in Sheffield?

I don't mean the type of [pretend/corp] ones you get on Ecclesall Road, that wouldn't work there, I was meaning more exclusive / independents. In fact like the one on the corner of Benty Lane (though I think that sold/went bust, probably due to location and not as nice looking place), like something along the lines of Fischers, or Rowleys type place.

If was on the main road, something like Toby Carvery type thing would work, but it's essentially a side road, and they would have already looked into this anyway.

They aren't so popular are they? It's a good area for such a venture but it would be more of a gamble than a Premier Inn grocery store I suspect.

Oh definitely, and more to the point, they have the power to put more money in to buying it. I would prefer it to be an independent, but like you say, a gamble and probably not worth risking the money that a large corp can easily afford.

If it can't work in its current status, then supermarket or flats depending on who thinks they can make the most out of it.

The main problem is that it is an Enterprise pub, who lease it to a pubco, who then put managers in, three sets of people all taking a slice of the pie and at least one too many.

A couple of years ago, Thornbridge Brewery appraoched Enterprise with a view to buying it, they sent in surveyors and structural engineers to see what it would take to open up the function room upstairs, they sent in their interiror designers to work out the refurb cost, then went back to Enterprise with a 250, 000 pounds initial spend and all the plans.

Enterprise, being Enterprise, and knowing Thornbridge really wanted the Plough, said "ah, things have changed slightly, we are doing a two-pub deal now, you need to buy this and the Hallamshire House at Commonside". So Thornbridge sent the team in, looked at the pub, saw potential, so came back with a business plan. The agreement came through quickly for the Hallamshire House, got signed up, then Enterprise, being Enterprise, said "ah, things have changed again, the price for the Plough has gone up", so Thornbridge walked away.

The lad who has the Fox and Duck at Broomhill really wanted it, he went in with his builder/designer, put together a business plan which included something like 100,000 of his own money for decorating and refurb, Enterprise, being Enterprise, messed him about, and eventually he walked away and bought The West End (now the Doctors Orders).

A few months ago, three young men (managers at other pubs), got together and came up with a plan to refurb the pub, extend the eating part of it and make it more of a eating place that served real ale, make the bar smaller, increase seating, etc. Enterprise, being Enterprise....well you know how this goes, messed them around until they decided to go and do something else.

Like Grapps says the pubco have run it into the ground. Really the local MP needs to be looking into it, its still a very viable pub, just not a viable "pubco pub" because they are all #@#$.

Honestly pubco's are the biggest bunch of incompetent crooks going. They are destroying our heritage and we are letting them.

Edited by Jonny5

Sainsburys are buying it, to turn it into a convenience store. The locals have set up a facebook site, change.org petition etc. Too many pubs closing as it is, and with shops in crosspool and Lodge Moor nearby, and the petrol station set to become a convenience store, a Sainsburys is not needed.

Bet if it was a Waitrose convenience store or an M&S Simply Food, you would be falling over yourself to send in a letter of support, as would most of the local population. Snobs :hihi::hihi::hihi: