Genealogy type question

I'm interested in finding out about the life of a now deceased family member. He was a second cousin who was born in the 30's and died in 2000. I know about his early life until 1939 but after that apart from a couple of details I've been able to check it's all very obscure.

I'd particularly like to know how he earned a living for starters. He settled in London after the second world war and was rumoured to have worked in the theatre but as what I don't know, could have been selling ice creams but I doubt it.

I've no idea where to start on the employment thing at all so if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears. And eyes.

I'm interested in finding out about the life of a now deceased family member. He was a second cousin who was born in the 30's and died in 2000. I know about his early life until 1939 but after that apart from a couple of details I've been able to check it's all very obscure.

I'd particularly like to know how he earned a living for starters. He settled in London after the second world war and was rumoured to have worked in the theatre but as what I don't know, could have been selling ice creams but I doubt it.

I've no idea where to start on the employment thing at all so if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears. And eyes.

Try posting your query on the Sheffield Indexers or Sheffield Records on Line or Sheffield and District Family History sites.

I am sure contributors on these sites will be able to help you.

Presumably you have googled his name maybe along with london & theatre? Its amazing what can pop up!

Try posting your query on the Sheffield Indexers or Sheffield Records on Line or Sheffield and District Family History sites.

I am sure contributors on these sites will be able to help you.

Presumably you have googled his name maybe along with london & theatre? Its amazing what can pop up!

I've used the Sheffield Records and District Family History sites and they've been useful but it's the time after he left Sheffield for good that is problematic. He spent some time in the Royal Navy which is documented and I know he lived at the same address in London from the early 60's until his death in 2000. He worked his way travelling around the world in the late 50's. At one point he stumbled upon the filming of "Bridge on the River Kwai" in Sri Lanka and ended up as stunt man/ stand in for actor William Holden which led to an invite to Hollywood where he spent a couple of years, but that is all the verifiable information I have. He had regular but not frequent communication and meetings with my dad who's no longer around to ask. I've googled his name but it draws a complete blank which I find odd. He did live quite near MI5 maybe that's a clue!

Try Sheffield Indexers if you haven't already done so.

There are contributors on the site, as on the others, who are aware of different avenues to follow.

Sometimes it is just a case of the appropriate person reading your post.

They will help with subjects away from Sheffield.

According to

William Holden: A Biography By Michelangelo Capua page 104 Bill Holden in an interview about the film says "I love taking risks, so I refused a stunt man."

According to

William Holden: A Biography By Michelangelo Capua page 104 Bill Holden in an interview about the film says "I love taking risks, so I refused a stunt man."

That's showbiz I guess. The photographs show otherwise;)

---------- Post added 04-05-2015 at 14:11 ----------

Try Sheffield Indexers if you haven't already done so.

There are contributors on the site, as on the others, who are aware of different avenues to follow.

Sometimes it is just a case of the appropriate person reading your post.

They will help with subjects away from Sheffield.

Thanks, I'll try.