Next door is now a large HMO with no consultation!

Today I noticed at least 6, maybe 8, men moving into the house next door.

Their move was assisted as there were several men in suits with ID cards around their neck supervising.

Quick call to the council and discovered the landlord of the house has applied for a large HMO license, we can't object to it and the said land lord could rent his house to whoever he wanted. Very fobbed-off response from the Sheffield City Council I thought.

We are a couple with a young family, our back gardens are very exposed to the neighbours and to be honest I feel quite unnerved about having 6-8 unrelated men, with unknown backgrounds living next door.

Large HMOs typically have a high turnover rate of tenants and so we're not going to know who is living there from one moment to the next.

Interested to know what other people think, how they would feel in our position. Are we being unreasonable? It wouldn't be as big an issue if it was just us but when kids are involved we don't want to be living next door to some kind of hostel.

And then there is the parking issue - none of the houses on the street have off road parking including next door. Parking is already scarce.

just keep complaining about noise to the council and any and all dodgy behaviour/drugs/ aggressiveness make sure you record it or make a note of it and make sure you call the police out for incident numbers and keep complaining. ufortunately short of moving home that's all you can do for now, enough comlaints and disruption to the council and police and it will get sorted eventually.

just keep complaining about noise to the council and any and all dodgy behaviour/drugs/ aggressiveness make sure you record it or make a note of it and make sure you call the police out for incident numbers and keep complaining. ufortunately short of moving home that's all you can do for now, enough comlaints and disruption to the council and police and it will get sorted eventually.

What do you think is going to get sorted? If the council have granted the HMO licence then it's unlikely that this will be removed at anytime in the future.

Unfortunately for the OP, there's no consultation with neighbours required. It's not like applying for planning permission for example where notices etc have to be displayed. The licence for the HMO will be for 5 years.

I doubt that people living in a HMO. would have enough income to add to any parking problem. Wait and see what happens, they may all be quiet as mice. If there are problems try to sort them out civily if they persist then complain. You could always errect a fence to increase your privicy.

What do you think is going to get sorted? If the council have granted the HMO licence then it's unlikely that this will be removed at anytime in the future.

Unfortunately for the OP, there's no consultation with neighbours required. It's not like applying for planning permission for example where notices etc have to be displayed. The licence for the HMO will be for 5 years.

well I suppose we could just roll over and walk away tutting ;)

council this and council that.........

The license hasn't been granted, the application has just been made. However, the Council's initial response, when I asked how objections should be made, was you can't object. And it's OK to move them in before the application has been granted. She also said as the tenants have already moved in there would now be contractual obligations to consider - here's an idea, consult with the local community FIRST and don't let anyone move in until a final decision has been made!

---------- Post added 30-04-2015 at 22:32 ----------

Oh Margarita, I really do want to have an optimistic attitude but I sincerely doubt that they are all going to be quiet as mice. I would love to be proven wrong.

Point I'm annoyed about though is the lack of consultation. These occupants might be OK, what about the next ones in a few months time? It's not right that private landlords are able to buy up family sized houses, squeeze in more bedrooms and rent them out as multiple occupancy. This activity obviously isn't solely responsible for the decline of community but it does contribute to it. I think the Council are wrong to be so dismissive.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/planning-and-city-development/planning-documents/hmos.html

Planning permission is normally required in any part of the city for HMOs shared by 7 or more persons or conversions to any sized HMO from any other use class.

In some areas, permission is required for HMOs shared by fewer than 7 people.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/planning-and-city-development/planning-documents/hmos.html

In some areas, permission is required for HMOs shared by fewer than 7 people.

Oh this is interesting, thank you. I've searched planning application history using our postcode and nothing is recorded for the property next door. It has always been a normal dwellinghouse and so planning permission may be required to convert it to a HMO. Will have a reread of the link in the morning when i am a little more awake. Thank you.

Today I noticed at least 6, maybe 8, men moving into the house next door.

Their move was assisted as there were several men in suits with ID cards around their neck supervising.

Quick call to the council and discovered the landlord of the house has applied for a large HMO license, we can't object to it and the said land lord could rent his house to whoever he wanted. Very fobbed-off response from the Sheffield City Council I thought.

We are a couple with a young family, our back gardens are very exposed to the neighbours and to be honest I feel quite unnerved about having 6-8 unrelated men, with unknown backgrounds living next door.

Large HMOs typically have a high turnover rate of tenants and so we're not going to know who is living there from one moment to the next.

Interested to know what other people think, how they would feel in our position. Are we being unreasonable? It wouldn't be as big an issue if it was just us but when kids are involved we don't want to be living next door to some kind of hostel.

And then there is the parking issue - none of the houses on the street have off road parking including next door. Parking is already scarce.

Snow Joke, an HMO is just somewhere with multiple tenants. There is no reason to think they will be any more or less 'trouble' than any other tenant...You could easily have a lovely family move in next door who spend all day sat outside in their garden drinking, smoking and screeching at their 5 year old to 'shut the <REMOVED> up'...

Edited by nikki-red
masked swearing

Snow Joke, an HMO is just somewhere with multiple tenants. There is no reason to think they will be any more or less 'trouble' than any other tenant...You could easily have a lovely family move in next door who spend all day sat outside in their garden drinking, smoking and screeching at their 5 year old to 'shut the <REMOVED> up'...

Agreed. Parents don't realise how much noise kids can make especially on wooden floors when they're stomping about, or when they scream because they don't get their own way. I don't mind this as they'll grow out of it, what does get me is the parents shouting at them either late at night or early in the morning. They need to set a good example.

Edited by nikki-red
masked swearing

Yes it could be workers who are having "digs" there so are working hard all day and its a place to stay. Which is good.

Edited by nikki-red
masked swearing

Hi

I hope this helps.

extract -Any relevant person may appeal to a residential property tribunal against a decision of the local housing authority to serve an HMO declaration.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2004/34/section/255

---------- Post added 01-05-2015 at 10:51 ----------

Yes it could be workers who are having "digs" there so are working hard all day and its a place to stay. Which is good.

or it could be a load of criminals just let out.

'come on'

it could be anybody :confused: