A quick tip for lazy cooks

ust a quick one on separating egg whites crack egg onto saucer, put egg-cup over yolk hold firmly and tip sideways into bowl

I'm afraid I don't use a saucer or egg cup- I just crack the egg into two halves and either use the two halves to separate the egg or crack it into my fingers and keep hold of the yolk while letting the white dribble into the bowl.

I don't hold with any bit of kit for separating them to be honest. They're just an extra thing to wash up at the end of your cooking.

I'm afraid I don't use a saucer or egg cup- I just crack the egg into two halves and either use the two halves to separate the egg or crack it into my fingers and keep hold of the yolk while letting the white dribble into the bowl.

That's the chefs way and I used it for many years, this is just simpler and less messy. You can pick up an old saucer and egg cup in any junk shop for a few pence

---------- Post added 30-04-2015 at 16:48 ----------

I don't hold with any bit of kit for separating them to be honest. They're just an extra thing to wash up at the end of your cooking.

well I did say it was easy, and surely it not a 24hr task to rinse a saucer and egg cup but if it is, don't use my tip, someone else may find it useful though, like a new cook or another lazy one like me

I agree with Medusa, far quicker, less clutter/dishes in the sink.

Another vote for the two halves of the egg shell. Much easier, and less faff. Doubt if I would try the saucer method, Mrs Smithy266 might complain about extra washing up.

Another eggy tip...

When boiling an egg, stick a pin in the bottom, just far enough to make a tiny hole in the shell. Stops it from cracking in the hot water.

Seeing as we're doing egg tips - if you're frying eggs and you want to get the yolk in the centre rather than at one side then shake the egg before you crack it, not too hard otherwise you'll break the yolk, just enough so you can feel it start to move around

sorry none of you liked my tip. I have chronic arthritis in my hands so find this method easier,