Bike chained-up for months. Free it now!

Marx

At the bottom of Truswell Road S10 where it meets Cross Lane. It appeared during the last lot of heavy snow and has been there since, chained to the lamp-post at the bottom of of the road. It is covered by foliage and is probably still ok to ride with a bit of air putting in the tyres. Someone must know who it belongs to. Did they never make it home in the blizzard?

My brother went to Japan last year and he took a picture of a bike that had been chained to tree. It had been there that long that the bike had started to sink into the tree.

I will try and get hold of the picture.

Edited by jon&emma

like the suffragettes who chained themselves to railings for an equal right to vote, this bike has chained itself to a lamppost for an equal right to the roads. It's just been there that long cos no one is listening.

I might have a look at it next time I'm on cross lane

Only in Shefield.

I heard recently of a chap in London who chained his bike to a lamp post for only 5 minutes - when he came back to it the wheels AND the handbars had been half inched !:o

Edited by Daven

Had a look at it last night. I can understand why the rider never came back. Less worth than the taxi fare needed to get there.

It's one of those dual suspension pink jobbies with a name like "Misty" or sommat. The sort of bike bought at a motorist discount store.

Had a look at it last night. I can understand why the rider never came back. Less worth than the taxi fare needed to get there.

It's one of those dual suspension pink jobbies with a name like "Misty" or sommat. The sort of bike bought at a motorist discount store.

A "BSO" then :)

An 'Olympus"? Perhaps it's a street art installation.

Maybe like all those abandoned bikes every summer on the University campus it was left by a student (most likely an overseas student) who either finishes and graduates or has completed a course unit at Sheffield and then returned to their own university/home country. No student who has to limit their luggage on the plane home will want to take a bike which probably cost hardly anything originally. I know that on the campus abandoned bikes are regularly collected and given to Recycle or some other similar bike recycling project.

Then there were the yellow 'LeTour' bikes from the Tour de France last year; some of those were still locked up around town; I noticed one near the Lyceum right up until around Christmas...

Maybe like all those abandoned bikes every summer on the University campus it was left by a student (most likely an overseas student) who either finishes and graduates or has completed a course unit at Sheffield and then returned to their own university/home country. No student who has to limit their luggage on the plane home will want to take a bike which probably cost hardly anything originally. I know that on the campus abandoned bikes are regularly collected and given to Recycle or some other similar bike recycling project.

Then there were the yellow 'LeTour' bikes from the Tour de France last year; some of those were still locked up around town; I noticed one near the Lyceum right up until around Christmas...

Some of the yellow bikes are still on display in people's gardens at Worrall, nearly a year later, not sure how long they plan on keeping them.