Any preferences in playoffs?

as a blade i dont care who we get in play offd because it would have to be a miracle to win any of them after the performances ive seen. yes we have had some good performances but we have had some total shockers. i do hope we go up and have some blinding games but in honesty i cant see us getting to play off final

In terms of confidence it might be best for us if Preston slipped up and MK Dons went up in second place.

They are struggling a bit at the moment and would be gutted to lose out on the last day.

MK on the other hand are scoring for fun and would probably not be as demoralized if they don't make it.

Also Preston have an arguably even worse record than us in playoffs.

We hold the record for most playoff final losses with four, but they hold the record for most playoff losses overall with nine.

Can you imagine a playoff final between us two?

It'd be like the Russian Roulette scene in 'The Deer Hunter' with Christopher Walken! :o:(:D

In terms of confidence it might be best for us if Preston slipped up and MK Dons went up in second place.

They are struggling a bit at the moment and would be gutted to lose out on the last day.

MK on the other hand are scoring for fun and would probably not be as demoralized if they don't make it.

Also Preston have an arguably even worse record than us in playoffs.

We hold the record for most playoff final losses with four, but they hold the record for most playoff losses overall with nine.

Can you imagine a playoff final between us two?

It'd be like the Russian Roulette scene in 'The Deer Hunter' with Christopher Walken! :o:(:D

Preston are struggling. I think they threw away a lead in each of their three recent drawn matches. W13 D6 L0 since the start of February but the Colchester match will be a test of nerves and they have to win it.

The OP might think they're certs and it is in their own hands but MKD have a great chance in my opinion.

mk and utd in final if thats possible,i can't wait

Preston are struggling. I think they threw away a lead in each of their three recent drawn matches. W13 D6 L0 since the start of February but the Colchester match will be a test of nerves and they have to win it.

The OP might think they're certs and it is in their own hands but MKD have a great chance in my opinion.

Preston could very well blow it, away at Colchester who could survive with a win it isn't going to be easy.

Personally I have no great confidence in us doing it, but as Jimmy Greaves once memorably said " It's a funny old game ".

Back in 2003 in the Championship we had a great season, most games we played were exciting and enjoyable to watch, we reached two semi finals, played well in both against Liverpool and Arsenal and had controversial reffing decisions in both go against us.

At the playoff final in Cardiff we didn't turn up.

This season we have not impressed, whilst we have played superbly in some games, Southampton, Tottenham home and away, Bristol City away Barnsley away we have been ordinary in most games.

So. who knows?

If, by some weird circumstance we do go up, it will be the least convincing promotion in my lifetime.

Either way I agree with this article. http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/sheff-utd/alan-biggs-at-large-sheffield-united-boss-nigel-clough-s-job-shouldn-t-be-defined-by-play-off-result-1-7236460

One of either MK Dons or Preston to go up, United haven't got the guts or the quality in my honest opinion and has been proven in previous play off campaigns...

One of either MK Dons or Preston to go up, United haven't got the guts or the quality in my honest opinion and has been proven in previous play off campaigns...

I'd say it is guaranteed that one of PNE or MK Dons will go up, after all, one of them will take the automatic place.

As for not having the guts or quality, you may be right, however to compare it to other play off campaigns is a bit daft.

Should all players be fit, there will only be Doyle and Murphy in our starting XI who will have previously played in a play off campaign for the Blades.

I sense this opinion is a little bias. You couldn't possibly use the previous play-off campaigns as a benchmark for how well we might do in these play-offs. As for the lack of guts or quality I think this squad has more than proven itself to have both in abundance in big games when getting shut of Aston Villa, Fulham, Forest, Charlton, West Ham and Southampton as well as running Tottenham Hotspur close in the cup over the last 12 months or so. If these games aren't a testament to our guts and quality when faced with big games then I don't know what is.

Effectively that is what the play-offs are (knock out cup games), form goes out of the window and the best team on the day wins. I personally think that we are probably better equipped for the play-offs than we have ever been with the quality in our squad and the main factor is whether the manager uses them correctly.

I sense this opinion is a little bias. You couldn't possibly use the previous play-off campaigns as a benchmark for how well we might do in these play-offs. As for the lack of guts or quality I think this squad has more than proven itself to have both in abundance in big games when getting shut of Aston Villa, Fulham, Forest, Charlton, West Ham and Southampton as well as running Tottenham Hotspur close in the cup over the last 12 months or so. If these games aren't a testament to our guts and quality when faced with big games then I don't know what is.

Effectively that is what the play-offs are (knock out cup games), form goes out of the window and the best team on the day wins. I personally think that we are probably better equipped for the play-offs than we have ever been with the quality in our squad and the main factor is whether the manager uses them correctly.

I agree with that, as you say we have done well and showed some guts and effort in one off big games.

Of the teams you mention that we defeated over the last twelve months or so I thought our display against Charlton was particularly impressive.

After all they did come with the reputation of making some massive clubs completely lose their bottle when playing them. :hihi:

Unfortunately as usual when we get to this stage we have problems, both Done and Flynn are extremely doubtful for the playoffs and both are key players in my view.

or the luck!!

Preston are struggling. I think they threw away a lead in each of their three recent drawn matches. W13 D6 L0 since the start of February

19 games unbeaten is kind of a strange definition of "struggling".

19 games unbeaten is kind of a strange definition of "struggling".

Then they are definitely the one I'd prefer to play!

It's the ones who haven't won for 19 games we are rubbish against. :)