The steelworks cats

I used to work at Daniel Doncasters on Penistone Road, and there was a family of black feral cats there. Beautiful creatures they were too. The office workers used to feed them. I don't know whether the firm is still open now though. I left shortly before it was sold to new owners.

I remember one of those cats running across the stockyard with a full size live rabbit in it's mouth, one of the workers threw a brick at it and it dropped it and they both ran off.

At River Don there was a lady called Myra who used to spend her lunchtimes feeding & checking the health of the cats in all the departments.

In a bid to try to cut the numbers of cats I believe she introduced birth pills.

She did a very good job, bless her!

Happy Days! PopT

Edited by PopT

At River Don there was a lady called Myra who used to spend her lunchtimes feeding & checking the health of the cats in all the department.

In a bid to try to cut the numbers of cats I believe she introduced birth pills.

She did a very good job, bless her!

Happy Days! PopT

I remember Myra, she ran a charity called Cats in Industry and we had 3 feral cats from her. They had varying degrees of approachability; Ross was black and his nature was indistinguishable from normal domestic cats, Dillon, a silver tabby, was a law unto himself but did allow us to pick him up, feed him, etc. but only on his terms. However, Florence, while not violent or aggressive, never let us get closer than about 2 feet but was a lovely cat.

Remember once at Brown Bayleys being called to the casting cars as they wouldn't run. Fault found to be a very burnt moggy under the resistance banks.

Not the most pleasant of jobs I had there

my ex father in law brought home a cat home from forgemasters some years ago, she had kittens too. she was a tough cat very loving though she only passed on last month, was 22year old , they dont come any better then a firms cat loyal till the end.

Here is a photo of Mojo, an ex-Sheffield works cat, now aged 18 and enjoying retirement!.:)

My nephew took a tom kitten of a feral cat home as a pet for his two kids,it had been weaned and was only a tiny little thing cute as you like!.As it grew no matter how it was mollycoddled and petted it scratched and bit and snarled at one and all!.It was shiny black as night a nice specimen but it would not be tamed,its wildness must be bred in,it roams as tomcats do but comes home at mealtimes so its not stupid altogether!.