Stolen bike waitrose 29-04-2015

The thief is hardly going to go back there with it, is he? :D

They don't tend to be the brightest, so they might well cycle around the area on it.

---------- Post added 30-04-2015 at 11:59 ----------

One small issue is the part that says:

"Arm the tracker"

Does that mean you've got to turn it on everytime you want protection, can't it just be on all the time and you contact the tracker when you want a location??

Seems like the one time you forget to arm it is the one time the bike gets nicked.

I guess if it was on all the time it would be sending you text messages saying the bike was being knicked and then draining it's battery by activating the GPS.

You have to arm it, so it goes into vibration sensor mode, then if it detects movement it activates the GPS, texts you and starts uploading data.

Maybe it could auto-arm after 5 mins stationary though, with you only having to remember to unarm it before cycling off, that would be better.

---------- Post added 30-04-2015 at 12:00 ----------

I think he just wants everybody to know he has his lunch in Waitrose.

Because walking to the nearest supermarket from the office is so clever of me :-)

I guess if it was on all the time it would be sending you text messages saying the bike was being knicked and then draining it's battery by activating the GPS.

You have to arm it, so it goes into vibration sensor mode, then if it detects movement it activates the GPS, texts you and starts uploading data.

Maybe it could auto-arm after 5 mins stationary though, with you only having to remember to unarm it before cycling off, that would be better.

or have it on all the time, but only 'arm' it on the press of the button.

I have a similar tracker in my car, it's on all the time - you ring it and it will text your it's GPS co-ordinates.

You can arm it and other stuff as well if you want.

Best of both worlds IMO.

STOLEN BIKE

My silver rock rider 5.5 , with black front shocks, Michelin front tyre, and turquoise blue handle grips, has been stolen today from outside waitrose locked up with the other bikes. If anyone sees it about, or is offered it for sale, please get in touch..

Gutted, my only possession of any financial value... Took over 8 years to save after replacing last robbed one..

Please look out, bike thieves are scum.

These days rob eye balls and come back for your eyelashes

I have a similar tracker in my car, it's on all the time - you ring it and it will text your it's GPS co-ordinates.

Best of both worlds IMO.

Your car has a large battery and an engine. Run it all the time in a bike and it will be dead inside a day. Like leaving the GPS on on your phone.

Best of both worlds IMO.

Edited by dutch

I doubt that many bike thieves in Sheffield are running a GPS jammer when they steal them.

so sorry to hear that your pride and joy as been stolen, after all those years of saving. idon't know if you can insure bikes against theft or not. but maybe stores could do a lot more t protect property like at the NGH they supply a big cage out side the main entrance with padlocks on t maybe as more people are using cycles, they should supply a more secure area to keep cycles and suppy cctv camera'sof the area's i'm sure cyclists with expensive bikesld pay for that service

Your car has a large battery and an engine. Run it all the time in a bike and it will be dead inside a day. Like leaving the GPS on on your phone.

Tracker isn't connected to the car, battery lasts well over a week.

Not connected to the car at all? Or charged by the car when the car is running?

Of course it probably has the advantage of knowing when to arm by the fact that the car gets turned off. Bikes don't do that.

I'm speculating, but the car based device might stay on the phone network all the time, but it almost certainly doesn't run it's GPS all the time. Maybe it checks for an activation command once every 15 mins, and if it receives one it activates the GPS and starts reporting?

I guess the bike one could do the same, but you won't get an alert on someone stealing your bike then, you'll have to spot that it's gone and report it in order to activate the tracking.

Edited by Cyclone

To the op, what did you lock it with? You leave overnight?

I doubt that many bike thieves in Sheffield are running a GPS jammer when they steal them.

Most cycle thieves are small guys after a quick fix.

Any one with more advanced developed skills will go after cars and also use tracking signal jammers but these more intelligent gangs will operate most likely in bigger more developed cities.

Geared mentioned he thinks he is safe with a tracker, I assure you that you are not really safe but cyclone is right in mentioning that Sheffield criminals are not yet developed enough to use this technology.