City taxis buyout Mercury taxis in uber scare

go on, try a Boris bike, you know you want to

Do the bike thing regularly in That London.

Do the bike thing regularly in That London.

I'd love to. After a brain tumour I've had stroke like weakness on one side and I find going round in circles, often falling off a bike is not really a lady-like form of transport!

...whilst their self employed drivers scratch around struggling for work doing 70 hours a week plus !!!!!
I live near a taxi driver who drives for Mercury (or City or whatever they're called now) and he seems to be pretty well off? I mean it's none of my business really, but I can safely say he is definitely not "scratching around".

I live near a taxi driver who drives for Mercury (or City or whatever they're called now) and he seems to be pretty well off? I mean it's none of my business really, but I can safely say he is definitely not "scratching around".

Maybe he works 12 - 14 hours a day?

How will uber change that?

I've used Uber more than any other taxi company over the last few months. They've been a far superior and cheaper service.

To be honest, getting a taxi from home is never really an issue for me.

Getting a private hire back home has been a hit & miss nightmare over the years.

I've not had a single problem with Uber.

If anyone is curious as to why Sheffield is a mediocre forgotten backwater (sorry but it's true), this anti-Uber mentality is a great example.

If it was left to some on here we'd still be phoning for a taxi via our GPO (fixed to the wall) telephone (available in fetching shades of grey and beige).

Tech giant Uber chooses Wakefield for fifth British city

Not Sheffield mind. Wakefield.

Smartphone taxi firm Uber is coming to Bolton

Bolton!

Meanwhile, Leeds, which already has Uber, is stretching ahead of us again.

Uber launches ‘exec’ service for Leeds

Meanwhile the losers of Nowheresville will be sat puzzled and scratching their heads and wondering why t'council doesn't do something about it. :rolleyes:

If anyone is curious as to why Sheffield is a mediocre forgotten backwater (sorry but it's true), this anti-Uber mentality is a great example.

If it was left to some on here we'd still be phoning for a taxi via our GPO (fixed to the wall) telephone (available in fetching shades of grey and beige).

Tech giant Uber chooses Wakefield for fifth British city

Not Sheffield mind. Wakefield.

Smartphone taxi firm Uber is coming to Bolton

Bolton!

Meanwhile, Leeds, which already has Uber, is stretching ahead of us again.

Uber launches ‘exec’ service for Leeds

Meanwhile the losers of Nowheresville will be sat puzzled and scratching their heads and wondering why t'council doesn't do something about it. :rolleyes:

WOW, never thought of it like that, Good point well made Vague_Boy.

Its really about how you book it, how reliable is it, do they respond quickly to a call (when I'm running late to catch my train, again!) and the fare. I've looked at a quote or 2 and they do seem a lot cheaper but is it a good guide to the actual price?

Thanks

Its really about how you book it, how reliable is it, do they respond quickly to a call (when I'm running late to catch my train, again!) and the fare. I've looked at a quote or 2 and they do seem a lot cheaper but is it a good guide to the actual price?

Thanks

Uber, for me, have always been within the time quoted on the app and the price has always been within the 2 parameters given....usually towards the cheaper end.

Uber are on the way

Got a text from them earlier:

Hi Andrew,

UBER is looking forward to launching in SHEFFIELD soon - we'd love to tell you more!

If you're licensed from Sheffield City Council, please attend one of our information and on-boarding sessions:

12PM OR 4PM - MONDAY @ Uber, Blades Enterprise Ctr, Bramall Ln, S2 4SU (SUFC Stadium)

There'll be drinks and refreshments and we'll be able to answer all your questions - please bring your driver and vehicle docs if you want to sign up on the day.

You can book your slot here: t.uber.com/shfbooking

Thanks, David | Uber SHF

I have not used Uber in the UK yet but used it extensively in the USA and it was really easy and straight forward.

I have always used Mercury for the best part of 15-20 years, never bothered with City, Network, etc. Mercury drivers have always been pleasant, cars have been clean, a real shame this has happened.

many drivers do contract work for the hospitals, in Sheffield as well as a lot of airport runs and school runs so it's not all bad news for city cabs you go to the northerner gen any day and there will be dozens of city cabs waiting to pick up contract work I go there every tues, thurs, and sat, and they bring in and take home most dialysis paties as well as ortherpods. then there's hallamshire, and western park also childrens patients so not bad for them x