City taxis buyout Mercury taxis in uber scare

Uber has launched here this afternoon, a quick fare estimate in the app on my most regular journey from station to home shows it being around 25% cheaper than the regular black cab fare.

City taxis would probably be 25% cheaper than a black cab

City taxis would probably be 25% cheaper than a black cab

Uber are quoting me more than 25% less than City

Had first trip with Uber last night. Perfect service. The app said 6 mins for a taxi and it arrived bang on time. The driver was very excited about the new service and we even got an Uber welcome goody bag full of chocolates and stuff! I've been let down a few times by City over the last few months and their quality of service has dropped, perhaps this bit of competition will help to improve their operation.

Home to town would normally be £8-10 with City, Uber quoting £9.12. Not much difference at all (except I've got a £20 free ride just for registering with them)!

Referrals removed. Please cease from this - we do not allow affiliate links.

love it and the fact they are offering the first ride free up to £15 is great. Going to make life alot easier. Hope they bring Uber Black and Uber Lux soon

love it and the fact they are offering the first ride free up to £15 is great. Going to make life alot easier. Hope they bring Uber Black and Uber Lux soon

I just downloaded the app, why does it need access to absolutely everything on your device?

I don't trust anything that wants that

It's a very well established business that has been running for years with no reports of data loss or privacy issues. Due to the way the app works it needs acces to location settings, profile picture ect and you can link it to other apps or payment details.

It's a very well established business that has been running for years with no reports of data loss or privacy issues. Due to the way the app works it needs acces to location settings, profile picture ect and you can link it to other apps or payment details.

it asks for your contacts and few other things, that I think goes well beyond the scope of a taxi services needs.

I could understand a profile pic, that you upload. I could understand say an emergency contact that you enter... Not the need to access your whole phone

I think that the access to your contacts is that there is an option to split the fare so it may be required to facilitate this function.

On Iphone it only needs access to location while using and cellular data. Doesn't ask for contacts and you can turn off photos.

We city drivers are getting threats fro. City managers about joining them lol. I think ubet has really scared them a lot. A lot of city drivers are thinking about joining them.

City taxi are no match for uber. Give it a year uber will be a big taxi force in sheffield