City taxis buyout Mercury taxis in uber scare

I see from some of your posts that you're pretty clued up about how taxis work.

Yes.

I see from some of your posts that you're pretty clued up about how taxis work.

So you must surely be aware of the fact that no pre-booked taxi is guaranteed to turn up?

I'm not talking about the obvious unavoidables such as crashes, breakdowns, jams etc. I'm talking about the fact that all Sheffield taxi firms simply check for available drivers near the booking time, and, if there are none in the area, the booking will not happen.

A client could book a taxi for tommorrow morning @ 9am, and, if there are no taxis in the area when the call goes out before 9, then the booking will not happen. (I've actually been advised by several taxi firms that it's generally better to ring just before you want the taxi, rather than the day before.)

You are aware of that, aren't you?

You quoted my 2 simple questions to another poster, then wrote all this rhetorical patronising ranting nonsense.

I just asked a couple of questions, so I can be clearer about the details of this poster's situation, that's all.

Just getting an Uber at the minute is getting more and more difficult, especially in the daytime. Even near the centre of Sheffield...

Used City plenty of times, never had a problem cheers Dave

(I've actually been advised by several taxi firms that it's generally better to ring just before you want the taxi, rather than the day before.)

Saturday I pre-booked a taxi - arrived a bit late but nothing over the odds. My mate rang for a taxi - took ages. Hissing it down Saturday night, busy time - best to book. When I wanted to come home - 11.30 -m Saturday night, nothing available. Not a thing.

(I've actually been advised by several taxi firms that it's generally better to ring just before you want the taxi, rather than the day before.)

Saturday I pre-booked a taxi - arrived a bit late but nothing over the odds. My mate rang for a taxi - took ages. Hissing it down Saturday night, busy time - best to book. When I wanted to come home - 11.30 -m Saturday night, nothing available. Not a thing.

Saturday was very busy I hear. Sadly not for me, I hit a speed bump on Meersbrook Pk Rd on Friday night, snapped my suspension, whole weekend lost :(

Im looking at buying a private hire vehicle after christmas if anyone is selling one or knows of one for sale

Im looking at buying a private hire vehicle after christmas if anyone is selling one or knows of one for sale

There just ordinary cars, you cannot buy a private hire vehicle.

There just ordinary cars, you cannot buy a private hire vehicle.

Cant i buy a car with the private hire plate aready on it ??

of course you cant, are you pulling my plonker

of course you cant, are you pulling my plonker

No not at all

Ive seen black cabs for sale including plate so why not private hire

No not at all

Ive seen black cabs for sale including plate so why not private hire

Ash where are you

---------- Post added 01-12-2015 at 12:28 ----------

if you buy a black cab or a phv you still have to take the SCC taxi test to use it legally. plated or not the plate only allows you to use maybe ranks or other things

Give me a shout when you want to buy one, and have a facebook account. There is a forum on there, and there are always PHVs for sale or rent.

Yes you can. You have to be licensed to drive it though.