City taxis buyout Mercury taxis in uber scare

At 5pm today uber were surging, £6 minimum fare. Don't think you'd use them then would you? Especially when there are plenty of other taxis available cheaper, would be stupid not to use them wouldn't it.

City don't allow drivers to pick and choose but you can return a job for any reason, returned jobs are monitored and must stay below 5%, and it dosnt take 6 mins to regenerate a job, probably 6 seconds.

The job then goes back into their system and takes 6 minutes before it is presented again for another driver to accept or refuse.

Now I don't know if this is true or not,

It isn't true.

anyone tried gett taxi yet?

Can't see gett doing very well in sheffield.

Yeah I can't see them doing well either just thought some people would have tried it out since they are giving free rides out.

Used Uber for first time tonight - free offer. Was about 70p cheaper than normal (7.20p) and driver was nice and polite. It's an option to use against City but I wouldn't rate one against the other atm

Uber has been picking up on the manor today.

I only heard about UBER from a City taxy driver, from what he was saying the drives are happy City/Mercury will have some competition

city taxis are sponsoring a big event at lowedges and theres a lot more of there cars in the area recently so they get my vote thanks

At 5pm today uber were surging, £6 minimum fare. Don't think you'd use them then would you? Especially when there are plenty of other taxis available cheaper, would be stupid not to use them wouldn't it.

City don't allow drivers to pick and choose but you can return a job for any reason, returned jobs are monitored and must stay below 5%, and it dosnt take 6 mins to regenerate a job, probably 6 seconds.

Really?

This is really odd.

My wife got an uber at 17.07 at standard rate from the town centre.

No surge.

2 minute wait.

---------- Post added 04-07-2015 at 23:50 ----------

Im guessing that the best thing to do is try Uber first. If they're surge charging, phone City.

It's a win win.

If you get an Uber with no surge it'll definitely be cheaper than City.

If they are surge charging, and you actually manage to get a City taxi, you're no worse off.

Jobs a good 'un.

Edited by swordfish1

Really?

This is really odd.

My wife got an uber at 17.07 at standard rate from the town centre.

No surge.

2 minute wait.

---------- Post added 04-07-2015 at 23:50 ----------

Im guessing that the best thing to do is try Uber first. If they're surge charging, phone City.

It's a win win.

If you get an Uber with no surge it'll definitely be cheaper than City.

If they are surge charging, and you actually manage to get a City taxi, you're no worse off.

Jobs a good 'un.

Can't fault ya, I've just checked the uber app and they're surging again £6 min fare in the city centre, city app shows lots of available vehicles. Maybe once uber get a few more drivers the surge will go down. City are in a different league at the moment with 1500 drivers compared to about 70/80 with uber, September will see alot of change when the students are back.

Edited by PAKS4

Question for Ash / other taxi men.

As I recall some businesses who only do pre booked jobs, mainly airports, have never had the need to be registered as a taxi or PH vehicle IF the driver doesn't take the payment, I.e. It's paid in advance perhaps.

Is that still the case? Do stretch limo's fall into this category?

The reason I ask is - could Uber employ such drivers, seeing as though no money changes hands?