City taxis buyout Mercury taxis in uber scare

The article states at the bottom that Uber has backstop insurance in place so customers are not at risk.

the thing is, its still kind of scary that this can happen.

if big things like that can get through the loops, what about CRB checks?

the thing is, its still kind of scary that this can happen.

if big things like that can get through the loops, what about CRB checks?

A criminal records check is carried out by the authority issuing the licence. Uber is coming under scrutiny (and rightly so) because they are becoming a huge international company but it's unlikely we'll see any stories about their local competition, do you really think Uber is the only company where drivers are fiddling insurance?

A criminal records check is carried out by the authority issuing the licence. Uber is coming under scrutiny (and rightly so) because they are becoming a huge international company but it's unlikely we'll see any stories about their local competition, do you really think Uber is the only company where drivers are fiddling insurance?

no, but i think when its more local theres more accountability down to the owners. Easier for the authorities to reach out to local owners than say someone based in Silicon Valley, CA (if they need to go to the tippity top, that is)

Excuse me, but what've Sheffield City Taxi got to do with Mercury?

Sheffield City Taxi's are rubbish, whereas Mercury are a really decent private company .. :(

Could not disagree more. Mercury taxis negligence cauused my terminally ill partner to be tipped out of his wheelchair due to **** poor attention to securing the chair, and then driving erratically and far too fast round a corner on a hill.

I could not be happier if they have gone down the toilet, and if not, their time will hopefully come.

There is a programme on on Thursday, Watchdog, BBC1 8pm examining a hacking scandal surrounding online cab company Uber. Just saying.....

City are definitely running scared!! Managers and shareholders are using uber themselves to catch out their own drivers working on both companies!! My best friend works at City and it's all they talk about UBER !!!all weekend the bosses were in the office at night and even in town watching the uber cars to check they aren't their drivers !!

I pre booked a Mercury taxi only to be told its now CITY - 3 calls and 30 mins no Taxi as the drivers are still bidding for it? So the service has gone from bad to worse and if they want to stay in this business then they better get their finger out!

I don't think a lot of these firms going to survive for the simple reason the technology is obsolete Radio v App! You have a robot running the show who does turn up,charge you for the shortest journey and is never grumpy :)

One of Ubers biggest backers and technology is Google !

The thing with city taxis is they priorertise the work with all credit/account work first to be covered and cash is always second ! This is because they deduct up to 15percent from drivers account jobs as an admin fee as against cash jobs earn city nothing !!!!! It's the nhs work that's big for city and a real big earner in deductions from drivers so uber don't undertake account work so will easily pick up and cover all the Sheffield folk as priority so give uber your business and support

I'd love to see the expenses claims before and after Uber came along. The fact that it's often cheaper but also doesn't include 'tips' means its going to save a lot of cash for business/public sector. Journeys where I used to claim back £10 now come in at £6/7 and I have a clear receipt that I can print and use.

City are definitely running scared!! Managers and shareholders are using uber themselves to catch out their own drivers working on both companies!! My best friend works at City and it's all they talk about UBER !!!all weekend the bosses were in the office at night and even in town watching the uber cars to check they aren't their drivers !!

Looking for drivers working on both doesn't mean 'running scared'... if you ran a business and your employees might be working for the competition, would you not look into it?

Shock horror!

I pre booked a Mercury taxi only to be told its now CITY - 3 calls and 30 mins no Taxi as the drivers are still bidding for it? So the service has gone from bad to worse and if they want to stay in this business then they better get their finger out!

Same time that everyone else wanted a taxi by any chance? Saturday night from 11pm, or any week night at same time when in a student area?

I don't think a lot of these firms going to survive for the simple reason the technology is obsolete Radio v App! You have a robot running the show who does turn up,charge you for the shortest journey and is never grumpy :)

One of Ubers biggest backers and technology is Google !

A mixed message, what do you want, radios or robots?

Mercury and City had an App, and City still do. There are still despatchers, not robots. What do you think Uber is? Do you think they have despatchers?

Yes, in the future Google will put us all out of work, and you can smile at your prompt robot picking you up. Another massive company gobbling up jobs that humans once did. Will they be any good anyway? Who you gonna shout at when the robot starts taking you the wrong way? It's unlikely to be Total Recall, when you can rip the driver out and take yourself :D

The thing with city taxis is they priorertise the work with all credit/account work first to be covered and cash is always second ! This is because they deduct up to 15percent from drivers account jobs as an admin fee as against cash jobs earn city nothing !!!!! It's the nhs work that's big for city and a real big earner in deductions from drivers so uber don't undertake account work so will easily pick up and cover all the Sheffield folk as priority so give uber your business and support

Utter crap and not worth responding to. Talk to your best mate again.