City taxis buyout Mercury taxis in uber scare

Uber have given me £100 of free rides in 3 months through referrals. City have never given me anything, guess who I will be using?

on the first day of recruiting drivers the whole of john street was chocka block with taxis going to the united ground to sign up. city should just sell to uber and have done

Used Uber 7 times now since Friday. The service every time has been really good. The prices are around 20% cheaper too.

There doesn't seem to be many taxis around in the daytime when I check the app, but I'm sure that will change over the next few weeks and months.

Personally, I think Uber will run the City Centre taxi operation in a few months time, and that City Taxis and the other firms will do better in the suburbs around Sheffield and with other contract work.

Anybody used uber taxis in Sheffield as they are up and running

I know many Sheffield Forum users have used Uber in other cities, but what are your first impressions of Uber in Sheffield?

A marked improvement in driver standards? Or have the usual suspects just jumped ship?

I notice that uber have entered the new areas including Sheffield at a 'quiet time' when the students are all gradually finishing for the year and heading off out of the city. There's usually a busy 'up-tick' in trade during the September/October months as students come back in, and especially first years don't know their way around yet.

Uber will be pandering to us right now, what with the freebie offers and 'quick' arrival of drivers, but I'll bet that they haven't activated the 'surge pricing' structure yet for this area, even at times when they are busy right now. They'll not want to sting the potential word of mouth free advertising that they're currently generating. It will come as a bit of a shock to people when that finally does arrive in this area.

At least City Taxis and the other 'proper' taxi companies can't instantly sting the prices up like that unless accounting for 'fines' for cleaning the taxi etc.

We city drivers are getting threats fro. City managers about joining them lol. I think ubet has really scared them a lot. A lot of city drivers are thinking about joining them.

City taxi are no match for uber. Give it a year uber will be a big taxi force in sheffield

City taxis thought they had the monopoly in Sheffield and Uber is a threat to them, nothing wrong with competition as they say. :hihi:

I have been a Mercury user for years. Now with the merger I am using City. I have found no degradation of service and the fares have stayed the same as they were with Mercury which is fine. No problems with lateness, grumpy drivers or mucky cabs - so so far am quite happy with City who I hadn't used before

Usual City price to take me to the football- £14, Uber price- £9 - its basic common sense to use Uber IMHO.

Usual City price to take me to the football- £14, Uber price- £9 - its basic common sense to use Uber IMHO.

If you live in Dronfield it would be even more common sense to get a Stagecoach Megarider Gold bus ticket for less then £6 ;)

If you live in Dronfield it would be even more common sense to get a Stagecoach Megarider Gold bus ticket for less then £6 ;)

And let it take 55 minutes to get to town from my house instead of 15- no thanks ;)

Uber gives a price range for the journey that has been quite accurate so far. Can the City app do the same thing? I keep accidentally booking taxis when I try:hihi: