City taxis buyout Mercury taxis in uber scare

. A world away from most black cabs in Sheffield who make you feel like you're bothering them when you get in and usually only speak to ask you for directions.

Do you mean with just Black Cabs or call hire ones?, I have had some very positive experiences with the latter and I have to use taxis a fair bit.

Just to clarify some of the inaccurate quotes on here, City did buy out Mercury partly because of the threat by Uber and the fact the owners at Mercury wanted out and took up the offer.

Another thing, drivers aren't being held to ransom at CityTaxis, they can go to Uber and try them out and if it doesn't work out they will be allowed to come back, but will have to join the waiting list (if there is one).

Drivers who go to Uber and still use a City radio if caught will not be allowed to work for City again, seems fair to me.

Uber are a totally different ball game, I do mainly airports and a dutch guy I spoke to the other day said they have been kicked out of Holland because of some irregularities, same in Spain and Germany (i think)

Will they survive in England? who knows but the London cabbies are putting up quite a fight.

Time will tell.

Do you mean with just Black Cabs or call hire ones?, I have had some very positive experiences with the latter and I have to use taxis a fair bit.

I travel a fair bit by taxi (not being medically able to drive) and have had almost universally positive experiences.

Drivers vary of course, like all people. Some are chatty, some don't say much but I find that if they're treated with some respect and consideration, they respond in kind.

So either I've been very fortunate or perhaps my attitude is a factor? I dunno.

Just to clarify some of the inaccurate quotes on here, City did buy out Mercury partly because of the threat by Uber and the fact the owners at Mercury wanted out and took up the offer.

Another thing, drivers aren't being held to ransom at CityTaxis, they can go to Uber and try them out and if it doesn't work out they will be allowed to come back, but will have to join the waiting list (if there is one).

Drivers who go to Uber and still use a City radio if caught will not be allowed to work for City again, seems fair to me.

Uber are a totally different ball game, I do mainly airports and a dutch guy I spoke to the other day said they have been kicked out of Holland because of some irregularities, same in Spain and Germany (i think)

Will they survive in England? who knows but the London cabbies are putting up quite a fight.

Time will tell.

My bold=

Drivers pay radio rent for use of the radio so if a driver pays his radio rent to city and wants to work via Uber than why are city dictating that they can't do that?

Taxi drivers are self employed so should be free to do as they choose, city IMO are running a monopoly and are threatening drivers that if they go to uber they will not get a city radio again as told to me by a few mates who drive for city.

city cars have now got the contract to pick up and return dialysis patients to and from the NGH x

My bold=

Drivers pay radio rent for use of the radio so if a driver pays his radio rent to city and wants to work via Uber than why are city dictating that they can't do that?

Taxi drivers are self employed so should be free to do as they choose, city IMO are running a monopoly and are threatening drivers that if they go to uber they will not get a city radio again as told to me by a few mates who drive for city.

No City WILL let them go, they can try Uber out and return, but they will then have to join the waiting list like every other person wanting to join the firm.

What City will not tolerate is a driver working for both, ie having a City radio whilst also working for Uber, this would be seen as conflicting and the driver will not be able to offer City his full service whilst taking Uber jobs.

I don't see an issue with that myself, and doesn't really matter if they are self employed, there are rules within the company.

My bold=

No City WILL let them go, they can try Uber out and return, but they will then have to join the waiting list like every other person wanting to join the firm.

What City will not tolerate is a driver working for both, ie having a City radio whilst also working for Uber, this would be seen as conflicting and the driver will not be able to offer City his full service whilst taking Uber jobs.

I don't see an issue with that myself, and doesn't really matter if they are self employed, there are rules within the company.

I'm not sure it's worth you and Mafya arguing about the 'working for both', first obviously it's a conflict of interest as you said and understandable/obviously radio removal, but second, I don't think the council allow a driver to work for two companies (I would have to check that to be 100% certain though)

Edited by *_ash_*

What if a driver wanted to work weekends for city and rest of time ie mon to Thursday via Uber?

Not a taxi driver myself so not bothered but a my city driver mates all say city do as they please abe are really against Uber taking off in Sheffield as they make no radio rent money.

What if a driver wanted to work weekends for city and rest of time ie mon to Thursday via Uber?

Not a taxi driver myself so not bothered but a my city driver mates all say city do as they please abe are really against Uber taking off in Sheffield as they make no radio rent money.

As I've said, City will not let them because it is conflict of interest, and if your mates are that disgruntled about working for City then surely they'll be only too happy to switch over to Uber on a permanent basis?

Taxidrivers do like to moan though, City might have tough guidelines for their drivers, personally I think this is a good thing, City have also invested a lot of money making sure they are bang up to date with all the latest technology to help their customers, and the feedback from them is usually positive.

Totally agree with you, it's just like any other company, whether employed or self employed, if self employed then you are providing a service on the grounds of the expectation of the company you are working for... In other words as you say, if City rules are "if you drive for us, then you can only drive for us" then that's fair.

Do City Cars guarantee fares?

Cant wait for Uber, so much easier, cheaper and far nicer cars. Some of the taxis I have been in recently have been horrendous.

No more Mercury is Better than City or City is Better than Mercury. ...And No more Ringing 2 Taxi Firms Happy Days..

And Hopefully very few No Pick ups