Adults crossing "on the red man" in front of kids

I have read this thread incredulously. And honestly have no idea where to even start. Have to say here I'm with Cyclone, Gnomi etc. I find it incredible that anyone would think me irresponsible for crossing the road perfectly safely just because someone want's to wait for the 'green man'. What would you do if there was no crossing? Simply stay on the wrong side of the road? Or do what hundreds of mothers with pushchairs do and stick them out into the road hoping drivers will stop and let them cross?

But for me Squiggs has hit the nail perfectly on the head with the comments about 'mucky beer'. Just how many so called 'irresponsible' behaviours do you think your child is exposed to every week? Drinking? Smoking? Swearing? Getting a tattoo?Walking down the street whilst texting? Running with scissors...

Honestly, what you going to do? Ban every possible action that could result in your child seeing something you have told them is bad? As other people have stated, your children are YOUR responsibility and it's up to you to choose how to bring them up. My parents taught me what to do and not to do despite what others (and they themselves) often did as I'm sure yours did too. And guess what? We survived!

As if the green man is any kind of indication that you can cross the road safely. It's quite within the law to cross a road with the red man showing, it's the drivers that cross the line on amber and red that are the danger here, not pedestrians crossing the road in a normal fashion when (gasp) children might be watching.

As if the green man is any kind of indication that you can cross the road safely. It's quite within the law to cross a road with the red man showing, it's the drivers that cross the line on amber and red that are the danger here, not pedestrians crossing the road in a normal fashion when (gasp) children might be watching.

Quite.

If jaywalking were against the law maybe I’d agree with the thread but, I don’t really see the problem with crossing a road safely and legally in front of a child.

Exactly!

People crossing with the green man ignorantly should be more of a worry than the original "bad man":D.

Because people never run reds you know :gag:.

I quite often walk across the road when the red man is showing and there are children waiting with their parents. I do feel some sort of guilt pang when I do it but I'm usually in a rush and they've got their own parents/guardian looking out for them BUT If there are children on their own then no I don't cross, I wait..

When I'm waiting with my daughter for the green man, there has been quite a few occasions when adults have crossed on the red man. My daughter always says they are naughty and I tell her that a car could get them and that's why you should wait for the green man. Whilst it would be nice for all adults to wait for the green man this is not reality and throughout her life I'm sure my daughter will see things that go against what I tell her about right and wrong, I also feel it important for her to understand not everyone thinks the same and want her to know the reasons obviously age appropriate to my decisions. I'm hoping that by doing this she will make better choices when she older.

I'm pretty good at judging speed and distance, I suppose it's something you develop as an adult, and from using the roads a lot as a driver, pedestrian and cyclist. If I can see a gap while the red man is on, I will walk/jog across, I probably wouldn't notice if children were there or not, and it would not affect me decision to cross.

If you can't stop and observe the green cross code in front of children (or help them and others to cross safely), you need to modify your behaviour so that you do. It is good manners.

Teaching children how to behave, by setting a good example, is a responsibility of all adults, regardless of whether or not they have their own children.

There might be some junctions where it is safe to cross without waiting for the green man, but if children, women or elderly are present, you should either wait, or proceed to stand in the road, point out it is safe to cross and then wait for women, children and elderly to cross safely, before finishing crossing yourself.

Observe the green cross code, or help people to cross safely. Simple.

To rush around with only concern for oneself, and set a bad example, is to risk the safety of others, it is selfish and dangerous.

You've managed to miss the point of the thread and confuse "green man" with "green cross code".

Women... Wow. You're setting up yourself for some righteous smackdown. I think you should probably crawl back under your bridge.

You've managed to miss the point of the thread and confuse "green man" with "green cross code".

Women... Wow. You're setting up yourself for some righteous smackdown. I think you should probably crawl back under your bridge.

Apparently us females are incapable of crossing a road under our own judgement, maybe we are too stupid? :confused:

? I haven't confused anything, you are just trying to be pedantic for the sake of it, and turn the thread into a slanging match.

People cross in multiple locations, so you shouldn't set a bad example anywhere where people may cross.

Ad hominem attacks already? What about women? Don't you keep an eye out for them to make sure they cross safely?

You're clearly trolling with your sexism. Give up, you're far too obvious.