I am moving in to a flat off Orphanage Road by Firshill Primary School in a couple of weeks from the south, can anyone give me an idea of what the area is like?

I have had mixed reviews from friends across Sheffield, and the time I spent there it seemed to be relatively quiet.

Any independent advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Luke

Its not a part of Sheffield with the greatest reputation. You're just up from Fir Vale, by the Northern General Hospiatel, that a lot of effort is going into regenerating. I don't know that there is anything especially dodgy about it but there is not a lot of wealth there. You are also up the road from Burngreave which is a New Deal for Communities area, ie another form of regeneration. It doesn't have a great reputation (ahem) but it also has some residents who are very committed to the area. My guess is that both areas will become more attractive in the longer term but I don't think estate agents would describe them as sort after at the mo.

Orphange Road, I think, backs on to a fairly quiet part of town where there is a lot oc accommodation for older people. Firshill School won a few awards a couple of years ago cos of an innovative headteacher and the local comp has been feted as a wayward school that was turned around. You also get the odd student around there, especially student nurses.

I hope this helps. Its not my own part of town so you may get a better view from a local.

Thanks for that. I have to say all the houses in the immediate area seem to be well kept, I would suggest that as an indication as to what the area is like.

My mum lives on Firshill Croft, which is near Orphanage Road, which I used to go up twice a day when I went to St. Catherine's Junior school. Orphanage Road is in Pitsmoor (I wish people would stop saying Burngreave to the area), and the area has seen better days. It is however now 10 times better than say five years ago. What's missing in that part of town is a supermarket, but there are lots of little shops open til late on Barnsley Road. The Sportsman pub is a good place to meet the locals. Just behind Orphangae Road is Roe Lane, where you wouldn't guess you were in the moddle of the city. Roe Wood is an ancient piece of woodland, and is good for a walk. The area isn't posh, but I enjoyed living round there, so good luck.

Thanks for the comments.

I have heard bad things about a place called Spital Hill & something referred to as the Afro Club? Any comments on these? Are they close to Orphanage RD?

Originally posted by luke_owl

Thanks for the comments.

I have heard bad things about a place called Spital Hill & something referred to as the Afro Club? Any comments on these? Are they close to Orphanage RD?

When my son was small, i used to live in pitsmoor. we had a couple of blues clubs pretty much on out doorstep! one four doors away, the other two streets down.

The afro-carribean club, (which is/was also known as "Donkey Man's blues club") is about a mile and a half/ a mile and 3/4, back towards town.

if you have access to a map, follow Barnsley Road from the Orphanage Road junction, back towards town (down-wards, on the map page) and you will see that Spital Hill starts where Barnsley Road/Burngreave Road ends. (Barnsley/ Burngreave and Spital Hill are pretty much a continuation of the same road)

However, do not fret, Orphanage Road is far enough away to not be affected much by any events on Spital Hill.

(also you have an excellent choice of buses to get you to the city centre etc,)

PT

Thanks for that PT.

Would you say that Orphanage Road is far enough away from any trouble spots?

I keep hearing mixed reviews on the area and I think most of my friends are unsure to its exact location and just keep saying that Pitsmoor in general is rough...

go to streetmap UK website (streetmap.co.uk)

and, after clicking on the Lat/long option, simply enter the following co-ordinates in the box.

Location of orphanage rd is at 435752E 389633N (N53:24:08 W1:27:49)(or thereabouts)

the afro carribean club is at 436250,388250 IIRC

as others have said it's not horrendous there.... it's just hotspots around that give it a bad reputation. I've lived round there and it's liveable with.

hope that helps?

PT

That is great, thanks.

Can you give me an idea of certain "hotspots" to avoid?

Are there any pubs around that way that are notorious for trouble, etc?