Area of Southey Green

Often wondered what constitutes the area known as Southey Green, (I am aware where it is) but what are it's boundaries (not electoral) i.e. roads e.t.c ?

I was always puzzled as to where nearby places, Longley, Shirecliffe, FirthPark and Parson Cross and so on, start and end in relevance to that sector of Sheffield.

I came across this post while searching to find the boundaries of Southey, all i can find are the wards for elections :(

I have recently moved and I whole heartedly believe that I live in Southey but my OH is adamant it is Parson Cross! I live on Barrie Road - if you have any ideas about it?!

However, I used to live on Everingham road, which is classed as Longley and theres a sign at the bottom of Moonshine Lane saying welcome to Southey. I beleive the boundary for Southey/Longley is along this road, as I knew someone living on the new estate on Moonshine and they were classed as Southey.

Do what estate agents do and call it whichever is thought to be the better area (e.g. Fulwood rather than Lodge Moor). Sometimes one area is a small part of another (e.g. Wisewood/Wadsley etc are just parts of Hillsborough) rather than separate areas in themselves.

I was always puzzled as to where nearby places, Longley, Shirecliffe, FirthPark and Parson Cross and so on, start and end in relevance to that sector of Sheffield.
A very good way to tell is the name of your nearest post office - if it still exists.

Do what estate agents do and call it whichever is thought to be the better area (e.g. Fulwood rather than Lodge Moor). Sometimes one area is a small part of another (e.g. Wisewood/Wadsley etc are just parts of Hillsborough) rather than separate areas in themselves.

Hillsborough now according to the estate agent is now massive. I have seen bottom of Foxhill Rd be classed as Hillsborough. All of Owlerton if anyone remembers Owlerton is Hillsborough. Wadsley and Wisewood is Hillsborough. middlewood is Hillsborough.

I think they are making a mistake. All these area's are nice and if anything better than Hillsborough itself. Wadsley into Middlewood is better than Dore imo. Working in Dore at the moment and cant see what people see in it. The neighbours don't know each other.

I came across this post while searching to find the boundaries of Southey, all i can find are the wards for elections :(

I have recently moved and I whole heartedly believe that I live in Southey but my OH is adamant it is Parson Cross! I live on Barrie Road - if you have any ideas about it?!

However, I used to live on Everingham road, which is classed as Longley and theres a sign at the bottom of Moonshine Lane saying welcome to Southey. I beleive the boundary for Southey/Longley is along this road, as I knew someone living on the new estate on Moonshine and they were classed as Southey.

I live on Barrie Road, its defo Southey Green.

But then Herries Road a few roads back is Shirecliffe.

Which end of Barrie Road?

Often wondered what constitutes the area known as Southey Green, (I am aware where it is) but what are it's boundaries (not electoral) i.e. roads e.t.c ?

I think you'll find that areas are designated by electoral roll (council wards) and not estate agents- sorry just saying :)

Hillsborough now according to the estate agent is now massive. I have seen bottom of Foxhill Rd be classed as Hillsborough. All of Owlerton if anyone remembers Owlerton is Hillsborough. Wadsley and Wisewood is Hillsborough. middlewood is Hillsborough.

I think they are making a mistake. All these area's are nice and if anything better than Hillsborough itself. Wadsley into Middlewood is better than Dore imo. Working in Dore at the moment and cant see what people see in it. The neighbours don't know each other.

You'll have to expand (excuse slight pun) - what are the Hillsborough boundaries in your opinion?

As a former taxi despatcher, (on the old side too - manually calling areas, as well as physically drawing zone borders on to computer systems with GPS), there were always disputes over borders. This could be a lengthy thread if everyone posts their opinions! :hihi:

I know what you mean about estate agents though. If I was to sell up now, I would live at 'far lower Grenoside Village valley', or 'East Dore', either of which could not be lying when I live in Hillsborough.

Estate agents have a lot to answer for :)

Hi stpetre, only just dropped on to this thread but as I was born in that general area perhaps I can offer some comments.

Southey Green was the name used for the area centered on the Magnet public House and the terminal point for the buses; the School being a few minutes walk to the east along Southey Green Road.

The estate developed from the late 20's embracing the 'Longley' and 'Southey' street names fell partly in the Ecclesfield Parish of the Wortley Rural District before Boundary changes.

I believe that the feature used to separate Southey from Longley was the now piped watercourse Bagley Dike (some very detailed research already on this forum) which rises to the west of Moonshine Lane near Herries Road. It flows through parts of the estate in a NE'ly direction to Longley Park before resurfacing.

For the most part it seems whichever side of the old original main road network the district lies, determines the locality by which the district is known (e.g.Shirecliffe is South and West of Herries Road).

Most of the folk posting on the 'District threads' seem to be in no doubt as to where they belong though, as a newcomer to this forum,having lived in both Southey (near the old Post Office) and Longley (a stones throw from the Park) I do understand the blurred boundary perception.

Hope this helps a little:)

Hi all.

Having lived on moonshine lane for over 40 years and on Raisenhall Rd for a Number of years before that I always believed that I lived in Southey Green. I was a little puzzled yesterday when the voting booth was open at the library and I could not vote even though I live almost opposite the library. Apparently I don't live in the same ward. The one thing that gets my goat is when I get an official letter particularly from the NHS the address always says that I live in Parson Cross ?I was born on palgrave Rd and lived also on Meynell road which are both in my mind Parson Cross. Yet the Lidl store on Halifax Road their address states it is in Southey? I maybe getting on a little in years and thinking I get confused but there are people much younger out there making the decisions that seem to be very muddled. Please take me away now ��

ps I still don't know for definite where I live

Edited by birichen
Addition