New Pensioners - will you miss out?

I wonder how many people on here are affected by this?

If you are due to become a pensioner in the next 11 months you will be £140 a month worse off than those who retire after this.

We are the ones who in spite of having to wait longer for a pension, will only receive the old rate of £115 per week. However if you retire after April 6th next year, you will receive the new rate of £150 per week. That's £460 a month to live on, or £600 a month.

This is a considerable difference, and for a couple means they will be over £3,600 a year worse off for the rest of their lives, which when you're on a pension is a lot. There will be two types of pensioner, those getting the new rate and those on the old, which is going to be much harder to administrate. It would surely be more efficient to have all pensioners on the same rate.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more of an outcry over this.

Yes I'm surprised more people haven't made a fuss. Unfortunately I am one of the ones that will miss out as I am due to get my pension in January next year. Its just so unfair that there are 2 different rates, everyone should get the same regardless of their age.

I started drawing my state pension over 5 years ago and I receive over 20% more than the new rate ,even my first payment was more than £150-00 a week as I paid serps in its various guises when employed by companies which did not have a pension scheme to which I contributed when possible so it does not effect everyone

If you are due to become a pensioner in the next 11 months you will be £140 a month worse off than those who retire after this.

We are the ones who in spite of having to wait longer for a pension, will only receive the old rate of £115 per week. However if you retire after April 6th next year, you will receive the new rate of £150 per week. That's £460 a month to live on, or £600 a month.

This is a considerable difference, and for a couple means they will be over £3,600 a year worse off for the rest of their lives, which when you're on a pension is a lot. There will be two types of pensioner, those getting the new rate and those on the old, which is going to be much harder to administrate. It would surely be more efficient to have all pensioners on the same rate.

No one misses out read the link.http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/reaching-state-pension-age-on-or-after-6-april-2016

Some people will no doubt be able to delay taking the pension until after the date.

This is a good idea anyway if you are able to keep working, an extra 10% for each year you delay it iirc?

This incentive is being reduced to 5% soon.

People might not know about this 2 tier system that's why its not been objected to, have not heard anything from the other parties about it being unfair

My dad will be elegible for his pension on August 14th this year, will he be better off waiting till after April 6th next year to get the higher rate and will he be able to do this?

No one misses out read the link.http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/reaching-state-pension-age-on-or-after-6-april-2016

Thanks for the link. I've had a look but to be honest I can't make heads or tails of it.

"They" (the government) would have you believe no one will be worse or better off.

In truth, those on the "old rate" will be the the richer.

"They" set a minimum income required that a person needs to live on....currently £148-50 per week.

The new pension will be just that ... £148-50.

Under the old system the same person receives £115 per week AND it is then topped up to the minimum of £148-50 through pension credit.

Once in receipt of pension credit other benefits then become available such as free dental care, help with council tax, and more.

Those on the new system loose out on the extra benefits available through pension credit benefits.

It's just another money saving exercise from the condems!

All new pensioners AFTER 6th April next year are the worst off.

"They" (the government) would have you believe no one will be worse or better off.

"They" set a minimum income required that a person needs to live on....currently £148-50 per week.

Under the old system the same person receives £115 per week AND it is then topped up to the minimum of £148-50 through pension credit.

Once in receipt of pension credit other benefits then become available such as free dental care, help with council tax, and more.

Those on the new system loose out on the extra benefits available through pension credit benefits.

Thanks for explaining that Allen. :thumbsup:

Good heavens, the sneaky ******** - that's shocking!

Edited by Mr Bloom

Sounds good Allen but what about those and they are plenty of us around who will not qualify for pension credit and so we continue on our meagre pensions