Panic attack during MRI scan

CT scanners make a gentle whirr, MRI scanners sound like you've got your head inside a washing machine full of scrap metal. Actually no, it's too rhythmic for that. 30 seconds of 'bangbangbangbangbang' followed by 50 seconds of 'bangpopbangpopbangpopbangpop' then 20 seconds of nothing then another 'bangbangbangbang' session and 'dongdongdongdong' for a bit.

I hope you're not entering that for the Eurovision Song Contest.:hihi:

I hope you're not entering that for the Eurovision Song Contest.:hihi:

My mother, who has struggled with claustrophobia, was concerned about panicking during her first MRI. Relaxation techniques -- especially square breathing -- helped her control the anxiety. For her second MRI, Mom's doctor arranged for an "open MRI" which doesn't have an enclosed chamber. If an open MRI isn't available, consider asking the doctor for a mild sedative.

Plz could you tell me more information in regards to open mri scanner as I suffer from claustrophobia, I'm saw bad I can never go in lift..plz how do I get information on these open Mri machine, I'm due to have one tomorrow sat at the northern general I don't think I could go throw it again

Have you had one? Has someone you know? If so do you know what caused it and did you overcome this panic?

I didn't have a panic attack but somebody failed to warn me how loud it is. Had I known, I would have worn some ear plugs.

I didn't care much for the claustrophobic space limit either, 20 min stuck in a narrow tube with cannon fire going on around you is never going to be a pleasant experience.

I had an MRI at the Northern General a year or so ago, headphones and music (Beatles I think), while not being tea on the patio it wasn't the slightest bit unpleasant, and I specifically told them I wouldn't take a contrast injection. While it's confining it's not closed off, like being locked in a wardrobe or lift. Hard to tell that to a panic attack though. Just show me a dentists chair and I'm on the floor these days :(

If it's a real issue, your doctor could possibly prescribe you a sedative. My late partner had to have monthly MRI's with contrast injections and had become needle phobic with all the chemo she'd had etc, and a little sedation an hour before went a very long way to making them bearable. She'd done hypnotherapy and relaxation before, which helped a little, but the sedation was what really worked for her.

Best of luck.

The thing that tends to scare people (other than the claustrophobia thing) with MRIs is that the machines are really quite noisy.

They are indeed. I'm hard of hearing, plus they had me wearing headphones, but it still seemed quite loud.

It's like a bad 1980s German techno band playing.

I have had two of them.They let you take a cd with you so that you can listen to your favourite music.With the headphones on I closed my eyes and just listened to the music in between the weird noises it makes.