Panic attack during MRI scan

My mother, who has struggled with claustrophobia, was concerned about panicking during her first MRI. Relaxation techniques -- especially square breathing -- helped her control the anxiety. For her second MRI, Mom's doctor arranged for an "open MRI" which doesn't have an enclosed chamber. If an open MRI isn't available, consider asking the doctor for a mild sedative.

Was going to suggest the open MRI myself, but i dont think its something available at the ready here in Sheffield

M MIL has had quite a few, they usually last about 20 minutes or so... the GP has given her a sedative to help with nerves and the ilk.

I had am MRI in December and panicked, the Dr gave me some glasses with mirrors attached which enabled me to see out of the back of the machine, I was fine then made the difference ask for the glasses

If you are having a brain scan at the Hallamshire there is a mirror attached to the head cage . Didn't get a mirror at Weston park .

Unfortunately mirrors would do me no good at all because they take my glasses off me when I get in the machine.

Yes they do to me Medusa but the mirror is very close .I have bad eye sight but could make out the opening behind me . Maybe it's magnified !

I'm way too short sighted for it to make any difference to me.

Thanks for all the replies. Its helpful to know im not weird or unusual by getting panicky when i went in the machine. I couldnt help but feel foolish though and must have apologised 20 times to the two technicians. Ill ask the doc about one of those open scanners so a big thanks for that and if one isnt available ill try someone of the things mentioned on here but i think ill also need to let the doc know it could be a bit of a problem getting an MRI done in the same type of machine. Then at least other options could be explored?

Thank you again everyone :)

You don't need to apologise! Explain to your doctor before you go, and confirm with the people at the scanning room that you feel nervous.

it's not a problem for the staff, they're used to it - and you can concentrate of relaxing, and feeling "in control". :-D

Are the MRI scans the ones that make a sort of whirring noise? Having trouble remembering the noise exactly but I think it was I had. I had problems with my kidney so they scanned me but I went feet in first. I was still nervous though even though my head wasn't in, I think maybe it was the noise of the machine. Just something unsettling about them.

Remember then injecting me with a liquid that would help show stuff up on the scanner. Also think I had a second scan and that time I had to drink something.

Edited by Love2print
typo

Are the MRI scans the ones that make a sort of whirring noise? Having trouble remembering the noise exactly but I think it was I had. I had problems with my kidney so they scanned me but I went feet in first. I was still nervous though even though my head wasn't in, I think maybe it was the noise of the machine. Just something unsettling about them.

Remember then injecting me with a liquid that would help show stuff up on the scanner. Also think I had a second scan and that time I had to drink something.

CT scanners make a gentle whirr, MRI scanners sound like you've got your head inside a washing machine full of scrap metal. Actually no, it's too rhythmic for that. 30 seconds of 'bangbangbangbangbang' followed by 50 seconds of 'bangpopbangpopbangpopbangpop' then 20 seconds of nothing then another 'bangbangbangbang' session and 'dongdongdongdong' for a bit.

Must gave been a CT then don't remember it sounding like a washing machine or worse. I still didn't like it though, can't say why.

I had an MRI last year, I started getting migraines that would pretty much knock me out, so they wanted to rule out the possibility of a tumour.

It wasn't the most fun I've ever had, as I'm slightly claustrophobic, the rythmic banging was very loud and they forgot to connect the headphones so I couldn't really hear the operator.

I just lay there and concentrated on counting while breathing.

I'm just glad it was only my head they needed to image.

The staff were brilliant though