The antics of certain cyclists in Sheffield.

Have you been out driving this morning? I only ask because at least 4 drivers this morning have overtaken me far to close. Maybe one of them was you.

Maybe it wasnt. Maybe the cars didnt go to close to you but in fact you weaved into their path or just went too close to them? Maybe you were at fault. Is that possible?

You're just demonstrating your ignorance some more...

give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211 to 213) and 214 to 215).

Motorcyclists and cyclists may suddenly need to avoid uneven road surfaces and obstacles such as drain covers or oily, wet or icy patches on the road. Give them plenty of room and pay particular attention to any sudden change of direction they may have to make.

But for your information, no I didn't swerve or wobble. They simply couldn't be bothered to pull out to safely overtake.

I struggle to understand how you can possibly imagine that being overtaken dangerously whilst cycling could EVER be the cyclists fault. The onus of care is on the vehicle performing the overtake.

And this is why debate with you is pointless. You don't care, you're not interested in being better or safer, you just want to prove some sort of point.

Edited by Cyclone

You're just demonstrating your ignorance some more...

By asking a question?

By thinking that if I wobbled that would somehow make the dangerous overtake my fault.

Have you been out driving this morning? I only ask because at least 4 drivers this morning have overtaken me far to close. Maybe one of them was you.

And this is why motorists should be required to learn to cycle. So that they understand how to drive around cyclists safely.

Why wouldn't you want to? Scared to learn something was a bit flippant, but what's the real reason?

Oh, with regards to your analogy, if you think aircraft and milk floats share the same space like cars and bikes then you've got it a bit confused.

Another example from this morning as I was cycling to work along Effingham Road, a car overtaking me as I had my arm out indicating to turn right who had plenty of time to slow down to allow me to turn. Not for the first time at the same place.

By thinking that if I wobbled that would somehow make the dangerous overtake my fault.

I asked a question. I know you struggle to debate on this subject but come on, if you cant even answer a question without getting all uppity and defensive, well theres little point carrying on is there.

Glad you didnt get injured by the way and id suggest you invest in a helmet or bike cam if you havent already :)

The whole problem here is that SOME cyclists want it all their own way. They want to be given respect and space as road users, then when it suits, they want to use a footpath (normally to avoid stopping at a red light), and still demand respect from other road and pavement users.

Sorry but I was always taught that respect can not be given, it has to be earned.

As long as the cycling Mafia are on here, proper debate is not possible as they will slew any argument as quick as they mount the kerb at a red light to justify their poor behaviour and expect others to agree with their warped sense of right and wrong.

The point is anyone can ride a bike on road. No training or experience required. I agree SOME cyclists are not fit and are a danger to themselves and others. SOME DRIVERS are a danger too as they drive aggresively or illegally.

---------- Post added 15-05-2015 at 09:47 ----------

And this is why motorists should be required to learn to cycle. So that they understand how to drive around cyclists safely.

Why wouldn't you want to? Scared to learn something was a bit flippant, but what's the real reason?

Oh, with regards to your analogy, if you think aircraft and milk floats share the same space like cars and bikes then you've got it a bit confused.

It sounds like you dont know how to road cycle safely if 4 cars are supposedly so close every morning.

Car drivers train and take tests. Do all cyclists?

It sounds like you dont know how to road cycle safely if 4 cars are supposedly so close every morning.

Most cyclists are also cardrivers and know very well how to cycle safely on the road.

The real danger is in arrogant drivers who think they are qualified, tested and own the road while they are actually angry and jealous at the freedom and grace of these cyclists.

The point is anyone can ride a bike on road. No training or experience required. I agree SOME cyclists are not fit and are a danger to themselves and others. SOME DRIVERS are a danger too as they drive aggresively or illegally.

---------- Post added 15-05-2015 at 09:47 ----------

Is that the best argument you can put forward? Weak.

You're right, car drivers do train and take tests, and even then do not have the decency or common sense to respect other road users.

Most cyclists are also cardrivers and know very well how to cycle safely on the road.

The real danger is in arrogant drivers who think they are qualified, tested and own the road while they are actually angry and jealous at the freedom and grace of these cyclists.

So why are so many cyclists unsafe? We have a selection of anecdotes on this thread.

before this one turns into some crazy rant about which party are to blame (motorists or cyclists), i am not trying to persecute cyclists plural, only a certain percentage of cyclists and if anything i am more worried about the welfare of these cyclists if anything as i feel the antics that i have witnessed could eventually find them injured at the very least.

I work in a position where driving plays a large percentage in my daily role. I spend a large percentage of my working week on the roads in and around the city and i don't know whether it coincides with the pleasant change in the weather but lately i have noticed a different sort of cyclist on the road. At the first glance these cyclists obviously don't appear to be seasoned cyclists as they don't have models of bikes designed to be used on the road on a daily basis and they don't wear waterproof / cycling clothing. Most importantly though they seem very naive to the highway code and the dangers surrounding them whilst on the roads.

Take for example penistone road only yesterday. One cyclist on a bike that without expertise in my opinion was more suited to off road cycling. He joined the carriageway up by the college at hillsborough despite the fact that he had a nice clear cycle path to cycle along. My gripe isn't that he joined the carriageway but the manner in which he made his way along the carriageway starting off at the curbside and regularly switching into the middle of the road between cars in order to try an overtake cars. This cyclist never once took care to look around him as he veered in and out of motorists and on two occasions cars had to brake to accommodate his ridiculously hazardous antics. In fact if the skoda fabia driver is reading this i salute you for your perception and reactions when this cyclist cut you up as if you hadn't had your wits about you, the cyclist would have come a cropper.

Then we have the other (at least) half a dozen cyclists that i have seen over the last week or so, again weaving in and out of carriageways. Regularly disappearing in blind spots, tailgating cars ridiculous closely, switching between pavements and carriageways without looking around for oncoming motorists, running red lights at junctions narrowly missing oncoming traffic.

The actions are ridiculously careless and could see you severely injured at a bare minimum. Is it really worth it? Do you value 2 the potential 2 minutes that you might shave off your journey in favour of your own life?

I am all for cycling. I'm not a cyclist personally but in my professional i can appreciate the benefits that cycling has when it comes to fitness and i am sure that cycling has many other benefits. I am not knocking cyclists as a whole, seasoned cyclists execute their daily commute with skill, common sense and in full compliance with the basics of the highway code. Unfortunately as with motorists you have a minority who simply shouldn't be on the road without further training.

If you are one of these cyclists! Please think twice! When you veer around behind me or suddenly cut me up from my blind side from nowhere or suddenly appear in front of me at a junction which should be clear due to lights.....i can't see you, i don't know you are there! And whilst i drive with caution and with a perception of potential hazards around me, sometimes these things are inevitable and it wouldn't be any fault of my own. I don't want to have to live with the fact that i have severely injured a cyclist or worse. Please, please, please think twice!

Does it matter who is at fault . They will never get it in there thick heads its them that gets a leg knocked off.

Is that the best argument you can put forward? Weak.

You're right, car drivers do train and take tests, and even then do not have the decency or common sense to respect other road users.

I was responding to the call for all car drivers to cycle.

Tbh the arrogance of cyclists on this thread is telling. Jealousy about freedom and grace? Really?