Montgomery Dental Care - What was it before?

Hi everyone!

The dental practice on Infirmary road (Montgomery Dental Practice) used to be a grand building with stables previously.

Does anyone know who owned it or have any information on its history?

Many thanks

VIP

Hi vipguy - the building (Montgomery House, 83-85 Infirmary Road) dates from the 1860s. I remember it in the 1970s as the "Montgomery House Medical Centre" and prior to this it had always been used by doctors for both domestic and professional purposes. It was built for Dr James Mason, a farmer's son from the County of Rutland who had qualified as a physician in London and later took an M.D. degree at Edinburgh. He practised there until the 1890s, after which "Herbert Leonard Hudson, surgeon" is shown in directories. At that time many doctors in general practice would have had a horse and "doctor's gig" and there was a stable block at the back, arrowed on this old map.

Edited by hillsbro

Dr. R. Burns took it over in the early 60s when he moved from the corner of St. Phillips Road and Malinda Street he was our doctor at the time and I moved when I got married in 66 so it was before then

Thank you so much for the input. Greatly appreciated. I have asked because my mother now goes there for her regular dental checkup but informed me it has always been a prestigious residence.

Does show the eminence that doctor's held in the past.

Thank you to all!

VIP

Dr. R. Burns took it over in the early 60s when he moved from the corner of St. Phillips Road and Malinda Street he was our doctor at the time and I moved when I got married in 66 so it was before then

Dr Burns rings a bell but I thought he was there before the 60s.

I know it was a doctors in the late 1940s when my parents and the rest of the family visited. My doctor was the first door on the left as you went in through the big front door. I remember a Dr Barrowclough and a Dr Greaves being there in the early sixties.

I don't think any doctors used the upstairs during the 40s and 50s

[ not as many people around then] but the early 60s saw the upstairs opening up as a dentist, could have been a little before the early 60s.

I just can't remember his name but he was very popular and well liked then came more dentists. It's strange going upstairs to the dentist now because in the early 1950s no one was allowed up there and the place as I remember it was very dark and dingy.

Hi jaffa1 - you have a good memory! Dr C. Harold Wilson was the doctor at Montgomery House in the 1940s and 1950s, and it became a group practice around 1960. The 1965 directory shows Dr D.G. Barrowcliffe, Dr B. Burns, Dr H. Grundman and Dr G.R.S. Jackson there. By 1970 Dr Barrowcliffe had left and Dr C.W. Greaves had evidently taken his place, also there were two dentists, F. and A. Ditchfield.

Doctor Wilson was our family Doctor way back when we lived in the area. Was the 'receptionist' called Mrs. Oates?

Hi jaffa1 - you have a good memory! Dr C. Harold Wilson was the doctor at Montgomery House in the 1940s and 1950s, and it became a group practice around 1960. The 1965 directory shows Dr D.G. Barrowcliffe, Dr B. Burns, Dr H. Grundman and Dr G.R.S. Jackson there. By 1970 Dr Barrowcliffe had left and Dr C.W. Greaves had evidently taken his place, also there were two dentists, F. and A. Ditchfield.

Thanks for that Hillsbro , Dr Wilson was our doctor and I do remember Grundman also at the same time as Greaves was young Dr Hopkinson.

Ditchfield was the name of the dentist I was searching for.

---------- Post added 25-04-2015 at 18:47 ----------

Doctor Wilson was our family Doctor way back when we lived in the area. Was the 'receptionist' called Mrs. Oates?

I think it was Mrs Oates the black haired dragon, you had to be dying to get through her to see a doctor although I do remember before the appointment system began we would just sit outside the doctors surgery with my mother just waiting your turn with everyone coughing and spluttering and the old men smoking their pipes.