Bomb Found Worksop Road Attercliffe

Just been told the road is to be closed around the low bridge - near the Cocked Hat where the DVS used to be.

Gonna be chaos later.

Suipertram services suspended tween cricket inn rd and meadowhall and tickets accpted on Northern rail

From Stagecoach Twitter feed

Bomb disposal teams are on their way but disruption expected to continue for several hours between Meadowhall & Cricket Inn Rd. Tram tickets will be accepted on @northernrailorg services between Meadowhall and Sheffield Station

My husband works nearby, and they are considering evacuation at the moment!

We often get stories of WW2 bombs that havent gone off. Given the amount I'm surprised the Germans managed to blitz us given how bad their success rate was.

We often get stories of WW2 bombs that havent gone off. Given the amount I'm surprised the Germans managed to blitz us given how bad their success rate was.
'Often'?

Do you have any idea how much stuff like this still turns up in north eastern France every year, uninterruptedly for the past 6+ decades?

Tons. And I mean that literally, in metric units.

What little ordnance still turns up in blitzed areas of the UK every now and then is peanuts. But just as deadly.

Wonder why they've only spotted it now and not when they were actually building DVS.

Wonder why they've only spotted it now and not when they were actually building DVS.
It might have laid buried deeper at the time the DVS was built, and worked its way up over time. Or the DVS was built with shallower footings than what they're building now.

They didn't seem to do too badly a few hundred yards up the road on Bridport, Whixley, Worksop and Wilstrop Roads.

This bomb could quite possibly from the same lot that caused this damage given the close proximity.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s01349&prevUrl=

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s01102

Edited by Odd-jobs

They usually know where the UXBs are. They can plot the line of bombs that were dropped by each plane. If there is a row of craters with one missing in the middle it is usually a UXB.