Sharrow Litter Pick, Little Shop of Chocs

Do you still operate a litter pick in the sharrow area? I would be interested in participating, it is open to anyone?

Yes, we do. Every first Saturday of each month including this Saturday at 10am as usual. Jeannie will be here and in charge (if there is any charge) of proceedings. Thanks. There are lots and lots of litter picks around the city these days and if you're on Facebook have a look at them on The Sheffield Litter Pickers page.

I think it is great that you make time in your life to try to clean up these grotty areas, but it makes me mad that its there because of a type of people that are happy to live in there own filth. Up hill battle and personally i would leave them to fester in there own sess !

I live in the area too and am not happy to live in my filth or their filth. If an area is cleaner it tends to attract less additional filth so we're hoping that by cleaning up we have that effect. It is a constant, uphill battle but not one that I want to look at any more. I can't moan about it and do nothing and sadly, where I live, it's a mess. I'm trying to get educators into the local schools to ioscuss littering with pupils, I'm trying to sort out rubbish collections with the council etc etc and once it is immaculate I'll retire and sort something else that annoys me.

I live in the area too and am not happy to live in my filth or their filth. If an area is cleaner it tends to attract less additional filth so we're hoping that by cleaning up we have that effect. It is a constant, uphill battle but not one that I want to look at any more. I can't moan about it and do nothing and sadly, where I live, it's a mess. I'm trying to get educators into the local schools to ioscuss littering with pupils, I'm trying to sort out rubbish collections with the council etc etc and once it is immaculate I'll retire and sort something else that annoys me.

Well the world could do with more people like you granted ! Maybe i cant see past the end of my nose But i have no time to give for people who cant be bothered, people who create these rubbish filled areas fall in to this category, all the same good on you for trying !!

Edited by Starlc

Wish we had a similar group in Broomhall.

Have asked on The Sheffield Litter Pickers on Facebook if there is a group there already. If not would you want to create/join one? I'm sure I can find others to assist.

---------- Post added 12-08-2016 at 10:54 ----------

Wish we had a similar group in Broomhall.

Have had no response on Facebook. Would you like to set it up?

Have asked on The Sheffield Litter Pickers on Facebook if there is a group there already. If not would you want to create/join one? I'm sure I can find others to assist.

Unlikely - he just posts one sentence replies on threads as a way of advertising his van business.

there is a litter pick this coming saturday morning at heathfields park, halfway. refreshments after provided by morrisons. it's a lovely park and quite a few of us who walk our dogs there reguarly pick up litter as we go (along with the dog poo before anyone comments). Over the last few months that have been people coming from further afield which has sadly meant a big increase in litter. I don't mind people coming to enjoy the park and share the space - i just wish they would walk about three paces and put their rubbish in the bin.

Hi all

We occasionally have a litter problem in our area, always created by the refuse collectors, even though we are still a partial student area. There is always more litter after they've been to empty the bins than before they arrive. We have filmed and photographed this. They spill stuff out of (students') overfilled bins as they take them to the lorry with the lids open, and it just spills out, they don't pick it up, so it stays on the street. Shocking but true.

So don't litter-pick (though very commendable) because you are in fact shooting yourself in the foot. Ring the environment people at Veolia, tell them about the litter, and they will come and remove it.

If you don't hassle them they'll never do anything about the litter in our streets, or do anything about the refuse men dropping litter, or students leaving their bins out for weeks blowing over and shedding litter.

Don't mask the inefficient Veolia subcontractor's services by doing their job for them. They are reducing the work they actually do every year. They are supposed to fine students (or anyone) for leaving their troublesome litter-shedding bins on the front all the time, but never do, because that involves work for them by taking photos and writing letters to the guilty householders.

We as a community association keep on at them to do their work and basically it works. We have very little litter now. The bins are the key to less litter. Each new academic year litter and bins left out happens until the students get that fine warning letter from Veolia.

Edited by Jeddo

Unlikely - he just posts one sentence replies on threads as a way of advertising his van business.

Lost me as a potential customer if that's the case.

---------- Post added 15-08-2016 at 17:03 ----------

there is a litter pick this coming saturday morning at heathfields park, halfway. refreshments after provided by morrisons. it's a lovely park and quite a few of us who walk our dogs there reguarly pick up litter as we go (along with the dog poo before anyone comments). Over the last few months that have been people coming from further afield which has sadly meant a big increase in litter. I don't mind people coming to enjoy the park and share the space - i just wish they would walk about three paces and put their rubbish in the bin.

Where have you promoted your litter pick? What time? Have you put it on The Sheffield Litter Pickers page on Facebook?

---------- Post added 15-08-2016 at 17:07 ----------

Hi all

We occasionally have a litter problem in our area, always created by the refuse collectors, even though we are still a partial student area. There is always more litter after they've been to empty the bins than before they arrive. We have filmed and photographed this. They spill stuff out of (students') overfilled bins as they take them to the lorry with the lids open, and it just spills out, they don't pick it up, so it stays on the street. Shocking but true.

So don't litter-pick (though very commendable) because you are in fact shooting yourself in the foot. Ring the environment people at Veolia, tell them about the litter, and they will come and remove it.

If you don't hassle them they'll never do anything about the litter in our streets, or do anything about the refuse men dropping litter, or students leaving their bins out for weeks blowing over and shedding litter.

Don't mask the inefficient Veolia subcontractor's services by doing their job for them. They are reducing the work they actually do every year. They are supposed to fine students (or anyone) for leaving their troublesome litter-shedding bins on the front all the time, but never do, because that involves work for them by taking photos and writing letters to the guilty householders.

We as a community association keep on at them to do their work and basically it works. We have very little litter now. The bins are the key to less litter. Each new academic year litter and bins left out happens until the students get that fine warning letter from Veolia.

There's no difference between when the bins are emptied and before they are so that may be the case where you live but not where I do. I think your attitude is rather odd. There is no way it could all be down to bin emptying. Wouldn't it be more effective to discuss with residents what they should do with their bins rather than blaming them and the bin men. I know the bin men aren't perfect but hassling them would just encourage me to do even less, if I was one.