Can anyone recommend a decent kettle!

I sympathise with the OP. I paid well over the odds for a Kenwood which I was not impressed with and didn't last long. Then I had a Breville which outlasted the Kenwood by at least a couple of years - wasn't cheap though, but it's been the longest so far. Now I've got a Bosch - not overly impressed with it so far - first clean it had, the lettering all smudged and looks a mess and it failed to auto switch off the other day and I've only had it less than 8 months - but let's see.

-----------------

I had a Krups that lasted for ages and now have cuisinart multi temp and a morphy Richards elipta. Both seem very robust so far.

I had a £5.00 kettle from Argos that lasted me 7 years. I know its not long but for that price you cant grumble.

The main problem is the quality of the same made- in- Taiwan switch, fitted to all these different models. ( My Kenwood now, won't auto switch off). Some will last much longer than others, all down to luck. I'm now convinced that the only reason Miele don't make kettles is because they can't buy in a switch of suitable quality ie one which would last say 10 years or more.

Can also recommend a gas hob type kettle, they are pretty good.

We have this one, it is superb. Quick to boil, cool to the touch, keeps the water hot for ages, and a long guarantee.

Got it from an instore promotion at Coles with a big discount.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magimix-Brushed-Stainless-Kettle-Charcoal/dp/B004TRGXA6/ref=sr_1_4/275-7942250-7258420?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1429802074&sr=1-4&keywords=magimix+kettles

Bloody ell! That's s bit posh! :hihi:

I've just thrown my old kettle out even though it was still working fine it was just a bit manky; it amused me when I looked at the label and found it was manufacture for woolworths - when did they close, it must be many years ago.

Just get a cheapo one from a supermarket. Look at the reviews for the £100+ superkettles and you'll see they are just not worth the money. You just need something that will make the water hot, no point in spending a fortune.

It's not how old the kettle is but how many boilups it has done. I'm retired and home all day so mine gets a lot of use. I recently had two £20 (sale) Russell Hobbs fail after only 18 months use, one after the other over 3 years. The heating element failed with the leakage to earth fault. I had descaled it regularly and frequently and never let it boil with too little water in. Before those two I had a cheapie kettle that lasted a bit longer. But I agree, they don't last long enough. Years ago they lasted about 10 years or so. I think they make them to fail after about 18 months, just as the guarantee runs out.

:roll: 2 pages, many replies, :loopy: I am about to lose the will to live :loopy:

How did we cope before the internet???

A Kettle?? What next ? Can anyone recommend a decent thread :P