Wood Lane House Farm at Stannington

Does anyone have information about the history of this place and any links with Mousehole Forge?

The stunning Georgian Farmhouse nestles between the Loxley and Rivelin Valleys in the North West of Sheffield.

Set in tranquil wooded gardens it is a haven for wildlife

and has a fascinating history as a building. It was built

over 200 years ago for William Armitage Esq. who

was a partner of the famous Mousehole Forge,

the world leaders in Anvil production.

http://www.woodlanecc.org.uk/

In the 1950s we knew it as "Stenton's farm" as Harold Stenton farmed the land and we would earn pocket money helping out at haymaking time etc.

My Grandmother [my Father's Mother] was the maid at the 'Big house' which backs on to the farm house and faces east towards Hillsborough. Her name was Hannah Elston. She married the gardeners son William Rhodes who's Father was also called William. They were married at All Saints Church in Stannington on 7th Nov 1895. William the gardener lived across the  other side of Wood Lane in one of the cottages that faced the back of the Anvil pub. When my  Father was born, his sister had to go and stay with her Grandparents in that cottage and told me as she lay in bed she could hear the tubs rumbling along the rails in the gannister drift mine that ran under the cottage. The cottage is no longer there. The 'big house' was lived in by a steel manufacturer whose name was, I think, Beardshaw.

Cheers, Pete

I wonder if this was the Beardshaws  who had the steel firm near Norfolk  Bridge?

Thanks for the scan hillsbro, very interesting.

I've no idea where the steel firm was but I suspect you're right, bullerboY.