Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

Some car drivers do not pay road tax.

---------- Post added 23-04-2015 at 07:05 ----------

Will the next motorist ,lorry driver that is killed in a crash by a cyclist please stand up.

---------- Post added 23-04-2015 at 07:12 ----------

You are having a laugh, have you ever been knocked of a bike [peddle or motor] by a motorist who's standard reply as you are carried of to A@E is Sorry I never saw you.

The same statement as when a child or other pedestrian is run over due to speeding.

If you can't see some one you should not be in charge of a ton of deadly metal.

---------- Post added 23-04-2015 at 07:15 ----------

You are right there are millions of cars in the U.K who display the no road tax disc.

Cuttsie, Yes,I have been knocked off a motorcycle some years ago by a car driver coming around a bend far too fast and I still have the long scar on my leg to this day and that was in 1970 before the 'Compo' culture he too said he didn't see me so I got zilch nevertheless I stand by my original view.

In the relative short time I've properly lived in Sheffield, I've witnessed a disproportionate amount of abuse and aggressive deliberate dangerous driving from motorists towards cyclists. As a motorist only I find this extremely shocking and wondered where all this animosity comes from, and why anyone even bothers to commute by bicycle in Sheffield?

The answer is a simple one.

Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

Ignorance.

Im quite sure people think the same about cyclists in Leeds, and Manchester, and Birmingham etc...

Why the opening poster thinks it is a Sheffield-specific hatred is beyond me.

Im quite sure people think the same about cyclists in Leeds, and Manchester, and Birmingham etc...

Why the opening poster thinks it is a Sheffield-specific hatred is beyond me.

True. If anything from what I hear, Sheffield does not compare to London.

Perhaps if cyclists stuck to the road signs and the law, then people would respect them more ,I doubt this will happen.When does a RED light mean go thru ,when does a stop sign mean go thru ,why is it ok to overtake on the nearside ,why is ok to go up or down a one way street the wrong way

Edited by leginemro

Guest sibon
Perhaps if cyclists stuck to the road signs and the law, then people would respect them more ,I doubt this will happen

Sticking to the law? Or respecting cyclists?

Which one do you doubt?

Perhaps if cyclists stuck to the road signs and the law, then people would respect them more ,I doubt this will happen

Isn't funny how quick some motorists do not seem to believe that the law doesn't apply to them. For example, how many motorists stick to the 70mph limit on the motor way? Whenever I'm going down the motorway it seems that only a small minority does.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

There is no such thing as Road Tax, it is Vehicle Excise Duty, and is based on the emission levels of the vehicle. Some low emission motor vehicles are taxed at zero, therefore one could assume that cycles would be similarly taxed. The proceeds from VED were ring fenced for road building and maintenance, but I think they now go into the general taxation pool.

The damage caused to roads by cycles is negligible, so if we all rode bikes the roads would last longer, our air would be cleaner and we would all be healthier!

Perhaps if cyclists stuck to the road signs and the law, then people would respect them more ,I doubt this will happen.When does a RED light mean go thru ,when does a stop sign mean go thru ,why is it ok to overtake on the nearside ,why is ok to go up or down a one way street the wrong way

You do realise that filtering on the inside is legal don't you?

---------- Post added 23-04-2015 at 09:43 ----------

Can you imagine if the bicycle never existed and someone invented it today and took it on Dragons Den....

<snip>

Now do one advocating people driving round in motorised metal boxes that will result in thousands of deaths a year.

Hmm, so that is the justification for cyclists jumping red lights on junctions and pedestrian crossings is it? What IS the justification for so many cyclists jumping and blatently ignoring traffic signals?

When a car races the lights at 20, 30 0r forty miles per hour it is a million times more dangerous than a cyclist tinkering through when safe to do so.