Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

Speaking of cameras, fortunately I own my own and so I am free to publish the video. And I've now (after a bit of experimentation) learnt how to inset the rear view within the forward view, gives a nice view of cars overtaking.

So, my commute home today.

Firstly, there's the pedestrian stepping out in front of me as I do about 20mph down hill.

I shouted, he ran out of the way. Luckily I was watching him and realised what he was going to do.

Then at the traffic lights, see the silver SUV that has at least run a yellow when it could have stopped, but given that I actually have a green before he clears the lights to the left, he probably ran the red.

But the one that really pee'd me off, and that is directly related to adam's comments about positioning at the traffic lights is the driver of the silver blue Insignia. He was within inches me as he passed. He then appears 20 seconds later close to another cyclist. And then, he's just a few seconds in front of me, for all his dangerous overtaking when he turns right.

For reference I included the best overtake on the commute by the blue audi A4.

And you can even see the not a cycle lane on Infirmary Rd, despite it looking a lot like a cycle lane.

Great attitude to take. Firstly, read my post again. I don't presume the cyclists have got to out-accelerate a car, I'm stating that cyclists regularly get to the front of the queue and then put the front end of their cycles in front of the traffic giving cars limited opportunity to overtake safely when the lights change. They have to wait for the cyclist to move out of the way.

Secondly, I'm guessing it was a wedding ring or something, regardless, the cyclist jumped a red light with pedestrians on a crossing and he had absolutely no right on earth to touch my car whether it left a scratch or not. That just highlights your attitude and other cyclists towards other vehicles.

Thirdly, I collect the video as do four other vehicles that I am aware of in Sheffield. I get to see the video I have collected and not anybody elses. It is collected for a research group in an organisation who release the statistics back to people in the group. I'm sure I could probably get to see the other videos as well but I am not responsible for handling the video data or whether it gets released to the public domain. I accepted the offer of having the cameras fitted to my vehicle because I got sick of car drivers attitudes and bad driving habits, plus being the the close friend of an accident victim who is no longer with us thanks to a driver who thought he could squeeze through a light changing to red.

Given your response it's now starting to become clear why there is animosity towards cyclists. I used to be one, cycled Burncross to City Centre daily but gave up when the rest of the cyclists didn't bother with the rules and I got included with the bad reputation.

It's a shame we can't watch this video. I'm wondering how the cyclist got close enough to bang on your car roof. Did he deliberately ride closer to you? Because if it was while you were overtaking, you were far too close.

The correct minced oath is "Flipping Heck" and being a euphemism for the other "F-word" should be considered masked swearing and not allowed on this forum.

It would seem I was right.

Given that, it's a good job I didn't use the "correct minced oath" (unlike you). But I take your point and will refrain from using the particular word I used in future, just in case people come to the conclusion that I'm using a euphemism for a euphemism for a euphemism. ;)

I guess that overtake is so common place that nobody even has a comment. Just another cyclists life at risk due to dangerous driving, nothing to say...

(And I spent ages figuring out how to do the inset rear video).

I guess that overtake is so common place that nobody even has a comment. Just another cyclists life at risk due to dangerous driving, nothing to say...

(And I spent ages figuring out how to do the inset rear video).

About sums it up, to be honest

Try being further into the lane. Last time I did at that point a private hire pulled alongside and left into me then shouted "Oi! No need to swerve into my effing wing mirror!"

I don't think some people even know what's going on sometimes

---------- Post added 21-07-2015 at 22:27 ----------

Anyway, just to we don't feel all alone - it's not just cyclists that are treated like they are not there..

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-videos/video-is-this-the-worlds-worst-smidsy/27960.html

All hail adamskiec, saviour to the human race. You're coming across a tad sanctimonious and a bit of a vain cryarse

So, I get picked on for some ecological comment that I had nothing to do with, then get picked on for defending myself? Thanks a bunch. Your comment does nothing other an attemt to insult me and contributes nothing to the thread.

How did you get to and from South America. ..by plane? I wonder if your 8 years were carbon neutral:)

Yes, by plane, it's quicker than rowing and less strenuous than swimming and generally the same method as most eco-tourists would take before experiencing the Earth as it should be and be able to educate themselves, their children and their grandchildren about how to make it last.

Flippineck, is this some kind of pettiness competition?

No, it's other members doing their best to not contribute productively to the thread and use their efforts on sarcasm towards me in an attempt to belittle me and make me out to be a pompous tw*t. They are probably succeeding but in the end I've not attacked anybody personally and if they feel happy aiming ridiculous statements and comments at me it's up to them. In the end it does come down to online bullying and attempts to make other members look foolish, which isn't very fair but they just claim it to be free speech these days. It's the cost of joining a forum like this.

It's a shame we can't watch this video. I'm wondering how the cyclist got close enough to bang on your car roof. Did he deliberately ride closer to you? Because if it was while you were overtaking, you were far too close.

I was in the left hand lane heading towards Holme Lane but turning left towards Maplins. I stopped at the crossing outside Wilkinsons, the cyclist came up the right hand side of me and proceeded through the crossing with the lights on red. I beeped quickly, not a long drawn out cry of anger or anything and when the lights changed I pulled forward to head towards my left turn. As I passed the now stationary-for-a-second cyclist who was on my right (obviously heading for Holme Lane in the right lane) he hit my roof. Detailed enough for yer? Or should I have given the cyclist two lanes of space, the right and the left?

Thanks for the bickering folks, I hope the OP can figure out why the animosity was there. Seems to me like it's just animosity between everybody, not just cyclists and drivers. What a wonderful world we live in.

the cyclist came up the right hand side of me and proceeded through the crossing with the lights on red.

Red lights are optional for cyclists, that's where you went wrong.

Other rules to remember:

- Cyclists are free to ride on the pavement, especially if it transfers their own personal risk borne from their own transport choices, on to innocent pedestrians using the pavements for their intended purpose

- Cyclists need to be overtaken as if they are the width of 2 tankers. Failure to do so is dangerous and you should instead stay behind the cyclist.

- Cyclists are never wrong. They choose the green option and are therefore better people than anyone else.

- Don't mention road tax. It's VED, and the money that motorists pay (along with fuel duty, VAT on fuel duty, car insurance premium tax) doesn't contribute AT ALL towards the roads - it is burnt into thin air. Only income tax revenue is ever used towards road funding, and most of that is diverted directly from people who tick the "Cyclist?" box on their self-assessment form.

As you seem to be unable to remain civil or even remotely well sensible on this subject and given the number of reports it's generating for the moderating team to deal with the subject is now closed.

If you have a problem with that take it to the helpdesk